Newbie Question-Why do you build your own tactical-style rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For me it is the satisfaction of making something mine. There are no others like them because I made them.

Rem 7400 30-06, Ruger 10-22, Dan Wesson 44mag, EAA Witness.

Attachments

• Rem MG.jpg
      Rem MG.jpg
      145.4 KB · Views: 161
    • pimptastic 10-22.jpg
      pimptastic 10-22.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 160
    • Johns Phone range stuff 037.jpg
      Johns Phone range stuff 037.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 158
    • Johns Phone range stuff 043.jpg
      Johns Phone range stuff 043.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 159
    Last edited:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Careful Bean he's on to you!

Google the M4Carbine "chart". It has a spreadsheet of how several different ARs are put together. There are a lot of things to look for. It is required reading for new AR buyers, IMO.

Basically what you need to know is this: Colt Defense rifles (such as the LE6920) are the standard by which all others are judged. Their rifles are practically identical to M4 carbines used in the military, except they have a 16" barrel and are not capable of automatic fire.

There are rifles that look the part, but are manufactured using methods other than to the Technical Data Package specifications. Only a few companies (including Colt and FNMI) have these specs. It can be argued that these rifles are not "mil-spec" or are inferior. They may be. But keep in mind that the Colt rifles are built to stand up to 15,000 rounds or more with only minor parts replacement necessary. It can also be argued that not everyone needs such a durable rifle, and may have a tighter budget and can get away with a "lesser" rifle because it won't be run as hard or as long. Most casual rifle shooters I know only shoot a few hundred to a thousand rounds a year at best!

Then there are companies that go above and beyond: BCM, Noveske, LMT, LaRue Tactical, Knight's Armament Co., etc. They take Colt quality components and build upon that with different barrel options, rail systems etc.

Caveat Emptor: do your research. It's best to buy once cry once... but with ARs I have found that I just buy and buy and buy.... and if something makes me "cry" I will trade it/give it away/trade it. If you buy quality gear, you can usually find someone that will buy the parts if you later discover something isn't to your liking.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    So what are the best lowers/uppers to buy? Colt? If I know what experienced people think are the best, and what are crap manufacturers, then I can make an informed decision. Also what cost is reasonable for a high quality lower?

Scarab

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    The thing with AR type rifles is that you can get any setup you want. I won't say that an AR-10 in 260 Remington hasn't crossed my mind.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    So what are the best lowers/uppers to buy? Colt? If I know what experienced people think are the best, and what are crap manufacturers, then I can make an informed decision. Also what cost is reasonable for a high quality lower?

Scarab

IMO, Bravo Company and Noveske are hard to beat. Palmetto State Armory are good for the value.

I have a few BCM uppers (the only ones I have that I didn't build myself) and have another one on the list. Colt uppers are VERY expensive. When I was building an M16A4 clone, correct flat top government profile barreled Colt uppers were $1000-1400. I got a a BCM upper (without handguard or BCG) for about $400. Same exact quality.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    IMO, Bravo Company and Noveske are hard to beat. Palmetto State Armory are good for the value.

I have a few BCM uppers (the only ones I have that I didn't build myself) and have another one on the list. Colt uppers are VERY expensive. When I was building an M16A4 clone, correct flat top government profile barreled Colt uppers were $1000-1400. I got a a BCM upper (without handguard or BCG) for about $400. Same exact quality.

Si vis pacem para bellum

This is what I need. Some opinions on what are universally considered high quality components. There are no wrong opinions, but I need everyone to chime in on what they think are the best or good quality.

Scarab

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Check out palmettostatearmory.com. From what I've heard their lowers are decent and they are 119.00.

2A sales has billet lowers made by SWAT for 189.00. Best deal around. Decide on what purpose you want to use it for.
    x2 on 2A sales. FFL transfer fees are now at LEAST $50 around me for regulated transfers. So the $190 from 2A, minus another $15 for shipping, is effectively a $125 "billet" lower. Unbeatable deal unless you just have to have a more bling company engraving/feature. I saw them yesterday and look nice.

PSA (palmetto), AP (aero precision), etc sell forged for ~$100 when in stock now. (Blemished can be even cheaper) But its still hard to beat the 2A deal right now.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I was told some lower brands are made by a few manufactured. I don't give to much credit to one brand to another long as they are reputable.
    I do think the trigger is the most important part of a lower and I always decide on a trigger before I build. Don't buy the lower kits with a trigger, you can buy lower kis without a trigger for $30 and buy a ALG's triggers for $45-$65. Lot better than a standard mil-spec trigger. These triggers are enhanced by Geissele. I would recommend a Geissele G2S 2-stage trigge, they go for $165.00 but worth every dime.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Purpose?!?!? I WANT TO BE RAMBO!!!

Scarab :D

Like this? This is a Lmt lower with Geissele 2-stage trigger. Upper is also Lmt and 14.5 with pinned flash to make it 16.1". With Daniel defense rail. It took me 2 months to scrape up all the parts. You can save a lot if you buy some items slightly used, like i did with DD rail. I paid $125

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 138

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    For what its worth Rock River Arms has good upper parts IF you can get them...I build my first one years ago and it was cheaper than buying the whole thing complete. Even at 12yrs ago prices...

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Like this? This is a Lmt lower with Geissele 2-stage trigger. Upper is also Lmt and 14.5 with pinned flash to make it 16.1". With Daniel defense rail. It took me 2 months to scrape up all the parts. You can save a lot if you buy some items slightly used, like i did with DD rail. I paid $125

Can you share what all the parts are (manufacturer, model, price) of what's on that hottey?

LMT Lower
    Geissele 2-stage trigger
    LMT Upper
    Assuming 14.5 with pinned flash to make it 16.1" is the barrel?
    And what is a rail (by Danial Defense)

Forgive my ignorance.

Scarab

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Can you share what all the parts are (manufacturer, model, price) of what's on that hottey?

LMT Lower
    Geissele 2-stage trigger
    LMT Upper
    Assuming 14.5 with pinned flash to make it 16.1" is the barrel?
    And what is a rail (by Danial Defense)

Forgive my ignorance.

Scarab

Lower build $600 includes Geissele SSA-E $230
    Upper build $800 includes gg&g pop-up sights $90
    Gunsmith. $50 pinning flash

Eotech exp-33 $550
    Crimson trace $100

I used stuff I had laying around, like the sling is from my M1 garand. Lot of the stuff I added over time when deals came up.
    If you need gun work done, jacks gun works. They charged me $50 for pinning flash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 133

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is like computers. You can buy a ready to run computer that works and may be perfect for your needs. Or you can buy a ready to run, and then modify it to better fit your needs. Or you can build from scratch.

Up to you and what you need.

I build almost all my computers. But recently, I needed to replace one, but with the use it gets, I just bought one. As I could not have built that level of computer for that cheap.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    It is like computers. You can buy a ready to run computer that works and may be perfect for your needs. Or you can buy a ready to run, and then modify it to better fit your needs. Or you can build from scratch.

Up to you and what you need.

I build almost all my computers. But recently, I needed to replace one, but with the use it gets, I just bought one. As I could not have built that level of computer for that cheap.

I have a colt ar and I will not upgrade or change a pin on it. I keep it original. Some guns you shouldn't touch.

And there's spike tactical ar. You can buy it online for $899.00 and strip it and sell the parts for $1,200. I bought one for my son and upgraded the trigger and sold the old trigger for $50. Anything spike goes for double. H2 buffer for $60 spring for $25 and butt stock for $55. Because it has a logo on it. Crazy!

i know they don't make any of there stuff.i guess it's good marketing

NattyBuck

May 28, 2013
    HarCo
    I use Noveske lowers great quality and look beautiful. Usually buy on gunbroker and have them sent to Bollingers in Taneytown for transfer (and they are releasing 8th day as well). Plus Bob does excellent Gunsmithing and cerakote jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom