• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frank_e_h

Aug 27, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    For the first time in my recollection I went into a gunshop and the sales guy pulled a couple pistols out of a display and handed them to me without checking/clearing the chamber. I assumed this was standard practice but admittedly I havent been into much more than half a dozen shops.
    Would you:
    A) not say anything and just check/clear it yourself,
    B) say something,
    C) check it yourself and when done shopping leave and not come back

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Any time I take possession of a gun, I check it. Any time I hand off a gun to someone else, I visibly check it in front of them for them before handing it over. If they don't get the hint, they don't get the hint. It would only bother me if they had sh!tty muzzle discipline in conjunction with not checking.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Check it yourself

If you feel legitimately unsafe steer clear of the shop

If you don't and you're just one of those folks that wants to remind people of the standards of conduct every chance he gets then also steer clear cause you're just as likely to piss them off as you are change their behavior

As someone else said here not our job to teach their employees

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    For the first time in my recollection I went into a gunshop and the sales guy pulled a couple pistols out of a display and handed them to me without checking/clearing the chamber. I assumed this was standard practice but admittedly I havent been into much more than half a dozen shops.
    Would you:
    A) not say anything and just check/clear it yourself,
    B) say something,
    C) check it yourself and when done shopping leave and not come back

I have seen this a lot. Almost every shop I have been to in the last month has done this. I have no issues with them doing this to me because I will clear it. My issue is when they do it to others who don't clear it. The others almost immediately turn it sideways so the barrel is pointing towards people next to them.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I have seen this a lot. Almost every shop I have been to in the last month has done this. I have no issues with them doing this to me because I will clear it. My issue is when they do it to others who don't clear it. The others almost immediately turn it sideways so the barrel is pointing towards people next to them.
    That right there would likely trigger a verbal tune up.

TBH, I don't recall *ever* being handed a gun at a shop that wasn't cleared by the sales staff.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Check it and move on with your life. Buy the gun if it's what you came for.

I've had gun store employees clear a firearm and hand it to me with the breach closed. I STILL rack the slide and check for myself. I know it's unloaded, but that muscle memory is beat into my brain to the point where I will never pickup a firearm and not clear it.

The only time I've ever corrected someone in a gun shop was when a customer kept flagging me. I will also always ask if I can dry fire the gun, as I think it's just common courtesy (I won't buy a gun without pulling the trigger at least once). If I am asking to pull the trigger, I am 95% of the way there to buying it.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Always verify it is clear, even if just done in front of you. No explanation needed.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Just something interesting to note, back when I worked the gun counter at basspro, we had some events that proved why checking the gun is a good idea. One was a henry golden boy that came through. It was pulled out of the box, the action was opened, and a live .22 kicked out. I guess f-ups happen from the test-firing line or somewhere else up the chain as well. So even a brand new gun taken straight from the box shouldn't be considered "safe".
    There's also some videos online of gun shop counters where customers slide a loose round into the chamber from a pocket when handling a gun. There's no real reason why someone shouldn't take personal responsibility for any gun in his or her possession....cough...alec baldwin...cough.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Any time I take possession of a gun, I check it. Any time I hand off a gun to someone else, I visibly check it in front of them for them before handing it over. If they don't get the hint, they don't get the hint. It would only bother me if they had sh!tty muzzle discipline in conjunction with not checking.

This. No matter what someone does with it before they hand it to me, I always check it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom