• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    How does the appeal process work? Is it like the NFL in that the person/parties who made the original decision just revue their decision and rule again?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    How does the appeal process work? Is it like the NFL in that the person/parties who made the original decision just revue their decision and rule again?

I was called and an appointment was made to meet at MSP Glen Burnie, I had to go in front of 5 appointed civilians and a Trooper, the trooper submitted the states case, and I said my peace. The 5 member panel took all evidence presented in to account and then made their decision while I was in the room.
    I had the feeling that they had pretty much made up their minds before I walked in the room.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I was called and an appointment was made to meet at MSP Glen Burnie, I had to go in front of 5 appointed civilians and a Trooper, the trooper submitted the states case, and I said my peace. The 5 member panel took all evidence presented in to account and then made their decision while I was in the room.
    I had the feeling that they had pretty much made up their minds before I walked in the room.

These are state appointed civilians, correct?

Safe to say that if you initially get denied, your appeal will go no better?

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Permit Review Members

Does anyone know when the appointees are selected? Will Hogan appoint his own?

Existing Handgun Permit Review Members with expiration of term years are:

Appointed by Governor with Senate advice & consent to 3-year terms:
    Charles M. Thomas, Jr., Chair (chosen by Governor), 2016
    Rolinda S. Collinson, 2014; Seymour R. Goldstein, 2015; W. Roland Knapp, 2017; Charles L. Washington, 2017.

Source: http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/22dpscs/html/dpscs.html#handgun

So Hogan can not replace them all at once

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It would certainly be interesting to have one or two friendlies on this board. If anything it would make life uncomfortable for the others.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    jkeiler: What a ridiculous outcome! A couple of questions:

How long did it take from the time you filed your appeal until the denial?

How did they communicate this to you? In writing?

Thanks this information would be very helpful to me.

CF

PS You know you have the right to appeal their decision to the Circuit Court of the County you live in.

CF--Application to final denial on appeal took about a year. From the appeal to denial I think about 6 months. All communication was in writing. I know I can appeal further, but in PGC I don't see a favorable outcome as likely, even though the rationale of the board in this case is pretty ridiculous. I can see why they don't allow applicants to speak at the appeal hearings--they would have to answer questions about their incoherent logic.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    CF--Application to final denial on appeal took about a year. From the appeal to denial I think about 6 months. All communication was in writing. I know I can appeal further, but in PGC I don't see a favorable outcome as likely, even though the rationale of the board in this case is pretty ridiculous. I can see why they don't allow applicants to speak at the appeal hearings--they would have to answer questions about their incoherent logic.

No they wouldn't; they'd just give you blank stares and then provide more incoherent logic about why you're being denied. If these people understood logic, they wouldn't be denying you in the first place.

Code:

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia

Thanks. The law says they have to either review the record or conduct a hearing within 90 days of receiving the request.
    They certainly didn't conduct a hearing since you weren't allowed to talk, so I guess they reviewed the record? Did they specify to you which of the two options they were doing?
    Sorry for all the questions. I am doing two appeals right now and the information is helpful. For too long the HPRB has gotten away with not following procedures (remember the open meeting issue) and I want to hold their feet to the fire. They are actually (in part) covered by Maryland's Administrative Procedures Act. If you'd prefer to answer privately pm me or my email is on my IP page.

CF

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What a corrupt setup. If they were subject to the open meeting requirement maybe they could be caught renewing someone who is connected but has no significant reason to carry, but if they can slip thise people in with a "review" instresd of a hearing it could just slip under the radar

Jimboy

Jimboy
    Patriot Picket
    Jul 8, 2015
    From frying pan to Fire
    Gents I apologize in advance for my possible improper use of the forum since I am a newbie, but I posted yesterday on a similar thread that I have been denied, and have sent in the form requesting an informal review.
    Also, following advice in this forum, I requested from the trooper who signed my denial letter, to forward to me the info that was in my MSP file.
    He refused after checking with his MSP legal counsel. They will only send me another copy of the application I had submitted. Not sure if it takes a subpoena or a FOIA request to break that info loose, but it would sure be handy to have to prep for the informal review.
    I then called Gov. Hogan's office today and got a complete run-around by his aide. No support whatsoever.
    It's been a bad day but I'm still gonna pursue all avenues!
    Thanks,
    Jimboy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom