Newbie Question-Why do you build your own tactical-style rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have a colt ar and I will not upgrade or change a pin on it. I keep it original. Some guns you shouldn't touch.

And there's spike tactical ar. You can buy it online for $899.00 and strip it and sell the parts for $1,200. I bought one for my son and upgraded the trigger and sold the old trigger for $50. Anything spike goes for double. H2 buffer for $60 spring for $25 and butt stock for $55. Because it has a logo on it. Crazy!

i know they don't make any of there stuff.i guess it's good marketing

I never understood how the double dick spider logo became so popular... but ST does make good parts and rifles.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a colt ar and I will not upgrade or change a pin on it. I keep it original. Some guns you shouldn't touch.

Yes.

I have a Colt Custom Shop Python. NO MODS EVER.

But a Colt AR? I have no problem with limited mods.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yes.

I have a Colt Custom Shop Python. NO MODS EVER.

But a Colt AR? I have no problem with limited mods.

Agreed. New handguard/rails, different stock and grip, rear sight and an RDO or ACOG or something, upgraded trigger if necessary.

Customization, not re-inventing the wheel. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I use Noveske lowers great quality and look beautiful. Usually buy on gunbroker and have them sent to Bollingers in Taneytown for transfer (and they are releasing 8th day as well). Plus Bob does excellent Gunsmithing and cerakote jobs.

Anyone local sell Noveske lowers and uppers?

Scarab

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    So if you were going to buy a lower and upper of the same manufacturer what manufacturer would that be? Colt? Adcore? Deltone? etc?

Sound off!

Scarab

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Because it's fun, I can make exactly what I want, and I need a hobby.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I never understood how the double dick spider logo became so popular... but ST does make good parts and rifles.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Uppers lowers and hand guards are made by seekins now.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    On Target says they sell them. They also release in 8 days. So I'm just wondering what quality of Lower they are.

Scarab

DPMS upper parts are top shelf. I would not hesitate to lower parts as well. With my build, I mated a Stag lower to the DPMS upper. Zero play between the parts. Also, you can't go wrong with a Rock River Arms bolt carrier group. Gunbroker is the best source for that hard to find item.

I found the fit and finish of all their parts to be above Bushmaster quality.

Midway USA is a great source for DPMS parts. Their smooth side/flat top AR 15 upper receiver is a thing of beauty. Very modern with just an ejection port. No brass deflector or ejection port cover.

If your the handy sort and good with tools, building an upper is a cake walk.

Good luck with it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I plan on purchasing a lower, or two, soon. I hear I should also apply for Designated collector status and Curio and relics FFL is that correct and is there anything else I should be looking to do.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I bought my first AR one year ago and I have upgraded a lot of the easy stuff on it and just purchased my first stripped lower that arrived today and I have to do the paper work. My first purchase was entry level DPMS Oracle complete rifle and now I am trying to figure out if I should build this new one as economical as possible or take my time and build a higher end model.

It seems as though everyone constantly upgrades so I am thinking to spend the money in portions and build once with the high grade components. Building it because I think I can and would like to see the process.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    because building uppers/ lowers is better than playing with Lego Blocks

Attachments

• box.jpg
      box.jpg
      91 KB · Views: 96
    • workshop.jpg
      workshop.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 99

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    because building uppers/ lowers is better than playing with Lego Blocks

SCARCQB - will you not be happy until literally every member of the forum posts about how much they hate you, when you post pictures of your toys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom