• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County

Have you loaded 600 rounds an hour on one without a case feeder? I can load 500 rounds an hour only when using the 550 case feeder, but only 400 max without the case feeder. Here is a pic of my setup. The 550 is on the left and the 650 is on the right. I know it is possible to load more, but I am telling you a realistic load speed. I can comfortably load 700 - 800 an hour with the Dillon 650 with case feeder.

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2717&catid=member&imageuser=1767

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Have you loaded 600 rounds an hour on one without a case feeder? I can load 500 rounds an hour only when using the 550 case feeder, but only 400 max without the case feeder. Here is a pic of my setup. The 550 is on the left and the 650 is on the right. I know it is possible to load more, but I am telling you a realistic load speed. I can comfortably load 700 - 800 an hour with the Dillon 650 with case feeder.

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2717&catid=member&imageuser=1767

I was averaging 500+/- without a case feeder, doing rifle cartridges (when I could find components in quantity for pre-panic prices). If you have a friend helping you by doing primer/powder/brass tray drops, you can get up to around 600 +/- an hour as long as the 2 of you are in synch and doing really well.

Once you find a good rhythm, you can hit 500 +/- per hour as long as you can maintain it. I have since found the joys of using my 550 as a single stage for 308 match loads, so I don't use the progressive feature all that often. Pistol on the other hand is a different story. I will run it as a progressive, but I try to shoot for 450 rounds per hour because I usually am doing it alone, and also be able to stop and verify charge weight and OAL about every 50-100 rounds.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just get a 650 with case feeder. I can do 1000 per hour of 45. :)

But to start, I still like a single stage, and still use my single stage for a number of things.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nope, not an extra one.

But for the right price I will sell mine and order another one. I can wait right now. :)

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    You don't NEED a Lee Factory Crimp die, the Dillon taper crimp die (comes with the Dillon die sets) does a fine job.

I'll add that if you are intending to use cast lead bullets, I would not use the FCD. I've had it squeeze boolits too much and cause them to be undersized.

HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    So I called Bob at Maryland Reload R. I am going to make an appointment with him soon. Even better news is my Father-In-Law is going to pay for half of the setup to include conversion kits and dies for .40 and .357 so long as I reload his ammo for him. That is a big "Yes sir...right away sir"

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    So I called Bob at Maryland Reload R. I am going to make an appointment with him soon. Even better news is my Father-In-Law is going to pay for half of the setup to include conversion kits and dies for .40 and .357 so long as I reload his ammo for him. That is a big "Yes sir...right away sir"

Of course what you meant to say is you will get things setup so your father-in-law can reload hid own ammo :innocent0

HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    Yes that is what I meant to say. However...he rarely shoots and he wants me to show him how to reload on the machine when he visits. So all in all its a good deal. :D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Any of the common brands make fine presses. RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Redding.

Same with dies, any of the brands are fine. I suggest carbide dies for pistol, as you will not need to lube.

In addition to the list above, especially for pistol, I suggest a powder measure also.

I suggest starting with a single stage press as you can keep using it after you move on to a progressive. Some of the turret presses are OK also, but I like having a single stage around.

I came out of the womb reloading shotshells. My dad told me I smashed my chin pretty good with the upstroke of the Mec 600 jr. reloader when I was 4, but I cannot recall it. Back then, all we reloaded was AA target shells. When I graduated college, I started playing around with loads and loading for hunting.

I was scared of metallic reloading for my first 30 years. Then, at age 30 I bought books upon books and reloading manauls galore about metallic reloading, read them all and settled on a RCBS Roch Chucker package deal with the infra-red scale and powder measure. I was mostly going to reload for rifle anyway, so no need for a high volume progressive/indexed loader. Bought my first handgun that year too.

About to start a thread on here regarding what everybody thinks is the best progressive/indexed press for reloading handgun loads. Just bought a bunch of handguns and some AR lowers, so probably going to have to reload quite a bunch for them. Right now, I am leaning toward the Dillon 650.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dillon 650.

Although I have seen some good reviews on the Hornady progressive.

But my 650 has been running strong for over 20 years.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

If you have never reloaded before, please make sure you read a lot of stuff and maybe do some reloading with a buddy first. Had an intelligent friend in law school that was into hunting and clay shooting. He wanted to learn how to reload shotshells and asked me to teach him. If you can find a mentor, that helps a ton. I think I spent a month reading stuff before tackling metallic reloading because I had nobody to mentor me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Am I missing something? Is there some reason he could not reload ammo for his father in-law? I reload ammo for my father and brothers all the time. Is there some law against it?

From BATF FAQ:

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

There is a grey area in between reloading for personal use and selling or distributing. The first is OK, the second it not. But reloading for someone else is not defined.

Easiest way to keep on the good side is to let the person reload their own on your equipment. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    From BATF FAQ:

There is a grey area in between reloading for personal use and selling or distributing. The first is OK, the second it not. But reloading for someone else is not defined.

Easiest way to keep on the good side is to let the person reload their own on your equipment. :)

Yeah, it says that for livelihood AND profit. If he is just reloading for his father in-law and his father in-law is paying for his own components, I seriously doubt the BATF has any case whatsoever. Heck, we could break out the cost per round spreadsheet and make sure he gets reimbursed only for the cost of components. If he really wants to be anal about it, he can keep his and his father in-law's components separate and he would be fine there too.

I'm not going to lose any sleep reloading for my dad and brothers because that is usually a losing proposition for me. I just give them the ammo most of the time as long as they return the empties. So, no livelihood AND profit there for me, that is for sure.

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    I vote for the Dillon 650. We do 9mm, 40 cal and 45 right now. There are a few ins and outs we have discovered. Bob at Maryland Reloader is great. He teaches you a lot.

Jim

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, it says that for livelihood AND profit. If he is just reloading for his father in-law and his father in-law is paying for his own components, I seriously doubt the BATF has any case whatsoever. Heck, we could break out the cost per round spreadsheet and make sure he gets reimbursed only for the cost of components. If he really wants to be anal about it, he can keep his and his father in-law's components separate and he would be fine there too.

I'm not going to lose any sleep reloading for my dad and brothers because that is usually a losing proposition for me. I just give them the ammo most of the time as long as they return the empties. So, no livelihood AND profit there for me, that is for sure.

I don't disagree with you, but wanted to point out that the FAQ leaves a big grey area.

I have allowed people to use my reloading equipment to load. They occasionally provide me with some primers, powder or bullets for the use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom