• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sgt Preston here...

The big issue is the training requirement...

NRA Courses are NOT acceptable...

Hunter Safety Courses = NOT acceptable...

The new training can only be taught by the Authorized Maryland State Police...

No dates have been set for any training classes...

AFTER you finish the training requirement & have been fingerprinted,

You will be given an extensive background check & have to WAIT for a while...

At some point you will get a permit that allows you to buy guns for 5 years...

At that point you are good to go & can buy a gun & then wait another 100 days the have your background re-checked for each purchase...

The whole training & fingerprinting process must be repeated every 5 years...

And it's going to cost you some $$$...

You keep posting this, but it is WRONG.

1) Hunter Safety Course IS acceptable.

2) If you have already have purchased regulated firearms, you do not need the training.

3) If you are active duty military, retired, or honorably discharged, you don't need training.

4) Training does NOT have to be performed by MSP.

5) The only thing you may be right, but it has not been determined, is whether NRA courses will count.

And the HQL has to be renewed every TEN (10 years), not 5. And there is nothing requiring a repeat of the training or fingerprinting. Just paying the $50 fee.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    swinokur, thank you. Glad to see others are actually reading the law as signed by MOM and not just getting hysterical over rumor/innuendo/grapevine "gouge".

Not going back into the legal library right now (what are you drinking tonight? thread comes to mind), but as I recall, the renewal was for $20 and did not require repeating all the steps required to originally get the HQL.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Does anyone have any other details in reference to the new law coming Oct.1? I know we will have to provide fingerprints and a required saftey course to establish a license to buy guns. My question is, if we meet the requirements to establish a license, does this mean that I will still have to wait the seven days, or will there be instant checks like other states? If we cant purchase same day then this license to buy is some bull$hit!!!!!

Since I'm retired Army, I have a MD Hunters Safety card, and Qualified
    a NRA pistol trainer I won' need the safety course.
    Problem is, HOW long will it take to get the HQL forms and HQL after sumbitting to MSP?

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I think people saying the 90 day wait will turn into a 6-12 month wait after Oct 1st are being unrealistic. Come October, sales are going to drop like a rock. Most of the guns that people are currently buying are ones that will be banned after October so those sale will be gone. There will also be fewer people buying handguns as people are stocking up now so that won’t have to buy after October 1st.

People will also be waiting on litigation to see if they should even get the HQL. Why spend 50-100$ on a permit that might just get put on hold within a month?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Since I'm retired Army, I have a MD Hunters Safety card, and Qualified
    a NRA pistol trainer I won' need the safety course.
    Problem is, HOW long will it take to get the HQL forms and HQL after sumbitting to MSP?

Why do you care how long it will take to get the forms and license? You don't need the HQL as retired military. Or are you just venting? I've asked on this forum repeatedly if anyone can point to where in SB281 where it says active duty and retired military must have the HQL to purchase handguns after 1 OCT, and so far just crickets (chirp, chirp).

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2502701#post2502701[/url]

From SB281, I quote, "A “handgun qualification license” authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. A licensed firearms manufacturer, a specified active or retired law enforcement officer, a member or retired member of the U.S. Armed Forces or the National Guard, and a person purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm (as defined under federal law) are exempt from the requirements of the licensing provisions."
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/fn...001/sb0281.pdf

eurobuff

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 21, 2011
    Why do you care how long it will take to get the forms and license? You don't need the HQL as retired military. Or are you just venting? I've asked on this forum repeatedly if anyone can point to where in SB281 where it says active duty and retired military must have the HQL to purchase handguns after 1 OCT, and so far just crickets (chirp, chirp).

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2502701#post2502701[/url]

From SB281, I quote, "A “handgun qualification license” authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. A licensed firearms manufacturer, a specified active or retired law enforcement officer, a member or retired member of the U.S. Armed Forces or the National Guard, and a person purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm (as defined under federal law) are exempt from the requirements of the licensing provisions."
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/fn...001/sb0281.pdf

Exactly. I have every intention of going to purchase a HK P30 on 1 OCT using just my military id.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Exactly. I have every intention of going to purchase a HK P30 on 1 OCT using just my military id.

Or, you could wait another month after the supply far exceeds the demand and score a better price. I really agree with some of the other posters on MDS that many if not most are purchasing handguns now to avoid the hassle after 1 OCT. I purchased a PX4 Storm in early April. Had I known about the 90 - 100 day wait times then, I would have delayed until probably November. My dollars should have been targeted at the banned list.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sgt Preston here...

The big issue is the training requirement...

NRA Courses are NOT acceptable...

Hunter Safety Courses = NOT acceptable...

Incorrect, page 31 lines 1-6

1 1. A FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING COURSE
    2 APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY; OR

3 2. A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN COMPETENCY AND
    4 SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF
    5 NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER § 10–301.1 OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES
    6 ARTICLE; OR

The new training can only be taught by the Authorized Maryland State Police...

See above...

No dates have been set for any training classes...

AFTER you finish the training requirement & have been fingerprinted,

You will be given an extensive background check & have to WAIT for a while...

Bill says 30 days, time will tell. (page 31 lines 13-14)

At some point you will get a permit that allows you to buy guns for 5 years...

10 years...Page 32 lines 4 - 5)

At that point you are good to go & can buy a gun & then wait another 100 days the have your background re-checked for each purchase...

The whole training & fingerprinting process must be repeated every 5 years...

And it's going to cost you some $$$...

10 years, no more training requirement, no more fingerprint requirement, $20 renewal fee. (Page 32, lines 6 - 21)

here is the link to the bill as enrolled (signed by the Governor): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I did however hear that if you were Law Enforcement, you would not have to attend the required safety course. Anyone else hear that?

LEO appears to have been stricken, valid exemptions are:

HAS COMPLETED A CERTIFIED FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY; OR

HAS COMPLETED A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN COMPETENCY AND SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER § 10–301.1 OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES ARTICLE;

A QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR;

IS AN HONORABLY DISCHARGED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR THE NATIONAL GUARD;

IS AN EMPLOYEE OF AN ARMORED CAR COMPANY AND HAS A PERMIT ISSUED UNDER TITLE 5, SUBTITLE 3 OF THE PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE ; OR

LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM.

Link to bill as enrolled (Signed by the Governor): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Page 28, line 20 - page 29, line 16.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is just my .025 on finger printing.

There was talk in Annapolis that C&R holders are exempt from finger printing because it was done when they applied for the license.

If this is true or has changed, please chime in.

Also, ex-military and retired military are exempt from training, but still need the HQL.

C&R is not required to have an HQL for handguns. If it is a banned item and a C&R, then of course it would be illegal after Oct 1.

Ex-military/retired military are exempt from training, see my reply above.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    LEO appears to have been stricken, valid exemptions are:

HAS COMPLETED A CERTIFIED FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY; OR

HAS COMPLETED A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN COMPETENCY AND SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER § 10–301.1 OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES ARTICLE;

A QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR;

IS AN HONORABLY DISCHARGED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR THE NATIONAL GUARD;

IS AN EMPLOYEE OF AN ARMORED CAR COMPANY AND HAS A PERMIT ISSUED UNDER TITLE 5, SUBTITLE 3 OF THE PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE ; OR

LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM.

Link to bill as enrolled (Signed by the Governor): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Page 28, line 20 - page 29, line 16.
    No, I just read it. It exclude LEO's from having to attend a training course. But still have to get the stupid license. Rediculous!

GoO's

long time first time
    Jun 17, 2013
    just outside Balamer city
    If this is going into effect on Oct 1 then the ground work for the MSP dealing with this should be done. I don't think it is. I bet they have to push the Oct date back to accommodate the actually work the MSP will have to do.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If this is going into effect on Oct 1 then the ground work for the MSP dealing with this should be done. I don't think it is. I bet they have to push the Oct date back to accommodate the actually work the MSP will have to do.

The MSP has published nothing so far.

Keep an eye on "the Maryland Register" for proposed changes to the COMAR to support the new laws.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/MDRegister/mdregister.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom