• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    They work well. OEM mag doesn't like the metal mag release though, if that matters.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    43X is a solid choice for carry. If you like Glocks, you'll be happy with your choice-- the extended grip gives you a better purchase but you do pay for that with a little more difficulty in concealment-- depending on how you choose to carry, holster, and body type.

The Shield Arms mags have mixed reviews, generally depending on the Gen. There are a couple good threads on the forum regarding both the 43X and the mags. I have both gens of the mags and I have to say I do occasionally get feeding issues while at the range with the 1st gen mags. There is a "fix"-- you tube videos regarding the process.

Some folks on the forum have had "zero" issues with their mags out of the package--YMMV.

I currently carry the 43X with the SA magwell and a Hyve metal mag release. I haven't had any issues with OEM mags not releasing or excessive wear on the mag notch-- again YMMV.

Enjoy your 43X-- my wife and I both have nothing but good things to say about ours.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Thanks for the info. I do want this for carry. I needed the larger version for my grip. The Shield Arms Gen 3 mags should be good to go. What is the SA magwell, Shield Arms?

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I carry the G48(a longer barrel version of the 43x) and use the Shield Arms mags. There is a case to be made that a mis-feed can occur in the gen 2s though the only time it ever happened to me was while shooting my W&C qual, twice.

Be sure, when you insert a mag, you do it with positive force, followed by a palm slap to the bottom of the mag. Also, sling-shotting the slide will also help avoid any possible problems. After thousands of rounds since then, not a single mis-feed. I love the gun and consider it 100% reliable.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Dominion defense in Springfield, VA has all the shield arms stuff including the mags, mag catches, magwells, etc. They might be able to set it all up for you if you are in early during non busy hours.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    I carry the G48(a longer barrel version of the 43x) and use the Shield Arms mags. There is a case to be made that a mis-feed can occur in the gen 2s though the only time it ever happened to me was while shooting my W&C qual, twice.

Be sure, when you insert a mag, you do it with positive force, followed by a palm slap to the bottom of the mag. Also, sling-shotting the slide will also help avoid any possible problems. After thousands of rounds since then, not a single mis-feed. I love the gun and consider it 100% reliable.
    Did you replace the mag release?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dominion defense in Springfield, VA has all the shield arms stuff including the mags, mag catches, magwells, etc. They might be able to set it all up for you if you are in early during non busy hours.
    That's good to know CD. I have a growing family of G43 shooters. They need good mags. Thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Did you replace the mag release?
    Yes. From the get-go. I also peened the rear corners of the feed lips to help move the cartridge ever so slightly forward in the mag, which was the cause of the original feed problems.

I love your avatar @Redbean :thumbsup:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    43X is a solid choice for carry. If you like Glocks, you'll be happy with your choice-- the extended grip gives you a better purchase but you do pay for that with a little more difficulty in concealment-- depending on how you choose to carry, holster, and body type.

The Shield Arms mags have mixed reviews, generally depending on the Gen. There are a couple good threads on the forum regarding both the 43X and the mags. I have both gens of the mags and I have to say I do occasionally get feeding issues while at the range with the 1st gen mags. There is a "fix"-- you tube videos regarding the process.

Some folks on the forum have had "zero" issues with their mags out of the package--YMMV.

I currently carry the 43X with the SA magwell and a Hyve metal mag release. I haven't had any issues with OEM mags not releasing or excessive wear on the mag notch-- again YMMV.

Enjoy your 43X-- my wife and I both have nothing but good things to say about ours.
    nice. I carry a 43x with Talos red dot. I use the VNSH wrap belt with the extra 2 mag holder from them. The guy at United had a wrap belt with the extended mags. Hides well.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    great to know!!! My old office is off Duke and King and new office is off 66 and 50. Not too far a drive. Have to pass by if heading the the Alexandria location down 270 to the outer loop :)

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Yes. From the get-go. I also peened the rear corners of the feed lips to help move the cartridge ever so slightly forward in the mag, which was the cause of the original feed problems.

I love your avatar @Redbean :thumbsup:
    What mag release did you use? Do you know where this avatar is? Hint: It's local and was in a famous 1973 movie. I took this pic on one of my deliveries.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Redbean's avatar. walked those stairs many times. used to work 19th and L and drove out past Georgetown to canal to get home to Germantown for 22 years. Family and I love to go on drives. We would drive through Georgetown on the wavy trolley tracks then park at that gas station to do the stairs

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    i can never find these in stock. One of the guys at United Gun Shop showed me with his carry pistol.
    Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore has them on sale with Ameriglo sites for $450.00, just about $10 more than the Blue Label price (including tax).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What mag release did you use? Do you know where this avatar is? Hint: It's local and was in a famous 1973 movie. I took this pic on one of my deliveries.
    Yup. Been there many times. I have Tubular Bells(The Exorcist theme song) as my ring tone on my cellie. :)

I have the Shield mag catch.

1000000869.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom