• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    LEO appears to have been stricken, valid exemptions are:

HAS COMPLETED A CERTIFIED FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY; OR

HAS COMPLETED A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN COMPETENCY AND SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER § 10–301.1 OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES ARTICLE;

A QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR;

IS AN HONORABLY DISCHARGED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR THE NATIONAL GUARD;

IS AN EMPLOYEE OF AN ARMORED CAR COMPANY AND HAS A PERMIT ISSUED UNDER TITLE 5, SUBTITLE 3 OF THE PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE ; OR

LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM.

Link to bill as enrolled (Signed by the Governor): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Page 28, line 20 - page 29, line 16.

Those are the requirements for the training.

There is a separate clause the exempts LEO, Active Duty and Retired Military from the ENTIRE HQL thing. No training, no fee, no fingerprints, no nothing. Just present your credentials (for military, ID card).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, I just read it. It exclude LEO's from having to attend a training course. But still have to get the stupid license. Rediculous!

No, there is another clause the exempts LEO, and Active/Retired Military from the entire HQL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Please note there is a difference between retired military and an HD member. Retired members have a retired ID card. The rest of us have our DD214's.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Page 35 line 25-26. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

5-119 deals with firearms purchase currently, so that applies to LEOs purchasing a firearm today.

5-117.1 (starts on Page 26, line 16) deals entirely with the HQL.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Those are the requirements for the training.

There is a separate clause the exempts LEO, Active Duty and Retired Military from the ENTIRE HQL thing. No training, no fee, no fingerprints, no nothing. Just present your credentials (for military, ID card).

If I read it correctly, it exempts retired LEOs, but not active LEOs:

Page 26, lines 19 - 31

19 (A) THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO:

20 (1) A LICENSED FIREARMS MANUFACTURER;

21 (2) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR PERSON WHO IS RETIRED
    22 IN GOOD STANDING FROM SERVICE WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE
    23 UNITED STATES, THE STATE, OR A LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE
    24 STATE; OR

25 (3) A MEMBER OR RETIRED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF
    26 THE UNITED STATES OR, OR THE NATIONAL GUARD, OR THE MARYLAND
    27 DEFENSE FORCE; OR

28 (4) A PERSON PURCHASING, RENTING, OR RECEIVING AN
    29 ANTIQUE, CURIO, OR RELIC FIREARM, AS DEFINED IN FEDERAL LAW OR IN 30 DETERMINATIONS PUBLISHED BY THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO,
    31 FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Interesting. I wonder what the paperwork requirement would be to prove you are a member of one of these exempted classes. Do you just say you already have a lawfully owned a regulated firearm? How do you prove that? If I was from another state when I acquired one, I might not want to prove I have it!

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    please let us know where you find this information? not from sb281.

hunter safety is one of the approved per sb281.

Sgt Preston back again...

This info is from my FFL who is a retired LEO...

He also owns a indoor range...

I asked him what he was doing to prepare people to buy guns on Oct 1st...

I inquired about the availability of the training courses to meet the deadline...

He is in regular contact with the MSP & is quite concerned...

He said that the final draft of the new law has still not yet been released or published...

The training part of the new law covers a lot of MD laws such as who can carry & when you can & can't point your gun at someone & fire it etc...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sgt Preston back again...

This info is from my FFL who is a retired LEO...

He also owns a indoor range...

I asked him what he was doing to prepare people to buy guns on Oct 1st...

I inquired about the availability of the training courses to meet the deadline...

He is in regular contact with the MSP & is quite concerned...

He said that the final draft of the new law has still not yet been released or published...

The training part of the new law covers a lot of MD laws such as who can carry & when you can & can't point your gun at someone & fire it etc...

that is totally different than the hql.. he may be talking about ccw training...

plain and simple.. for handgun qualification license.. involves 3 things..

1- state firearm law
    2- home firearm safety
    3-handgun mechanism and operations

maybe print the sb281 and give it to your friend. its already been signed by o'smelly. they cannot add other requirements as they please.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    that is totally different than the hql.. he may be talking about ccw training...

plain and simple.. for handgun qualification license.. involves 3 things..

1- state firearm law
    2- home firearm safety
    3-handgun mechanism and operations

maybe print the sb281 and give it to your friend. its already been signed by o'smelly. they cannot add other requirements as they please.

Sgt Preston here...

The final copy of SB 281 has NOT been released...

It is NOT available to FFL's...

We had a very in-depth conversation about Oct 1st & the ability of his customers to buy a gun after Oct 1st...

I asked him if he was prepared to offer the training for his customers to be able to buy a gun after Oct 1st...

He said that SB 281 has NOT yet been finalized or released...

And that ONLY Md State Police would be authorized to teach these classes...

He mentioned that only 105 MSP Officers are qualified to teach the new classes...

The curriculum & training materials for the course are being discussed but have not been finalized...

His range offers an extensive selection of NRA & Utah CCW courses right now...

Believe me CCW was NOT discussed...

Stick around, you'll see, it's coming...

The only links I've seen to the Bill are unsigned mark ups, NOT the signed final copy..?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The link to the final bill has been given on this forum MANY times.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Read it.

Your FFL is WRONG. But many people are saying all sorts of things. Some of which were in earlier versions of the bill, but later removed before it passed.

The bill has been passed, at that point it cannot be modified without another legislative session. And it has been SIGNED. Again, pretty FINAL.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The link to the final bill has been given on this forum MANY times.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Read it.

Your FFL is WRONG. But many people are saying all sorts of things. Some of which were in earlier versions of the bill, but later removed before it passed.

The bill has been passed, at that point it cannot be modified without another legislative session. And it has been SIGNED. Again, pretty FINAL.

I would assume his FFL meant the implementing regs and COMAR have not been promulgated or published yet.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sgt Preston here...

The final copy of SB 281 has NOT been released...

It is NOT available to FFL's...

We had a very in-depth conversation about Oct 1st & the ability of his customers to buy a gun after Oct 1st...

I asked him if he was prepared to offer the training for his customers to be able to buy a gun after Oct 1st...

He said that SB 281 has NOT yet been finalized or released...

And that ONLY Md State Police would be authorized to teach these classes...

He mentioned that only 105 MSP Officers are qualified to teach the new classes...

The curriculum & training materials for the course are being discussed but have not been finalized...

His range offers an extensive selection of NRA & Utah CCW courses right now...

Believe me CCW was NOT discussed...

Stick around, you'll see, it's coming...

The only links I've seen to the Bill are unsigned mark ups, NOT the signed final copy..?

Keep thinking that.. just don't spill any false info. What sb281 has laid out is the law. Msp cannot create their own law.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    THIS is an active LEO.

Then it covers retired LEP.

In this case, punctuation is the factor as there is no comma after or to separate the two types (active and retired as you put it), so there is only one type, retired LEOs and LEPs .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom