• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm in the same spot - getting into reloading... Have several books, been reading everything I can find. Have primers and once I decide on the bullets, I'll start hunting powders. - but im struggling with dillon 550 vs 650.

I want to reload for:
    9mm
    223/5.56
    30-30

As best I can tell, the 550 needs the shell plate manually changed every cycle of the handle while the 650 spins the shell plate on its own. The 650 also has a powder sensor option while the 550 doesn't.

It seems tht the 650 has some more automation possible and hence a higher possible rounds/ hour production rate.

Is there anything else I'm missing? What will the 650 do which the 550 won't? What will the 550 do which the 650 won't?

Any body spend more money on the 650 and wish after the fact that you had the 550 instead? Why? How bout the other way around. - have the 550 and wish you bought the 650...

Always have been a buy once, cry once guy - but hate to over buy (especially since components are expensive and I've several other firearms to purchase before Oct)

Thx in advance

---
    Shamr0ck

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm in the same spot - getting into reloading... Have several books, been reading everything I can find. Have primers and once I decide on the bullets, I'll start hunting powders. - but im struggling with dillon 550 vs 650.

I want to reload for:
    9mm
    223/5.56
    30-30

As best I can tell, the 550 needs the shell plate manually changed every cycle of the handle while the 650 spins the shell plate on its own. The 650 also has a powder sensor option while the 550 doesn't.

It seems tht the 650 has some more automation possible and hence a higher possible rounds/ hour production rate.

Is there anything else I'm missing? What will the 650 do which the 550 won't? What will the 550 do which the 650 won't?

Any body spend more money on the 650 and wish after the fact that you had the 550 instead? Why? How bout the other way around. - have the 550 and wish you bought the 650...

Always have been a buy once, cry once guy - but hate to over buy (especially since components are expensive and I've several other firearms to purchase before Oct)

Thx in advance

---
    Shamr0ck

Just an opinion, but if you are just starting out with reloading, a 550 might be the best choice while you are still learning the ropes so to speak. It is slower yet allows you to generate a lot of ammo in a short period of time. Also it can double as a single stage press.

You can use the 550 as a single stage press. I'm not that is possible with the 650.

But why start with a progressive? Get a single stage press and learn the ins and outs. I load all of my ammo on a pair of Rock Chuckers. Someday I'll get a progressive to reload primarily .223 Remington.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You can use the 550 as a single stage press. I'm not that is possible with the 650.

But why start with a progressive? Get a single stage press and learn the ins and outs. I load all of my ammo on a pair of Rock Chuckers. Someday I'll get a progressive to reload primarily .223 Remington.

I have the same questions as Shamrock, but I am not a noob to reloading. Been reloading shotshells for 30+ years. Have been using a Rock Chucker for 12 years now for rifle ammo, but nothing extreme quantity wise. Mostly loading for bolts and a couple autos here and there. With the new handguns and ARs though, I am guessing I will be going through a lot more metallic ammo, and the Rock Chucker is not the press to load hundreds upon hundreds on.

I too am debating between the 550 and 650. Not too worried about loading as a single stage press because I have the Rock Chucker for that. So, is there any reason I would want to get the 550 instead of the 650? Planning on loading 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, .223, .260 Rem, and .308 on the progressive. Maybe some other wildcats if I get something crazy on an AR.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I always recommend getting single stage press to start with. You separate the steps and learn the process. And, you will have use of a single stage press forever. My bench has a Dillon 650 and a Lyman single stage. I use the single stage a LOT.

Pulling bullets
    Sizing and bullet seating precision rifle rounds.
    Neck sizing
    Doing a couple of rounds here or there
    Doing ammunition that I don't want to set up for the Dillon (tool heads, etc)

The Dillon 550 does allow you to do the larger rifle cartridges versus the 650. But up to .308, the 650 wins IMO. Especially for pistol and .223. .260 might be better on a 550, but I would just do that single stage, unless you have a .260 machine gun. :)

I actually load my .308 on my single stage. I do it in batches. Size/deprime a bunch of cases. Prime with Lee hand primer. Then at some point, powder and bullet.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I doubt you would lose by buying the 550 to start. It can be run single stage for starting out and learning. I strongly doubt you would have any trouble finding a buyer if you decided to bump up to the 650. I loaded 100 rounds of 223 on my 550 last night in no time. Sweet machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom