• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Gun store employees; Does it offend, or bother you if a customer checks the chamber after handing them a gun? Genuine question. Do you feel they don't trust you if they do? I could have sworn, either here, or another gun forum, I read where a gun was checked and had a round in it.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    UhWBdc.gif

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Check it and move on with your life. Buy the gun if it's what you came for.

I've had gun store employees clear a firearm and hand it to me with the breach closed. I STILL rack the slide and check for myself. I know it's unloaded, but that muscle memory is beat into my brain to the point where I will never pickup a firearm and not clear it.

The only time I've ever corrected someone in a gun shop was when a customer kept flagging me. I will also always ask if I can dry fire the gun, as I think it's just common courtesy (I won't buy a gun without pulling the trigger at least once). If I am asking to pull the trigger, I am 95% of the way there to buying it.
    I don't hangout in LGS all that often. I tend to go when my buddy tells me about some great deal I just can't pass up. Or I am there for a transfer and then I'll eyeball stuff in the case.

Of the maybe three or four dozen times I've been in a gun store or gun show in my life (okay, in my ~7 years owning guns, I don't count Cabela's or BPS unless I was there shopping their guns) twice I've had to correct someone else's behavior with guns. Or I should say, I felt I had to because the person was acting in an unsafe manner and did not stop.

Yeah, I've had it where gun store employees hand me a gun without checking clear. I clear it. Just habit. Even when a buddy hands me a gun to looking at/handle/shoot even if they just cleared it, I still check it if they left it open, or clear it myself if they closed the breech. I check my own guns too every time I pick one up unless I KNOW it is loaded (and I often still check it then to make sure, yeah it is loaded).

In both instance after being flagged in doing the obvious step back out of the line of the muzzle, one guy I told them to please stop pointing the gun at me after they did it a second time. To their credit, they did stop, and looked really embarrassed. The other time a guy did it twice, I told him to stop, and on the third time I reached over and pushed the barrel of the gun away from me while taking a step back and asking him to "please, stop!". He started to get heated asking why the hell I did that, and the gun store employee (the LGS employee hadn't really been paying attention until that point, but he did see the entire last incident) told him to leave after explaining you don't point guns at people to the guy.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Would you:

I was out of diapers but still had diaper marks when it was beat into my head that if anyone ever picked up a gun in my presence much less tried to hand me a gun, before so much as reaching out to receive it, I was to politely but immediately tell them:

YOU SHOW ME IT’s CLEAR …

I’m not especially known for listening but somehow, that lesson stuck and it prevented a whole bunch of bad incidents in the ensuing 60 years …

YOU SHOW ME IT’s CLEAR …

So simple and yet so powerful …

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    YOU SHOW ME IT’s CLEAR …

So simple and yet so powerful …
    No. What's so simple is not making a scene and just clear the pistol yourself. If someone said that to me, I'd set it down and tell them to clear it their damn self.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Gun store employees; Does it offend, or bother you if a customer checks the chamber after handing them a gun? Genuine question. Do you feel they don't trust you if they do? I could have sworn, either here, or another gun forum, I read where a gun was checked and had a round in it.
    When I helped out for a short time, I didn't "properly clear" them all the time. You pull out all the same pistols all the time. I am not taking the pistol out, turning away from the counter, pointing the pistol down, racking the slide, looking in the chamber, sticking my finger in, looking down through the mag well, turning around and handing it in reverse to the customer.
    Just pull it out, rack and lock the slide back while it's pointed down, and hand it over. Spend a good 6 to 8 hours working at a busy shop and you won't go through all the "steps".

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I clear all guns when handed to me, I return all guns with the actions locked back in the open position and or with the safety on if possible.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    This is what happens when Rules 1-4 are violated. Happened to a friend when he was in a pawn shop. An employee had control of the firearm at the time.

He ended up losing his job (armed security) as a result. Fortunately the pawn shop's insurance paid out bigly over this and he had enough savings stashed away he can retire.

He’s missing a booger hook!

That is a narley wound.

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    Check, Clear and Muzzle Discipline. 100% of the time. I even snapped at a trainer who was lasering the class with a plastic pistol. If I can see the barrel, I get edgy.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My habit is to check any gun I pick up or am handed. I don't care if it offends anybody or not. I expect anybody I hand a gun to will check it himself. It was ingrained in me as a kid, aint changing now.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Check, Clear and Muzzle Discipline. 100% of the time. I even snapped at a trainer who was lasering the class with a plastic pistol. If I can see the barrel, I get edgy.
    That's a you issue and not a safety issue.
    Blue guns and plastic guns are training guns. Especially if you know exactly what it is.
    Force on force with SIMS would absolutely devastate you.

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    what about when you go into the shop and every firearm has the big orange chamber flags in them, do you still bother to open the slide all the way?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Then they know you are a man who speaks the truth. That’s important.
    It only works if you put a mask on first or pull up a neck gaiter and loudly say “I have an announcement to make!”

You might have to yell the remainder “that I have my carry permit and as you can see my preferred carry gun is a _____”, to be heard over the employees response.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

I bet you'd be fun to watch at the Paintball/Airsoft field.

Not only will you be getting muzzle flagged a shit ton, there will be dozens of non lethal projectiles shot at you

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I bet you'd be fun to watch at the Paintball/Airsoft field.

Not only will you be getting muzzle flagged a shit ton, there will be dozens of non lethal projectiles shot at you
    He should hope that he will never be inside a place where I am going for an active shooter because everyone is getting flagged at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom