• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    and the fact that you can customize the round to fit your needs...plus, the more rounds you reload the more $ you save in the long run

I am a little surprised that even in one of my first sets of reloads, the rounds were much more consistent than the typical stuff you find on the shelf (not match).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You left off the Dillon:)

The Dillon can function as a single stage until you are ready to move on.... My friends that use other presses that you listed really liked my Dillon when they tried it. I think it is a little more expensive but IMHO it is worth it.

No all Dillons adapt easily to single stage.

And again, I prefer to advise starting with a single stage, that you can use even after you get your Dillon. :)

I have a Lyman Orange Crush single stage on the bench next to the 650 with case feeder.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    There are literally dozens of videos on YouTube. I've watched some because I am thinking about getting into it for 300 AAC. I would also like recommendations regarding brands, and what works and what doesn't.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For single stage, they all work.

For turret, you want one that the turret is fully supported around, so it does not rock.

For progressive, IMO, Dillon or Dillon or Dillon. Although I have heard good things about Hornady.

For dies, they are all fine. For high precision rounds, you go to specialized dies like collet neck dies, body dies, bushing dies, micrometer seating dies, etc.

For powder measures, the Lee Auto Disk is reported to leak small ball powders. But my Dad has one and it works fine.

I prefer a beam scale for most reloading. Once set, to check a charge, throw it in the pan, toss it on and the pointer lines up or not. No thinking. :) But a cheap digital is good for some uses, like sorting bullets or cases for precision rounds.

HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    Here is the menu on Dillons site. Not sure I need each of the optional items. I copy/pasted right from the site. I am looking to reload 9mm but certainly want the option to load higher calibers in the future. Is this the right press for me?

Square Deal B Interactive Purchasing Guide
    Stock# Dillon SDB Base Price: $379.95
    Caliber Type (Required) Stock # Add. Cost
    9mm 20104 $0.00

Caliber Conversion Adjuncts
    Extra small powder bar-needed for powder charges less than 2.5 grains, primarily 32 S&W Long wadcutter reloading
    $29.95 Info
    None
    Options and Accessories
    Instructional DVD
    This shows assembly, adjustment, operation and caliber changes for the Square Deal B machine
    Instructional DVDs $19.95 Info
    reloading machine DVDs
    Super 1050 DVD
    RL550B DVD
    Square Deal B DVD
    XL650 DVD
    None
    Spare Parts Kit
    When you begin loading Saturday afternoon for a Sunday match, and you drop a locator pin or break a spring- change the part, continue reloading.
    $21.95 Info
    None
    Strongmount
    This raises machine 8 1/2" above the top of the bench, for a more comfortable operating height.
    $64.95 Info
    None
    Bullet Tray
    Attaches to left side of the strongmount, cast aluminum tray holds bullets at same height as shellplate (Requires Strongmount)
    $41.95 Info
    None
    Low Powder Sensor
    Provides an audible and visual reminder when it is time to refill the powder hopper.
    $41.95 Info
    None
    Additional Equipment Needed to Begin Reloading
    Case Gages
    Dillon Handgun Case Gages $15.45 Info
    Dillon Handgun Case Gages
    .380 ACP Case Gage
    9mm Case Gage
    .38 Super Case Gage
    .38 Special Case Gage
    .357 Magnum Case Gage
    .40 S&W Case Gage
    10mm Case Gage
    .44 Magnum Case Gage
    .45 ACP Case Gage
    .45 Colt Case Gage
    .45 GAP Case Gage
    None
    Powder Scale
    Necessary for adjusting the powder measure to dispense the desired amount of powder
    D-Terminator Electronic Scale $139.95 Info
    Dillon's 'Eliminator' Scale $69.95 Info
    None
    Primer Flip Tray
    Orients primers right-side-up for filling the primer pickup tubes
    $20.95 Info
    None
    Additional Primer Pickup Tubes
    speeds up reloading by having extra tubes to pre-fill. Tube holds 100 primers.
    one large tube $7.99 Info
    one small tube $7.99 Info
    2 small & 2 large tubes $23.95 Info
    4 large tubes $23.95 Info
    4 small tubes $23.95 Info
    None
    Calipers
    precision measuring instrument, used to check crimp, overall length, variety of other dimensions. Measures up to six inches in length, accurate to .001"
    Digital calipers $39.95 Info
    Stainless steel dial calipers $28.00 Info
    None
    Loading Manual
    provides how-to-reload information as well as
    A cookbook-like format for loading data for a variety of cartridges.
    Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook $24.95 Info
    None
    Vibratory Case Cleaner
    Used to clean and polish cartridge cases prior to reloading
    CV-750 Case Cleaner $144.95 Info
    CV-2001 Case Cleaner $187.95 Info
    None
    Case/Media Separators
    Quickly and neatly separates clean brass from the cleaning media
    CM-500 Case/Media Separator $46.95 Info
    CM-2000 Case/Media Separator $72.95 Info
    None
    Cleaning Media
    Crushed Walnut cleans even the dirtiest of cases, or ground Corncob for general cleaning and the best final polish.
    15 lbs crushed walnut $23.95 Info
    10 lbs ground corncob $15.95 Info
    None
    Rapid Polish 290
    Adds a significantly brighter polish to your cleaned cases,and a protective coating too! Contains no ammonia to weaken brass!
    8oz bottle $8.95 Info
    None
    Kinetic Bullet Puller
    An eraser for reloaders. Allows you to recover and reuse misassembled reloading components.
    $29.95 Info
    None

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Here is the menu on Dillons site. Not sure I need each of the optional items. I copy/pasted right from the site. I am looking to reload 9mm but certainly want the option to load higher calibers in the future. Is this the right press for me?

Square Deal B Interactive Purchasing Guide
    Stock# Dillon SDB Base Price: $379.95
    Caliber Type (Required) Stock # Add. Cost
    9mm 20104 $0.00

Caliber Conversion Adjuncts
    Extra small powder bar-needed for powder charges less than 2.5 grains, primarily 32 S&W Long wadcutter reloading
    $29.95 Info
    None
    Options and Accessories
    Instructional DVD
    This shows assembly, adjustment, operation and caliber changes for the Square Deal B machine
    Instructional DVDs $19.95 Info
    reloading machine DVDs
    Super 1050 DVD
    RL550B DVD
    Square Deal B DVD
    XL650 DVD
    None
    Spare Parts Kit
    When you begin loading Saturday afternoon for a Sunday match, and you drop a locator pin or break a spring- change the part, continue reloading.
    $21.95 Info
    None
    Strongmount
    This raises machine 8 1/2" above the top of the bench, for a more comfortable operating height.
    $64.95 Info
    None
    Bullet Tray
    Attaches to left side of the strongmount, cast aluminum tray holds bullets at same height as shellplate (Requires Strongmount)
    $41.95 Info
    None
    Low Powder Sensor
    Provides an audible and visual reminder when it is time to refill the powder hopper.
    $41.95 Info
    None
    Additional Equipment Needed to Begin Reloading
    Case Gages
    Dillon Handgun Case Gages $15.45 Info
    Dillon Handgun Case Gages
    .380 ACP Case Gage
    9mm Case Gage
    .38 Super Case Gage
    .38 Special Case Gage
    .357 Magnum Case Gage
    .40 S&W Case Gage
    10mm Case Gage
    .44 Magnum Case Gage
    .45 ACP Case Gage
    .45 Colt Case Gage
    .45 GAP Case Gage
    None
    Powder Scale
    Necessary for adjusting the powder measure to dispense the desired amount of powder
    D-Terminator Electronic Scale $139.95 Info
    Dillon's 'Eliminator' Scale $69.95 Info
    None
    Primer Flip Tray
    Orients primers right-side-up for filling the primer pickup tubes
    $20.95 Info
    None
    Additional Primer Pickup Tubes
    speeds up reloading by having extra tubes to pre-fill. Tube holds 100 primers.
    one large tube $7.99 Info
    one small tube $7.99 Info
    2 small & 2 large tubes $23.95 Info
    4 large tubes $23.95 Info
    4 small tubes $23.95 Info
    None
    Calipers
    precision measuring instrument, used to check crimp, overall length, variety of other dimensions. Measures up to six inches in length, accurate to .001"
    Digital calipers $39.95 Info
    Stainless steel dial calipers $28.00 Info
    None
    Loading Manual
    provides how-to-reload information as well as
    A cookbook-like format for loading data for a variety of cartridges.
    Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook $24.95 Info
    None
    Vibratory Case Cleaner
    Used to clean and polish cartridge cases prior to reloading
    CV-750 Case Cleaner $144.95 Info
    CV-2001 Case Cleaner $187.95 Info
    None
    Case/Media Separators
    Quickly and neatly separates clean brass from the cleaning media
    CM-500 Case/Media Separator $46.95 Info
    CM-2000 Case/Media Separator $72.95 Info
    None
    Cleaning Media
    Crushed Walnut cleans even the dirtiest of cases, or ground Corncob for general cleaning and the best final polish.
    15 lbs crushed walnut $23.95 Info
    10 lbs ground corncob $15.95 Info
    None
    Rapid Polish 290
    Adds a significantly brighter polish to your cleaned cases,and a protective coating too! Contains no ammonia to weaken brass!
    8oz bottle $8.95 Info
    None
    Kinetic Bullet Puller
    An eraser for reloaders. Allows you to recover and reuse misassembled reloading components.
    $29.95 Info
    None

Get the 550 instead of the Square Deal press. IIRC the Square Deal is only for pistol calibers. Check the link in my sig to see what you might want to get. I spent a lot of time on that post. All the info you need is in that post.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Get the 550 instead of the Square Deal press. IIRC the Square Deal is only for pistol calibers. Check the link in my sig to see what you might want to get. I spent a lot of time on that post. All the info you need is in that post.

I also believe the square deal take a different size die. I know one of the Dillon presses takes a smaller sized die.

I have 2 550's, that's all the Dillon I've known..... :D

Also the swager for the crimped mil. primers is awesome.

Rock Chucker for a single stage. :thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I also believe the square deal take a different size die. I know one of the Dillon presses takes a smaller sized die.

I have 2 550's, that's all the Dillon I've known..... :D

Also the swager for the crimped mil. primers is awesome.

Rock Chucker for a single stage. :thumbsup:

The Square Deal does use a proprietary die that is only for use in the Square Deal press. OP, I recommend highly that you get a 550 so you can also do rifle when you are ready to do so. I have a 550 and I love it. If you want some help with it, let me know. I'll teach you how to reload on my 550 if that would help you get started.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    The question is, not which press to get, but which Dillon to get......

Move past the Square Deal, at first it seems like a good deal, but it really is not, it takes an oddball die size, so only Dillon dies fit. And if you are loading pistol, you will need a Lee Factory Crimp Die in your last stage.......

So the question becomes, 550 vs 650.....make the extra few CC payments and get the 650, you will never look back. I absolutely love mine, and even with the few extra bucks to put in on my bench, it paid for itself inside of a year, when compared to store bought ammo.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The question is, not which press to get, but which Dillon to get......

Move past the Square Deal, at first it seems like a good deal, but it really is not, it takes an oddball die size, so only Dillon dies fit. And if you are loading pistol, you will need a Lee Factory Crimp Die in your last stage.......

So the question becomes, 550 vs 650.....make the extra few CC payments and get the 650, you will never look back. I absolutely love mine, and even with the few extra bucks to put in on my bench, it paid for itself inside of a year, when compared to store bought ammo.

Starting out, I think it would be easier to start loading with a 550, because there isn't a lot of automatically moving parts. What do you think?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You don't NEED a Lee Factory Crimp die, the Dillon taper crimp die (comes with the Dillon die sets) does a fine job.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have owned the RL550B for about six months. I have just gotten back into reloading. I like the fact that I can run it as a single stage, or progressive. It is very flexible and high quality. I hated the price, but love the rest.

I just cranked out around 350 very consistent rounds yesterday. It's good to have ammo.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I highly recommend BrianEnoes.com for a everything you need Dillon 550. I have bought from Brian many times and his shipping is free. The Dillon 550 can make up to 400 rounds a hour.

HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    So I think I will give Bob a call. Since he does not take Credit Cards what should I be expecting for a full 550 setup with the basics to reload 9mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom