Newbie Question-Why do you build your own tactical-style rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I know they sell whole rifles in this style like the Bushmaster AR-15. Why do you build your own tactical-style rifles? I see people buying "lowers" and "picanntily rails".

I know this is probably a noob question but I really have no idea. I'm looking at getting an AR15 style rifle and want to get all the facts and info I can before making a informed, intelligent decision.

Thanks!

Scarab

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    According to the federal government, and the state of MD. the lower receiver of the weapon is what constitutes the firearm, and is therefore regulated. There are several reason that people buy them separately or build their own.

First, the lower receiver is a relatively cheap purchase compared to a full weapon, and in a situation like in MD right now, where all of these weapons will be banned from being sold after 10/1, people can buy as many lowers as they want (can) now, and build the rest of the firearm at a later date, and still conform to the letter of the law.

Second, the AR platform is very adaptable, and pretty easy to work on if y ou are mechanically inclined. A lot of people like to build their own because they like to know how they work, and take pride in having built them.

Also, Every AR lower that is bought complete as a firearm, has a serial number, and is tracked by the government through a regulated sale at an FFL. It is legal in the USA for a citizen to manufacture a fire arm for their personal use, without going through a FFL. The purpose of an 80% lower, is that it can be sold as a chuck of metal, that can be easily manufactured into a lower by the customer at home, therefor bypassing FFL registration.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The AR platform is very versatile, there are literally thousands of different parts that can be used to customize or build your own rifle to suit your needs. The customizing of them to get them the way you want is half the fun of building one.

You can also upgrade a stock rifle along the way with a part here, a part there, until you have what you want.. then you'll change it.. .again and again... LMAO

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm definitely mechically inclined but I wouldn't know the first thing about what to buy if I wanted to build my own.

Scarab
    Well then, you would probably be best buying a complete rifle and learning about it.. then you'll want to do more to it..

It is a very easy weapon to work on, made in a modular fashion, so customizing it does not require an expert gunsmith in most cases...

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I'm definitely mechically inclined but I wouldn't know the first thing about what to buy if I wanted to build my own.

Scarab

Thats what is good about the AR. Buy a couple of lowers now, take your time learning about the parts, and build it at your leisure, after poking around here for a bit.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    I know they sell whole rifles in this style like the Bushmaster AR-15. Why do you build your own tactical-style rifles? I see people buying "lowers" and "picanntily rails".

I know this is probably a noob question but I really have no idea. I'm looking at getting an AR15 style rifle and want to get all the facts and info I can before making a informed, intelligent decision.

Thanks!

Scarab

Thanks. I'm going to build one too.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Q: Why do people personalize vehicles and build custom hot rods?
    A: Because they can!

^this^

and if you are really into it, whether a gun or car, it is nice to make it unique to your tastes. I haven't owned a car yet that I didn't do something to to make it MINE and not like everybody elses.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Cheaper to buy a complete AR. But You have to lay out t ton of dough

Building one

Buy the parts when you have the cash

The enjoyment of knowing your rifle inside and out

Use the parts you want

Having the one of a kind rifle at the range Priceless

I would like to thank President Clinton and his stupid AWB for the start of my AR build that took way too long to complete.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    2haeql9oyt.jpg

Pretty much the same reason people customize cars, or anything else. They have an interest in getting into the guts of it, figuring out how it works, and seeing if they can make it work better, or at least be more aesthetically interesting.

Some people make a hobby out of gun ownership. Others just want a reliable firearm "in case of emergency". Both reasons for firearm ownership are equally valid.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    ARs are tinkertoys. Easy to build, easy to modify, plenty of customization options.

In some cases it's cheaper to build your own vs buying something comparable off a rack. But maybe you are looking for a competition rifle with sub-MOA accuracy and a slick trigger. Or a zombie build with rails everywhere and a chainsaw on the end. Or an odd caliber.

Even if you have no real interest in any of the above, just learning how all the parts go together is pretty fascinating and will help you appreciate the mechanics of the rifle.

ETA: The flipside of building your own is that it can be maligned as a "frankenrifle". For the most part, AR parts are interchangeable but minor differences in tolerances between different manufacturers can cause issues. The lower and the upper fit can be sloppy, bolts may not like the upper they are installed in, etc. So some guys will only buy built rifles from a brand-name manufacturer because they are backed by a reliable warranty and of "known" quality.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    For me a complete rifle while cheaper to start with is more expensive in the long run. When I build my AR I get the parts I want and install them and I am done. I may buy a rifle like a Bushmaster, I may like 80% but I then need to buy the 20% I want an install it. So far all my ARs are built the way I want them and like them and besides optics will probably never change. I believe in doing the work once.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Buying a lower now for $150 or so, or a dozen :-), and building them later post ban and flipping the bird at OweMally is priceless........... I was always interested in AR's but never had the extra cash to buy one, or a pistol for that matter but now that the cash is available they want to ban them so at least 2 lowers are in my future before Oct gets here.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Buying a lower now for $150 or so, or a dozen :-), and building them later post ban and flipping the bird at OweMally is priceless........... I was always interested in AR's but never had the extra cash to buy one, or a pistol for that matter but now that the cash is available they want to ban them so at least 2 lowers are in my future before Oct gets here.

Will we still be able to buy lowers after October 1st in MD?

Scarab

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I'm comfortable building a lower but not an upper, so I buy assembled uppers from a place like Palmetto State Armory and add a BCG and charging handle.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Will we still be able to buy lowers after October 1st in MD?
    Scarab

I don't think so. Since the lower is considered the Firearm and AR style firearms will be basically banned I think not but to make this a sticky issue H-Bar versions of the AR is not banned so we may still be able to build one if you use a H-Bar upper. The lower is not marked H-Bar though.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom