• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a1911guy

Jul 24, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I just moved to MD from Texas. I've been here for 4 months now. Now that I've had a good dose of MD, man... it's rough for gun folk here.

I took a job I've been working towards, with the same company for 20 years. Got my promotion but it required me to move to MD. While I'd probably do it over, I'll most likely leave first chance I get.

I've been shooting since my 21st Bday when I bought my first pistol. I'm pushing 40 now. I'm fortunate to have amassed a pretty nice gun collection over the years. I'm in the process of buying a regulated firearm. Man, what a waste of time and resources.

The biggest thing I miss is my CHL. I feel naked not being able to carry here. Also, the taxes here suuuuuck. But I'm sure you all know that.

Great forum. Lots of knowledgeable people here. Now I need to find a good place to shoot, pistol and rifle. I'm in Pasadena and work in Hanover. Look forward to being more involved in the forum and hope to see some of you at a range soon. I haven't been shooting since I moved here and I'm jonesing!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I just moved to MD from Texas. I've been here for 4 months now. Now that I've had a good dose of MD, man... it's rough for gun folk here.

I took a job I've been working towards, with the same company for 20 years. Got my promotion but it required me to move to MD. While I'd probably do it over, I'll most likely leave first chance I get.

I've been shooting since my 21st Bday when I bought my first pistol. I'm pushing 40 now. I'm fortunate to have amassed a pretty nice gun collection over the years. I'm in the process of buying a regulated firearm. Man, what a waste of time and resources.

The biggest thing I miss is my CHL. I feel naked not being able to carry here. Also, the taxes here suuuuuck. But I'm sure you all know that.

Great forum. Lots of knowledgeable people here. Now I need to find a good place to shoot, pistol and rifle. I'm in Pasadena and work in Hanover. Look forward to being more involved in the forum and hope to see some of you at a range soon. I haven't been shooting since I moved here and I'm jonesing!

Welcome! You're FROM Texas? And moved TO Maryland? I just made a note to send you a sympathy card.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Hi and welcome :wave:

Funny thing is, we're all scrambling to move to Texas and like places. Maryland is a beautiful place though, if ya ignore the people and the politics. As for ranges, the best public options(although not exactly close to you) include Hap Baker in Carroll County, Freestate indoor range in Middle River, and Delmarva Sporting Clays down on the shore. There are some good private clubs closer to you; namely AGC in Marriottsville and Anne Arundel Fish and Game.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I think you just defined insanity. That said welcome to Maryland. We have Great state if you love hunting, fishing and a wide variety of things to do withing a 150 mile drive in any direction from central MD. Sadly, we don't have the freedom to truly enjoy this state. I love escaping to TX a few times a year to hunt, and I hope to do it more.

While your here join Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) and register yourself as a DINO, http://www.freestatedinos.com/. Make a difference while you are here and perhaps we can turn the page on MD.

a1911guy

Jul 24, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the warm welcome. That's the good thing about gun people, where ever you live.

You dare hunt in MD? I practically feel like a felon just looking in my gun safe since moving here!

I've noticed that there are lots of private clubs vs just plane ole shooting ranges. Not opposed to joining a club, just seems like a bit of a hassle just to shoot. Some won't leave you alone until you've been there for a while??? Either way you slice it, shooting here is going to be difficult I have a feeling.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    So how did it feel watching the flock going in the other direction while you were heading here? lol. Welcome.

If you can move past the taxes, over reaching government and ignorant, government sucking slobs, then you'll this state. ha ha

On a serious note, we are close to lots of great recreation, some awesome national sites and good eats!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Thanks for the warm welcome. That's the good thing about gun people, where ever you live.

You dare hunt in MD? I practically feel like a felon just looking in my gun safe since moving here!

I've noticed that there are lots of private clubs vs just plane ole shooting ranges. Not opposed to joining a club, just seems like a bit of a hassle just to shoot. Some won't leave you alone until you've been there for a while??? Either way you slice it, shooting here is going to be difficult I have a feeling.

The private clubs are due to the lack of public ranges, and the crowds that often appear at those ranges. Besides the typical unsafe idiots that are everywhere, we also see a lot of, shall we say, unsafe novices. In particular the Call of Duty trained mall ninjas and the "gangsta" wannabes. The ranges I recommended earlier are the best public options with well trained staff members/ROs.

main-qimg-9b8e02a75a66549bd373208d70d1014b

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I used to shoot at Garland Public Shooting Range near Dallas. That place sucks compared to the AGC. Better than nothing, but if I do move back, I'm looking for a better, private range, even if it costs a couple hundred a year.

Some won't leave you alone until you've been there for a while???
    I don't understand what you mean. If you join the AGC, you just stop by anytime and shoot. No hassles.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Welcome.
    Just a question. So is your house still available in TX? LOL

You really went the wrong way.

I would again say look into AGC. Pretty dang good range, and no hassles.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Welcome, sorry to say I also moved here for the work 16 years ago, the plan has been to head to Florida in the next 5 years. I would move back to Texas but just about all the reasons to go back have all passed. Hope you have a good stay the last Guy who moved here for the work was RGIII. I think he wished he stayed in Texas. :lol2:

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    if you venture out to carroll county, hit me up and we can shoot at hap.

welcome to MDS. I moved here from KS, so I know the feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom