• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    Hey all. Want to start reloading since ammo is tought to find for a decent price. Shooting 9mm so need the full set up. Was looking at precisionreloading.com. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to purchase to get into reloading?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW: I love this site!!!!

-Ben

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Press
    dies
    caliper
    cleaner/tumbler
    Books/manual

The very basic stuff needed to get started.

jsnider22

Feb 3, 2012
    Walkersville, MD
    I'm in the process of starting to reload myself, the biggest thing you need to try and find right now is components. They are tough to get a hold of right now, mainly primers and powder.

HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    Wojo- I tried accessing the thread link you listed but received an error. Not sure if its because I am new on here.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Save the ammo boxes and especially brass casing from the range. Brass is the most expensive component, but also one that you can frequently find free. Many people do not reload, and so will leave their brass casing behind.

Tumbler/cleaner is nice, but in the meantime (until I get one) I've been putting the brass in a empty 1/2 gallon plastic jug with water and a bit of dish soap. I shake the jug while watching TV, and after changing the water once or twice, the agitation and brass bouncing off each other takes off a lot of the soot.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I live in Cape St. Claire

And you admit that ?
    Kidding my parents live down Shore Acres and I used to own a home in the Cape on Harbor View. If you are willing to drive to Promfret, down 301 just south of White Plains you can stop and see Bob Manicer he owns Maryland ReloadeR he is a Dillon Dealer. Get yourself a 550 and be happy forever. He is in the phone book, Bob is moving slow now days and if you leave a message he will call back. If you buy a machine from him he will give you all of the necessary training you need for your machine for free. He is a really good guy. I am sure someone will chime in and post his number.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Any of the common brands make fine presses. RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Redding.

Same with dies, any of the brands are fine. I suggest carbide dies for pistol, as you will not need to lube.

In addition to the list above, especially for pistol, I suggest a powder measure also.

I suggest starting with a single stage press as you can keep using it after you move on to a progressive. Some of the turret presses are OK also, but I like having a single stage around.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    And you admit that ?
    Kidding my parents live down Shore Acres and I used to own a home in the Cape on Harbor View. If you are willing to drive to Promfret, down 301 just south of White Plains you can stop and see Bob Manicer he owns Maryland ReloadeR he is a Dillon Dealer. Get yourself a 550 and be happy forever. He is in the phone book, Bob is moving slow now days and if you leave a message he will call back. If you buy a machine from him he will give you all of the necessary training you need for your machine for free. He is a really good guy. I am sure someone will chime in and post his number.

Bob is a great dude. Here is his website, complete with contact #s...

http://www.marylandreloadr.com/index.html

Not only does Bob show you how to use your Dillon, he will put it together for you (big help) and setup with the caliber you choose with your purchase. He will walk you though the setup so you get a good idea of what you are doing.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Any of the common brands make fine presses. RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Redding.

Same with dies, any of the brands are fine. I suggest carbide dies for pistol, as you will not need to lube.

In addition to the list above, especially for pistol, I suggest a powder measure also.

I suggest starting with a single stage press as you can keep using it after you move on to a progressive. Some of the turret presses are OK also, but I like having a single stage around.

You left off the Dillon:)

The Dillon can function as a single stage until you are ready to move on.... My friends that use other presses that you listed really liked my Dillon when they tried it. I think it is a little more expensive but IMHO it is worth it.

Dick Chaney

May 5, 2013
    Just started myself and really like the RCBS. I like knowing one by one that each one is how i want it. Only 100 rounds of experience though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom