• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I am fortunate. I belong to a club where I shoot behind a locked fence. When the range is cold, no one is to handle any firearms period. We also have to install empty chamber flags. OC is not allowed. But this is a private club with only 550 members that have passed backround checks. If you break the rules, you lose your range pass for a month, second time is six months, and third time you are out of the club. Personally, I like to respect the rules at any range...but that is just me.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Sgt Preston here...

Belonging to a PA gun club might be a problem when the new MD law goes onto effect in OCT...

My understanding is that under the new MD law it will be a MD State felony to take your "banned" AR's across state lines..?

I don't believe that's correct.

If you owned it prior to 10-1 it won't be a problem shooting out of state and bringing it back in.

Taking it out for repair work and bringing it back post 10-1 won't be a problem either.

People coming in to Notsomerryland after 10-1 with guns bought after 10-1 will have a problem.

Just like we can't go to PA or VA after 10-1, buy one and bring it back to this ******** of a state.

Get all your goodies notorized and keep the list in your vehicle and at home.

OK. Back to camp Red Neck.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I don't recall anyone saying they were afraid of being murdered while they were changing targets. And even if they did, shrinks are expensive.

Range Rule: No LOADED firearms while people are down range while the range is cold.

Mr. Carry (AKA: I'm Aaalllll Dat) may want to leave the range during the time us paranoid target-changers are down range holding nothing, but our staple guns. Wait, that did sound kind of paranoid. Oh well. Time to move on.

He has to remove his firearm and unload it to leave the range area because he cannot transport a loaded handgun without a permit.

I don't want anyone HANDLING firearms while I and others are down range.

It has nothing to do with Newbs vs. Experienced. It has to do with "accidents happen".

Why is this so difficult to understand?

It would appear this thread has two types of people.

Those who are safe and obey the rules because we don't want to see other people and family members get hurt by mistake.

And

Those who think their shit doesn't stink and feel justified in putting those in the first catagory in danger of being shot.

P.S.

And I'll say it again. People were rolling small pumpkins down the range and shooting at them and pumpkin guts were being sprayed all over peoples targets.

I guess the catagory two people think this is OK too.

Stupid people abound everywhere in the US. I don't know which decade it was when you saw people pumpkin rolling, but I can say I have not seen anything like that at Elk Neck since the RSO's have been there. Go to any other range in Maryland and you will still see stupid people doing stupid things with firearms. It is a people problem. Whether experienced or new, stupid is as stupid does.

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    I have seen many stupid things up there like 5 rednecks next to us opening fire all at once on the targets. Felt the recoil through my back and the casings were flying everywhere. Had to stop, back up and wait for them to leave. Another biker dude set his target on the ground up against a pole and then that is when I left. Another time, I saw an wooden entertainment center all shot up and left for someone to clean up. I just don't go there anymore w/o range officers present. Stupid people indeed.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Stupid people abound everywhere in the US. I don't know which decade it was when you saw people pumpkin rolling, but I can say I have not seen anything like that at Elk Neck since the RSO's have been there. Go to any other range in Maryland and you will still see stupid people doing stupid things with firearms. It is a people problem. Whether experienced or new, stupid is as stupid does.

Last Fall.

Week Day.

No RSO on Duty.

Only one thing came to mind when I was there: Ruunnn Foorrest, Ruuuuuuunnn!!!!!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Great, this is the closest public non cops only range to Havre de Grace, which means it's one I'd have to use. I guess my guns will sleep a while till I hopefully get more than the land owned by an 88 year old lady to shoot on.

I'd like to do some shooting here before moving to HDG, but I need someone experienced in sighting in PS90's to come by. I need a stable table and some sort of bench rest. Open invitation! Bring your other guns and you can shoot them. 110 yards or so max...

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It looks like a completely different ballgame than what we deal with at Savage River. The DNR officers never have a problem with us OCing. None of us ever carry a rifle down range.

Attachments

• Hooligans 5 5 13 023.jpg
      Hooligans 5 5 13 023.jpg
      93.8 KB · Views: 284

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Clientele is probably the only thing that can be different comparing Savage River to Elk Neck.

If the range rules are designated by Maryland, then why is Savage River lacking at least 16 of Elk Neck's Range posted rules? Not intended to start another 5 page debate added to this on what the definition of "State Forest" is.
    jerkoff1ff.gif

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I'm not sure which Ranger that might have been. But I can assure you that the Ranger currently in charge will not allow it. My statements as to the range being public property and OC not being allowed as it was deemed illegal have came right from his own words spoken to me and the other RSO's. I'm sure when he see's this thread he will be along to comment on it.

The last Elk Neck card i have was for 2008, so it was that year that i last carried there. Remember, i was also shooting on weekdays, alone and with the range to myself most of the time, except maybe two old guys that were regulars at the pistol range (i shot rifles almost exclusively), the ranger and a few randoms here and there, some of whom really gave off the "Run. Now." vibe. Like a carload of dudes with one AK and a Hipoint, no target stand, no eye protection, eyeing my M4 and in general being shadey.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Given Point #1 - a low cost shooting range is generally a Good Thing.

Given Point #2 - the ownershipp/ management of a shooting range can make up pretty much any regulation they choose , for any reason they choose. If they want everyone to hop up and down on their left foot while pinching their ear with right hand , it's their range , their rules.

BUT , listin to what some of y'all are saying in support :

Guns are Dangerous.

Anyone who carries a gun is a delusional fool with impotence issues.

Average citizens can't be trusted with guns.

Guns will magically jump out of holsters by themselves , and killing innocent bystanders.

Don't bother us about what is actually more/ less dangerous , we have our emotional reactions , and that's that.

Y'all are parroting MOM and Sarah Brady word for word.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013

Given Point #2 - the ownershipp/ management of a shooting range can make up pretty much any regulation they choose , for any reason they choose. If they want everyone to hop up and down on their left foot while pinching their ear with right hand , it's their range , their rules.

Guns are Dangerous.

Guns will magically jump out of holsters by themselves , and killing innocent bystanders.

Don't bother us about what is actually more/ less dangerous , we have our emotional reactions , and that's that.

You have a way with strawmen

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Guns are Dangerous.

HHMMMMMM???!!!

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Some of these post are just silly. Elk neck range is a good place to go. Paranoia is a terrible thing....

People have been robbed at Myrtle Grove WMA, crooks waiting in the parking lot for shooters to climb the hill from the line to their cars with their stuff already packed. Elk Neck doesn't have as severe a hill, but there is no way to see the entire lot from the ranges.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Guns are Dangerous.

They are not going to like that because its true. :thumbsup:

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I don't take issue with open carry, the primary reason I don't care for ENSF Range is the lack of adherence to range rules that apply to ANY range. Not handling firearms while people are down range (If the firearm is holstered, I don't consider that as "handling"). Muzzle control is another big one. Ever see the amount of holes in the roof over the benches?

With a private range, you can be kicked out of the range for failure to adhere to the rules, at ENSF I don't know of anyone ever being kicked out, or how that would even be enforceable.

I also don't understand the need to call the skeet decks cold while the rifle range is cold. The only theory I can postulate, would include calling the pistol range cold as well due to people not having their hearing protection on. The decks are far enough away, and clay loads are light enough that it doesn't (IMO) represent a hearing hazard.

I'm also not an advocate of breaking rules at a range, so I do not OC at ENSF range for that reason only.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Is anyone tired of beating a dead horse already ?

Moot Point: no OC or CCW at Elk Neck State Forest Shooting Range A RULE.

In my perspective should the RSO OC, ....................................... YES !
    In my perspective should the RSO OC, but is that allowed..............NO !
    In my perspective should the RSO CCW........................................YES !
    In my perspective should the RSO CCW, but is it allowed................NO !
    Do I agree with this......................................................................NO !
    Do I think everyone should be able to OC/CCW .............................YES !
    Do I think everyone is capable of safely OC/CCW........................... ? !
    Are guns dangerous......................................................................NO!
    Are guns dangerous in an idiot's hands............................................? !
    Will guns magically jump out of holsters killing innocent bystanders...NO !
    Will idiots acting above and beyond their skills hurt innocent people...? !
    Private ranges have rules, do you honor them.................................YES !

All of you bring up valid points, but you have to remember and realize that the rules are there for the common denominator (read idiot) or Newb, everyone had to start somewhere and there are very few private places to shoot and learn anymore.

The shotgun range, all two stations, is required to cease fire and go cold because it is in such close proximity to the rifle range and verbal commands must me audible. The pistol range is far enough away that this isn't a problem.

Clays were allowed on the berm till bottles, cans and various other items appeared, thus the few ruined it for the rest of us. Nothing on the berm, period. . .

Biggfoot44: "Y'all are parroting MOM and Sarah Brady word for word."

Now that's a little harsh even for this friendly forum.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Indeed harsh , but alas directly responding. Not as harsh as being told that I am mentally ill , in need of psyatric intervention , sexually inadaquate, and an idiot newbie ( hint I started when I had a full head of hair) .

I suppose I should remind myself that someone who received the last of the semi-freely issued carry permits upon turning 21 is now getting close to collecting Social Security. There are now two generations of Marylanders who have no concept of being armed on a default basis , rather than being an occasional exercise on an out of state road trip. Shrugs .

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It is not a question of trusting people carrying, it is a question of following the rules! If you don't want to follow the rules because you are captain awesome, then you are an a$$hat that I would not like to associate with and a prime example of why anti's hate gun people!

ASSHAT and CAPTAIN AWESOME. Great names.

I didn't want to say it, but the guys carrying open were wannabies. Khaki shirt and black cargo pant's and jack boots. Like a Bass Pro (can't spell manican) all dressed up. They all had the, look at me, I'm carrying open thing going on.

Didn't mean to get people's ass hairs all tied up in knots.

You are at a public range on State property. MD law does not allow open carry in public, therefore you would be breaking MD law.

You guys are funny. I really hope you don't dwell on the what if's in life as much as you do about Elk Neck. Mountains out of mole hills comes to mind.

Don't forget to worry about your drive to and from the range. You could be in an accident and unconscious. Then someone will steal your firearms. ;)

Not to mention the absolute last thing Maryland gun owners need is a shoot out at a gun range. Talk about tarnishing our image

Some of these post are just silly. Paranoia is a terrible thing....

I don't recall anyone saying they were afraid of being murdered while they were changing targets. And even if they did, shrinks are expensive.

Mr. Carry (AKA: I'm Aaalllll Dat)may want to leave the range during the time us paranoid target-changers are down range holding nothing, but our staple guns.

I have a problem with Wannabies with guns. I have a problem with Newbs with $2,000.00 AR-15 platforms who can't hit a man sized target at 50 yards.

And because they can't shoot worth a shit, they feel the need to PACK and feel like they are more than they really are.

Biggfoot44: "Y'all are parroting MOM and Sarah Brady word for word."

Now that's a little harsh even for this friendly forum.

Harsh eh? I guess you only read what you want to. See above.

Indeed harsh , but alas directly responding. Not as harsh as being told that I am mentally ill , in need of psyatric intervention , sexually inadaquate, and an idiot newbie ( hint I started when I had a full head of hair) .

I suppose I should remind myself that someone who received the last of the semi-freely issued carry permits upon turning 21 is now getting close to collecting Social Security. There are now two generations of Marylanders who have no concept of being armed on a default basis , rather than being an occasional exercise on an out of state road trip. Shrugs .

Well said Bigfoot44 :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom