• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Are the PSA Dagger magazines for the G43X the same magazine that is called ProMag on the PSA website or is this a 3rd vendor offering 15 round magazines for the G43X?

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    I wonder why Glock says it’s ok to use the Slide lock to release the slide View attachment 449656

I wonder why Glock says it’s ok to use the Slide lock to release the slide. View attachment 449656

Looks like a pretty OLD pic from an OLD manual.

I never said you CAN NOT do it.... But Can it and will it cause a problem at some point, yes it can. And it is a Slide Stop Lever NOT a Release.

This is out of the CURRENT Glock Armorers Manual
    IMG_6514.jpg

I Do Not See any where about using the Slide Stop Lever.

If it works for you, Great!!! All I am saying is it can and will cause an issue at some point.... When exactly, Can Not say.. Malfunctions happen for many various reasons.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I would have told him to not worry about me and carry on.
    I did. I honestly tried to do the sling shot method to be a respectfully cooperative student. But the routine just took over once the slow deliberate instruction was finished.

He insisted on the hand over slide to rack which I don’t do because it can induce malfunctions. Well during one drill it induced a malfunction. After that he let me do what I do. We were on pleasant terms.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I never said you CAN NOT do it.... But Can it and will it cause a problem at some point, yes it can. And it is a Slide Stop Lever NOT a Release.

If it works for you, Great!!! All I am saying is it can and will cause an issue at some point.... When exactly, Can Not say.. Malfunctions happen for many various reasons.
    You keep saying this. Although my experience shooting 100's of thousands of rounds with what has to be 10's of thousands? of reloads using the release, my issued P229 had NEVER experienced anything you keep referring to. Not once during my whole career did my agency send out notice to not use the slide lock. Maybe Sig is so superior to other brands?
    99.9% of shooters here are casual shooters who would never shoot enough for it to be an issue if in fact it is an issue.

What problems have you experienced with whatever pistol you have had it personally happen to?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I did. I honestly tried to do the sling shot method to be a respectfully cooperative student. But the routine just took over once the slow deliberate instruction was finished.

He insisted on the hand over slide to rack which I don’t do because it can induce malfunctions. Well during one drill it induced a malfunction. After that he let me do what I do. We were on pleasant terms.
    There are certain things I would emphasize to a shooter, like grip or aiming type stuff, but charging the slide is probably the last critique on the scale.
    I overhand the slide, but try to keep my hand from covering the ejection port. But that isn't so much an issue because if I am overhanding the slide, that means I am locking it back, and if it's because of a malfunction, I am most likely dropping the mag and that casing or round will fall through the well or I am flinging it out.
    Being at the range so much, I preferred overhand because I turn facing towards the pistol and that guarantees it is pointing down range. I pretend the barrel is on a dowel and I have to "walk" around to pistol to do what I have to do.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

View attachment 449724

Blanket statements like this usually end up being not all encompassing.

This depends on tbe pistol. Ruger states in the MkII operators manual to sling shot the bolt because the pistol was designed that way. I had two 22/45’s, MkII and MkIV. Slide stop dropping the bolts were a breeze and didn’t cause any undue wear nor problematic. My MkII 5.5” bull barrel pistol which I had since 1982 is still sling shotted because Ruger built it like that and I have not needed to do slide stop bolt drops. Likewise on an HK VP9 I had.

1911…the slide stop depressing shelf was redesigned on the A1 pistols to be at a different angle to enhance slide stop dropping the slide. I shot a P-85 MkII pistol which I slide dropped the slide for years in competition and practice. No issues.

A properly designed, shaped, polished interface of the slide hold open notch and slide stop hold open surface will not cause issues.

Not being abrasive but I notice this argument…insistance…mostly from the Glock camp or a consistent battery of arms. I am not implying anything just an observation.

Last edited:

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    You keep saying this. Although my experience shooting 100's of thousands of rounds with what has to be 10's of thousands? of reloads using the release, my issued P229 had NEVER experienced anything you keep referring to. Not once during my whole career did my agency send out notice to not use the slide lock. Maybe Sig is so superior to other brands?
    99.9% of shooters here are casual shooters who would never shoot enough for it to be an issue if in fact it is an issue.

What problems have you experienced with whatever pistol you have had it personally happen to?

My duty issued Sig220 did have a couple failures to go into battery while using the slide stop as a release due to a Bad Recoil Spring. I am glad you have never experienced this issue. But since you have not seen it or experienced does not mean it has not happened or can't happen. I still see it happen from time to time on the range with various agencies with Glock, S&W, & Sig for various reason. The 2 biggest culprits are a dirty gun and or bad recoil springs. Ammo can also be an issue for it but have not seen that in a few years. More dead primers or bad casings now a days due to poor QC from all brand of manufactures.

The casual shooter can have this issue due to poor maint of their weapon. Which I have seen in the LE world also, and still do sadly.

I am not going down that road of which is better, SIG or Glock.... I carried both on duty and off..... Still own both brands :)

Guess we can Agree to Disagree to a point

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My duty issued Sig220 did have a couple failures to go into battery while using the slide stop as a release due to a Bad Recoil Spring. I am glad you have never experienced this issue. But since you have not seen it or experienced does not mean it has not happened or can't happen. I still see it happen from time to time on the range with various agencies with Glock, S&W, & Sig for various reason. The 2 biggest culprits are a dirty gun and or bad recoil springs. Ammo can also be an issue for it but have not seen that in a few years. More dead primers or bad casings now a days due to poor QC from all brand of manufactures.

The casual shooter can have this issue due to poor maint of their weapon. Which I have seen in the LE world also, and still do sadly.

I am not going down that road of which is better, SIG or Glock.... I carried both on duty and off..... Still own both brands :)

This is not a fault in dropping the slide with the slide stop. It is a fault in another part of the pistol. Condemning one because of the other is erroneous and a poor supporting argument.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

You're addressing a cleanliness issue about going into battery. That's a lube issue.But you said damage. I'm asking what damage it can cause.
    A dry pistol or center spring expansion on a Sig spring isn't caused by using the slide lock.

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    You're addressing a cleanliness issue about going into battery. That's a lube issue.But you said damage. I'm asking what damage it can cause.
    A dry pistol or center spring expansion on a Sig spring isn't caused by using the slide lock.
    Yup, maint or a bad part can sometimes be discovered by one using the slide stop as a release........ Thats all I am saying..... I am not saying it SHOULD NOT BE DONE or USED that way EVER.

Show me where I said DAMAGE?

Last edited:

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    This is not a fault in dropping the slide with the slide stop. It is a fault in another part of the pistol. Condemning one because of the other is erroneous and a poor supporting argument.
    It can be since pulling the slide to the rear does give that extra amount of force needed to go into battery IF there is another issue such as poor lubrication or a bad recoil spring.

I did not Condemn it or say it should never be used that way.

So whatever.......................

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I bought a 43X from SCSG about a year ago. I picked up a couple of the Shield Arms S-15 mags and one of their steel mag releases at a Gettysburg show. It dropped the factory 10 rd mags fine when they were empty, but won't drop them when they were loaded. I wasn't happy with that problem. I talked to a vender at a Gettysburg show this fall and he recommended trying a aluminum mag release to use for both types of mags.
    I bought one off of eBay and installed it. so far it has worked well with the factory 10 rounders and the Shield Arms 15 rounders, but I don't have enough rounds through this setup to know if it is reliable long term.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I bought a 43X from SCSG about a year ago. I picked up a couple of the Shield Arms S-15 mags and one of their steel mag releases at a Gettysburg show. It dropped the factory 10 rd mags fine when they were empty, but won't drop them when they were loaded. I wasn't happy with that problem. I talked to a vender at a Gettysburg show this fall and he recommended trying a aluminum mag release to use for both types of mags.
    I bought one off of eBay and installed it. so far it has worked well with the factory 10 rounders and the Shield Arms 15 rounders, but I don't have enough rounds through this setup to know if it is reliable long term.
    Don't use metal on plastic, plastic on metal when it comes to mags and releases. Not in self defense mode of carry anyway. Do all you want at the range. But still know that 1 of either can wear down the other prematurely. Depending on the amount of use of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom