• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I posted recently a pristine example of a Chinese Sino with proper markings.

here you go after a quick search..
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=89970

(Cyrillic letter) with 4 numbers after it. /26\ after the SN

Very nice both of you, i really like the Sino's for historical value.
    here is my 4 digit, unfortunately its in a jungle stock but it kidna fits the era. Ill have to dig it out the safe and see what the numbers are, might be close to one of you guys.

Mine is Backwards J 3938 /26\

Attachments

• 4 digit sino soviet.jpg
      4 digit sino soviet.jpg
      140.2 KB · Views: 199

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Don't know for sure but the seller says it's the stamped CAI ST A VT (Century Arms I believe) with # K054x.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    In an attempt to continue my 'C & R gun every 2 1/2 weeks theme' since I got my 03 license, here's the latest addition. I know I had a 12 ga and sold it, but I thought this was a good deal on a decent old gun with some history-a Remington Model 11 auto load 12 ga. Under $250 shipped, what the hell.....had an empty spot on the gun rack.

Attachments

• 002 (691).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      002 (691).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 185
    • 002 (697).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      002 (697).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      33.5 KB · Views: 186
    • 002 (715).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      002 (715).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 179

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    In an attempt to continue my 'C & R gun every 2 1/2 weeks theme' since I got my 03 license, here's the latest addition. I know I had a 12 ga and sold it, but I thought this was a good deal on a decent old gun with some history-a Remington Model 11 auto load 12 ga. Under $250 shipped, what the hell.....had an empty spot on the gun rack.

Very nice Docster!! I love those and thats a good price from what i seen when i was looking for one. I might even be interested if you change your mind on it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks, I'll keep ya in mind. Last year bought a Mossy 500 in 12 ga, put a 'recoil-reducing' stock on it but after only 10 slugs decided to sell it-- beat up my shoulder! Just couldn't resist this one though, so I hope it's more enjoyable to shoot!!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The Remington Model 11 arrived while I was vacationing in Hawaii. Beautiful piece, but I did miss buying guns, so here's my next acquisition. From Gunbroker.com today, a Mauser 1934 with period holster; will change out the grips back to the original wood when possible, otherwise rest is original and matching. According to the serial number, it was made in 1939 (beginning of the war in Europe); production that year, 27,579.

Due to recent events was going to pick up a few more SKS's before a potential AWB, but this came up at a good price so I jumped on it.

Attachments

• pix324623221.jpg
      pix324623221.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 134
    • pix612825802.jpg
      pix612825802.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 137
    • pix423412293.jpg
      pix423412293.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 139

mitchugh

Feb 3, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    It is insured from Robertson; they've been real good to me, essentially hand-picking the last 2 SKS's I've bought from them. It's just not worth the hassle to file a claim--I can return the rifle and get a refund, then find it impossible to get another one anywhere near that price. I buy these as shooters not collectibles. I just find it heartbreaking that this particular rifle was a 1956 Model 56 so it was a Sino-Soviet, had all matching parts including that cracked stock and was otherwise in VG condition. Machodoc has offered to try repairing the stock to make it shootable (or sellable when the prices for SKS's skyrocket......). I'm very happy with that offer!

That's really disappointing to see, I'm sorry about your sks. I was really considering ordering one from Robertson's. Was this USPS's fault or Robertson's? How well was it packaged? Would you still recommend Robertson's Trading Post?

Sorry for the slew of questions

Last edited:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    My recent batch had a buttstock broke off too, thanks to UPS. I am just going to get a replacement sino-albanian stock...

on a side note, I personally disagree that just because it has a 6 digit serial number makes it a sino-soviet. I only consider them true sino-soviets if they have a 4 digit serial with cyrillic letter on it, Russian style. Russians were prolly out of china before they removed the cyrillic letters. imho.... my .02

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    My recent batch had a buttstock broke off too, thanks to UPS. I am just going to get a replacement sino-albanian stock...

on a side note, I personally disagree that just because it has a 6 digit serial number makes it a sino-soviet. I only consider them true sino-soviets if they have a 4 digit serial with cyrillic letter on it, Russian style. Russians were prolly out of china before they removed the cyrillic letters. imho.... my .02

That's the purist view, but we don't know for sure if the Soviet technicians left early (as is one theory), after insisting that the cyrillic prefixes were put onto the serial numbers, or if the ones with those prefixes were from already-made soviet parts, or what. It's all speculation.

The 6-digit numbers without the prefix are all 1956 production, so they are first year.

The brief period of cooperation between China and the Soviets, during which the rifles were made without the three Chinese "Type 56" characters on them lasted from 1956 to 1960s. The broad definition of Sino-Soviet is the rifles made during that period. Many of the dealers use this broader definition.

That said, I'd really like to have a Russian-prefix 1956 SKS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom