• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • velociROBtor

Dec 31, 2014
    Hey everyone, I am Rob. I am active duty AF and moved to the area a little over a year ago from my home state of TX. Happily married and we just bought our first home recently and moved off post. The wife is due in less than a month and though we chose a safe area to live in, it was not until recently that I started losing sleep over being gone so much. Only having a dog with more lick than bite (though quite the ferocious bark) and 9 iron by the bed isn't enough to keep me assured that the home will be safe when I am or am not around.

I plan on making my first purchase this week, with a few things in mind. I grew up with guns, but never felt the need to get one for myself until now. My only wish is that I would have done it sooner back at home where it is much easier and less expensive! These forums have been an awesome resource so I figured I would sign up as I am bound to have several more questions in the future.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Congrat, dad!

And welcome to the forums.

This community has been the vanguard of protecting our civil liberties in Maryland with regard to self defense; I hope you consider joining and participating in MSI, SAF and NRA.

My advice on the gun issue for Home Defense (HD), call Annapolis Defense and Security (ADS), get an nonresident Utah permit (call Dukes Defense), and buy a circuit judge .410/45long colt shotgun & rifle. It's highly effective in trained hands and is perfect for beginners. Also it's cash and carry, simple/instinctive to use, super reliable, low recoil, fun to train with. Very inexpensive. Check it out: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/08/28/rossi-circuit-judge-45colt-410-carbine/

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    You will find that being military takes a little of the sting of buying a hand gun in this state. What base are you stationed at?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Welcome aboard! Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Nothing says home defense like a pump shotgun. A Mossberg 500 or 590, in 20 gauge with #1 buck or 00 Buck is a great choice. Light enough recoil for your wife, and enough punch to stop any threat. Try to stay Under 20" in barrel length.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Congrat, dad!

And welcome to the forums.

This community has been the vanguard of protecting our civil liberties in Maryland with regard to self defense; I hope you consider joining and participating in MSI, SAF and NRA.

My advice on the gun issue for Home Defense (HD), call Annapolis Defense and Security (ADS), get an nonresident Utah permit (call Dukes Defense), and buy a circuit judge .410/45long colt shotgun & rifle. It's highly effective in trained hands and is perfect for beginners. Also it's cash and carry, simple/instinctive to use, super reliable, low recoil, fun to train with. Very inexpensive. Check it out: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/08/28/rossi-circuit-judge-45colt-410-carbine/

Good suggestions ... I 2nd (Amendment) them.

velociROBtor

Dec 31, 2014
    Congrat, dad!

My dad recommended the same thing for the house. Something to consider as my wife has not shot very much. I do want something to play with at the range and cc in the future (not sure if I will be in MD long enough to jump through the hoops). I have been looking at the SR9C and a few SIGs.

To be honest, if I get what I want first and the wife doesn't like it then I can always get something else. If I get something she really likes to begin with I might back myself into a corner for awhile.

velociROBtor

Dec 31, 2014
    You will find that being military takes a little of the sting of buying a hand gun in this state. What base are you stationed at?

Ft Meade. As for buying, it is my understanding that I do not need to obtain an HQL so that will be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom