• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    No one here is saying they break the rules of is telling people to do so. They are saying how stupid it is for gun people to be scared of people with a holstered firearm at a shooting range.

I use Fudd Neck only when absolutely necessary. I use other ranges that allow me to stay armed when I have to do down range.

This crap really kills me.

Who said anything about being afraid of people with guns? I have no problem with people with guns. I don't have a problem with trained people having all manner of guns.

I have a problem with Wannabies with guns. I have a problem with Newbs with $2,000.00 AR-15 platforms who can't hit a man sized target at 50 yards. I have a problem with the same Newb blaming it on the gun while sweeping me with the muzzle as he tries to figure out what's wrong with it. And because they can't shoot worth a shit, they feel the need to PACK and feel like they are more than they really are.

I dare to even comment on the whole Fudd Neck thing. As if ALL the people who shoot there are Fudds. As if there is something wrong with people who don't mind shooting at a decent range for $50.00 a year.

We just want people to OBEY the laws and stop acting like they can do what they want for there $10.00 a day range fee.

And if you want to call names. Why call it Fudd Neck? Just call it Red Neck.

I'm tired, so I'll step down from my soapbox now.

P.S. Iggy is right. The users of the range should show some manners and common decency. It will serve them well in other aspects of their lives as well.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Another two cents so this makes four cents and hopefully not non-sense.

The rules aren't there to protect "others" from YOU, they are there to protect YOU from the "others".

In context it's exactly what iH8DemLibz has visualized since it's a State Range and consequently must invite everyone, the rules are tighter. You have the new shooter next to the proficient one muzzle sweeps and all. The RSOs are there trying to make a difference and that difference is Safety.

Call it what you will: Hog Neck, Fudd Neck, Red Neck, Hawg Neck, Neck & Neck, No Neck, all Neck it's still the same place the only difference is the people that shoot there.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Go into any indoor range in the country and you will see the same things you see at Elk Neck, with some of the people shooting. Its not a range problem its a people problem. If you (in general) are so worried about someone murdering you while changing targets at a public range, a professional should be contacted to discuss your paranoia.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I can assure you there will be no open carry at Elk Neck any weekend that an RSO is on duty. If there is and its not corrected, inform either ENSF or myself here on MDS and it will be corrected with that RSO. You are at a public range on State property. MD law does not allow open carry in public, therefore you would be breaking MD law.

If you are there and see it, you can always call DNR at the posted number on the boards at each range.
    Maryland Title 4 Section 203:
    Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-203
    Article - Criminal Law

§ 4-203.
    (b) This section does not prohibit:

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    Informal target practice at a firing range allows you to OC or CC.
    And when I was a member at Elk Neck, the Ranger would keep me company on the weekdays when he wasn't busy, just hanging out as I shot so I wasn't alone. He never once said anything about my pistol or my slung rifle.

It looks like they changed the rules after I stopped shooting there, never noticed #21 before. But that is just a rule, not the law. Please be precise on why something is prohibited instead of just exclaiming "Its the law!!!!"

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Go into any indoor range in the country and you will see the same things you see at Elk Neck, with some of the people shooting. Its not a range problem its a people problem. If you (in general) are so worried about someone murdering you while changing targets at a public range, a professional should be contacted to discuss your paranoia.

I don't recall anyone saying they were afraid of being murdered while they were changing targets. And even if they did, shrinks are expensive.

Range Rule: No LOADED firearms while people are down range while the range is cold.

Mr. Carry (AKA: I'm Aaalllll Dat) may want to leave the range during the time us paranoid target-changers are down range holding nothing, but our staple guns. Wait, that did sound kind of paranoid. Oh well. Time to move on.

He has to remove his firearm and unload it to leave the range area because he cannot transport a loaded handgun without a permit.

I don't want anyone HANDLING firearms while I and others are down range.

It has nothing to do with Newbs vs. Experienced. It has to do with "accidents happen".

Why is this so difficult to understand?

It would appear this thread has two types of people.

Those who are safe and obey the rules because we don't want to see other people and family members get hurt by mistake.

And

Those who think their shit doesn't stink and feel justified in putting those in the first catagory in danger of being shot.

P.S.

And I'll say it again. People were rolling small pumpkins down the range and shooting at them and pumpkin guts were being sprayed all over peoples targets.

I guess the catagory two people think this is OK too.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Another two cents so this makes four cents and hopefully not non-sense.

The rules aren't there to protect "others" from YOU, they are there to protect YOU from the "others".

In context it's exactly what iH8DemLibz has visualized since it's a State Range and consequently must invite everyone, the rules are tighter. You have the new shooter next to the proficient one muzzle sweeps and all. The RSOs are there trying to make a difference and that difference is Safety.

Call it what you will: Hog Neck, Fudd Neck, Red Neck, Hawg Neck, Neck & Neck, No Neck, all Neck it's still the same place the only difference is the people that shoot there.

Sgt Preston here...

Thanks for being a RSO at the Hawg Marko..!

I like the rules just the way they are...

And I feel safer when I'm downrange if all the weapons are open, empty & have the mags removed...

We always leave someone behind to watch out for each others property when we go down range...

There are more than a few among us who are not as safety conscious & aware as others...

BUT to be totally honest, I'm retired & I stay away on weekends as that seems to be the craziest time...

woodrow76

May 27, 2011
    Cecil-tucky
    A coworker and I usually go to Elk Neck together, as I rarely go there alone. When it's time to go down range one of us will stay back, while the other changes up the targets. We have been fortunate, as we never encountered any shady people or for that matter dumbasses. However I realize there is always a first time for everything, that's why I always go with a friend.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't recall anyone saying they were afraid of being murdered while they were changing targets. And even if they did, shrinks are expensive.

Range Rule: No LOADED firearms while people are down range while the range is cold.

Mr. Carry (AKA: I'm Aaalllll Dat) may want to leave the range during the time us paranoid target-changers are down range holding nothing, but our staple guns. Wait, that did sound kind of paranoid. Oh well. Time to move on.

He has to remove his firearm and unload it to leave the range area because he cannot transport a loaded handgun without a permit.

I don't want anyone HANDLING firearms while I and others are down range.

It has nothing to do with Newbs vs. Experienced. It has to do with "accidents happen".

Why is this so difficult to understand?

It would appear this thread has two types of people.

Those who are safe and obey the rules because we don't want to see other people and family members get hurt by mistake.

And

Those who think their shit doesn't stink and feel justified in putting those in the first catagory in danger of being shot.

P.S.

And I'll say it again. People were rolling small pumpkins down the range and shooting at them and pumpkin guts were being sprayed all over peoples targets.

I guess the catagory two people think this is OK too.

Ever hear of Mr. Kyle?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Re...uthor-Shot-Killed-at-Gun-Range-189539901.html

There has been reported and documented people MURDERED at shooting ranges. They are killed for their weapons. Its not something crazy people spun up.

Again, I have a MD Handgun Permit and I can be armed while engaged in business activities (AKA, to and from the Bank, Range, etc.....), so not I don't have to unload anything.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ever hear of Mr. Kyle?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Re...uthor-Shot-Killed-at-Gun-Range-189539901.html

There has been reported and documented people MURDERED at shooting ranges. They are killed for their weapons. Its not something crazy people spun up.

Again, I have a MD Handgun Permit and I can be armed while engaged in business activities (AKA, to and from the Bank, Range, etc.....), so not I don't have to unload anything.

WE GET IT!!! YOU HAVE A PERMIT!!! YOU CARRY A GUN!!! YOU'RE TRAINED!!! NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU!!!

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Maryland Title 4 Section 203:
    Informal target practice at a firing range allows you to OC or CC.
    And when I was a member at Elk Neck, the Ranger would keep me company on the weekdays when he wasn't busy, just hanging out as I shot so I wasn't alone. He never once said anything about my pistol or my slung rifle.

It looks like they changed the rules after I stopped shooting there, never noticed #21 before. But that is just a rule, not the law. Please be precise on why something is prohibited instead of just exclaiming "Its the law!!!!"

I'm not sure which Ranger that might have been. But I can assure you that the Ranger currently in charge will not allow it. My statements as to the range being public property and OC not being allowed as it was deemed illegal have came right from his own words spoken to me and the other RSO's. I'm sure when he see's this thread he will be along to comment on it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not sure which Ranger that might have been. But I can assure you that the Ranger currently in charge will not allow it. My statements as to the range being public property and OC not being allowed as it was deemed illegal have came right from his own words spoken to me and the other RSO's. I'm sure when he see's this thread he will be along to comment on it.

Perhaps he was the one who got the rule change implemented. Its against the Range Rules (Which I wont violate) but it is not illegal though.

Maybe we will have a new set of rules soon. Perhaps he will deem 30 Round Magazines, Suppressors, and Registered SBR's Illegal too. For everyones safety.

No one needs those things.

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    Follow the rules or go to a new range. Rules are there for everyone's safety. Accidents happen to the best of us.

I carry every day, whether for my main job, part time job, and if that makes me something people don't like then oh f-ing well. I have a MD Carry Permit so hate till your hearts content. The people it offends won't be there to save my ass when I need that gun, nor will they be there to save me if someone tried to kill me at the range for my property. The park personnel or DNR police won't save me either.

I follow the rules at elk neck or whatever range I use, its why I avoid elk neck when I can. When a range has more stringent rules than the state of Maryland has, well its freaking pathetic.

I use Delmarva. Shooter police themselves and open carry there and no one gets shot.

Unlike fudds, I like to practice my draw to make myself more proficient in case I actually have to use my firearm. My gun is a tool, not some safe queen for my fudd range trips.

Since people want to " tell it like it is". I'll say what I think about people uncomfortable around guns.

Carrying a loaded and holstered (!) handgun between courses of fire is a whole lot safer than the whole load and unload fumbling. That's why a "hot range" is run for serious and inherently more dangerous action shooting - to minimize the chances of NDs due to fumbling. Maybe someone should discuss this politely with the rangers as it applies to the handgun range.

However, the reasoning that a holstered, loaded handgun will provide protection against someone with ill intent on the rifle range falls somewhere between wishfull thinking and too big of an ego.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Carrying a loaded and holstered (!) handgun between courses of fire is a whole lot safer than the whole load and unload fumbling. That's why a "hot range" is run for serious and inherently more dangerous action shooting - to minimize the chances of NDs due to fumbling. Maybe someone should discuss this politely with the rangers as it applies to the handgun range.

However, the reasoning that a holstered, loaded handgun will provide protection against someone with ill intent on the rifle range falls somewhere between wishfull thinking and too big of an ego.

Sadly, someone is going to call you a "nutcase ninja" now. They don't care about facts because carrying guns seems to make them uncomfortable.

The comments I made are not just rifle ranges. Same applies to Pistol Range as well (Carrying).

Weapons not being used are disabled with an Cable Lock. Weapons on the bench, I often remove the Bolt/Slide if easily done, otherwise I run a cable lock through them as well.

You are correct a handgun against a rifle is a bad place to be. Again I prefer to have something instead of nothing at all, thus the reason I avoid Elk Neck.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It is not a question of trusting people carrying, it is a question of following the rules! If you don't want to follow the rules because you are captain awesome, then you are an a$$hat that I would not like to associate with and a prime example of why anti's hate gun people!

Well said. Too many macho ass hats at Elk Neck for my liking. Some people get a woody OCing and for my money that place is too dangerous and open to theft. I'll pay to join a well regulated range. I enjoy my safety. BTW, I do belong to a range in PA which is self regulated and OC is quite common but the idiot red neck wannabes are not there.

sgt23preston

May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Well said. Too many macho ass hats at Elk Neck for my liking. Some people get a woody OCing and for my money that place is too dangerous and open to theft. I'll pay to join a well regulated range. I enjoy my safety. BTW, I do belong to a range in PA which is self regulated and OC is quite common but the idiot red neck wannabes are not there.

Sgt Preston here...

Belonging to a PA gun club might be a problem when the new MD law goes onto effect in OCT...

My understanding is that under the new MD law it will be a MD State felony to take your "banned" AR's across state lines..?

sgt23preston

May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    outside of North East MD , Elk Neck State Park

Actually it is in Elk Neck State Forest, not in Elk Neck State Park...

I know because I once spent an hour looking for it in the Park...

Go thru the town of North East & make a left shortly after leaving town...

It's well marked...

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Actually it is in Elk Neck State Forest, not in Elk Neck State Park...

I know because I once spent an hour looking for it in the Park...

Go thru the town of North East & make a left shortly after leaving town...

It's well marked...

I still call it the park , but way below the park :D

it's off Irishtown Rd

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind

So when is this "load and unload fumbling" happening? Not during a cease fire. The handling of firearms is during a hot range only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom