• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've been seeing more and more open carrying of handguns at the Elk Neck outdoor DNR range.

Not the Police either. Maybe Security Guards or Armored Car Drivers.

Or just guys who want to open carry at the range for what ever reason.

Been going there for 20 years and have never seen this until recently. The last three times I was there.

Seems odd.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Well, it IS legal, by the letter of the law, AFAIK...

So, unless there are range rules against it, I'd say it's quite possibly people who are less afraid to come out of the shadows, and actually do what the law allows....

and that's a good thing!!!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Range Rules pretty much prohibit it even though MD Law allows it.

I guess the people there doing it "make" the rules and get to break them.

Its why I don't use Elk Neck unless I HAVE to. I do not enjoy being disarmed while changing targets while I have 30K worth of my personal gear and customers firearms left at the firing line, so some dirtbag can just walk up, load, and kill me with my own weapons.

Yes it happens, just hasn't happened THERE yet.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I make it a point to be armed at the outdoor range I go to. There have been thefts while shooters are downrange and the firearms are unattended during a cold.

That and asshats are everywhere, but cooler heads do prevail when everyone is armed.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The Range Rules pretty much prohibit it even though MD Law allows it.

I guess the people there doing it "make" the rules and get to break them.

Its why I don't use Elk Neck unless I HAVE to. I do not enjoy being disarmed while changing targets while I have 30K worth of my personal gear and customers firearms left at the firing line, so some dirtbag can just walk up, load, and kill me with my own weapons.

Yes it happens, just hasn't happened THERE yet.

Never having been there, I wasn't sure... Thanks for the clarification.

In any case, it sounds like folks are curing themselves of BGOS... just not the best way, I guess.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I always carried at Elk Neck when I shot there. Both a holstered pistol and a mag for my AR15 in my back pocket. When I went down range to change targets, I'd sling my rifle if the range was empty or only shady people present.

I had one too many "That's a realllll nice rifle, bet it was expensive, you shooting alone today? :outta her " type interactions when I was shooting on weekdays so I switched to an indoor range.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Thank God I don't shoot there anymore! Open carry is against the range rules at Elk Neck and mooseman, I know you want to be safe but you aren't supposed to handle any firearm during a cold range. I can't count how many times I've been muzzle swept there.

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    I've shot there and am going to pay for a membership soon. I can tell you now that I plan to carry my pistol on the rifle range. My guns and ammo are too expensive to not defend, I don't care what the rules say. The range masters are volunteers and are not obligated to watch over your stuff. They're usually just collecting brass.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Thank God I don't shoot there anymore! Open carry is against the range rules at Elk Neck and mooseman, I know you want to be safe but you aren't supposed to handle any firearm during a cold range. I can't count how many times I've been muzzle swept there.

I should have mentioned that I do not shoot at Elk Neck. Hell, I don't even know where it is. A holstered pistol is not being handled.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

Are you speaking generally about a rule, or are you implying that the handling of firearms during a cold range also means holstered firearms? I'm talking generally and not specific to a certain place.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Elk Neck specific. And I was referring to carrying a rifle on your shoulder. It is a public range and it is amazing more people haven't been hurt there.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    When I shot up there in the mid-'70s thru early '80s, the ranges was self-regulated and a lot of guys open carried up there. Rangers came thru and never said anything about it. Very relaxed and nice to shoot up there back in those days.

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I now belong to a private range because of the sheer jackassery that goes on at that range. Negligent discharges happen all the time, it's only a matter of time until someone walks (or doesn't) out of there with a GSW.

It's a damn shame too because it used to be a great range.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

That's my take on it too. When I'm down range, I don't want people cocked and locked behind me.

And Dumbasses are always handling and loading firearms when folks are down range.

Last Fall, two lowest common denomenators were rolling small pumpkins down the range and firing at them as they rolled along.

I packed up my little red wagon and went home.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If the idea of someone you don't know sharing the same hobby and passion as you do carrying a holstered firearm bothers you, maybe you should either find something else to do, or seriously consider your thoughts on "Shall Issue" if this State ever gets there. LOL

Just saying. Yeah yeah yeah, different situations, but...

"When I'm down range, I don't want people cocked and locked behind me." Unless you mean someone absent minded fumbling with a rifle in a cease fire.

I shoot on Private Property, and have only been to Elk Neck once and that was at least 15 years ago.

Blackseven, there have been several people wounded from negligent discharges at Elk Neck over the years.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    It is not a question of trusting people carrying, it is a question of following the rules! If you don't want to follow the rules because you are captain awesome, then you are an a$$hat that I would not like to associate with and a prime example of why anti's hate gun people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom