Montgomery County data shows ongoing major challenges with police staffing, recruitment

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Our County Executive and almost all of the Council Members do not give a crap. The only 2 that I have interacted with who may care a little, are Balcombe and Luedtke. Neither has any sway over the other CMs

Luedtke's husband is the Chief Legislative Officer for the MD Governor.

OH, and the MCPD staffing....... here is the latest
    Here's the link to it: https://montgomerycountymd.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=169&event_id=16095&meta_id=173983

A trove of data on total disaster.

Page 12:

30X30 Initiative: The department is also a signatory on the 30X30 initiative, to ensure that at least 30% of sworn Officers are women. Right now, about 21% of sworn Officers are women. This is up from 18% in 2017.

The department is shrinking and becoming more female. Great.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    ****Those number above cannot be right! 4 officers per 100k? You must mean 10k, or some other much lower number like 1000.

With 1.1 million residents that’s only 41 officers for 1.1 million people!
    Yes, 1,000! My apologies, good catch!!! I went to school in monkey county, I'm doing the best I can with that racist math!!!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Generally, no...

But let me tell you, I have worked with some fantastic female officers. I'm a big guy, I can handle myself. I've still been scared many times as I approach a car or a door, and I can (out at least used to be able to...) handle my business. I can't imagine the confidence some of these smaller females must have... but most of them have it.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, 10,000! My apologies, good catch!!!

****No worries, I'm thankful there are LEO's like you on the force. Hopefully, you leave some DNA behind so you can be cloned a few hundred times to make more good police officers/investigators.

God knows we need it here now as MoCo has unquestionably deteriorated in *many* ways in the past 20 years and I honestly do not see it getting better until criminals are held to account, and get swift, certain and severe punishment to the full extent of the law. No question this will require a paradigm shift to how politicians in our county (like Jawando, Mink, Elrich) see law enforcement and their role in helping to keep the peace as well as insuring the average citizen can be safe just moving about in their daily lives trying to make a living and raising families with good values.

I really feel badly when I drive through some formerly nice(ish) neighborhoods and just see litter *everywhere*, homes in disrepair, bars over windows, and people just milling about with no discernible means of support smoking weed and/or of school age not in school on a school day just milling about aimlessly. Terrible or missing/broken families and a breakdown in values as opposed to just poverty have caused this.

Below is an old pic from West Baltimore - perhaps the 1950's. Even poor/working class people with not much money took pride in their homes, took care of them, maintained them, and raised families. Poverty isn't the singular reason we see the dysfunction we see in today's society.

A functional society can only function well with a functioning family unit.

penrose.jpg

what-causes-poverty-nothing-its-the-original-state-the-default-38565546-2350916261.png

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I really feel badly when I drive through some formerly nice(ish) neighborhoods and just see litter *everywhere*, homes in disrepair, bars over windows, and people just milling about with no discernible means of support smoking weed and/or of school age not in school on a school day just milling about aimlessly. Terrible or missing/broken families and a breakdown in values as opposed to just poverty have caused this.
    This is the house & corner market my father, 10 siblings, mom, dad and babcia all lived. It was clean and filled with joy.

(Polish "Library" is still across the street. St. Hedwigs is still around the corner. The rest is a sad ghetto.)

501SVanBuren.jpg

@delaware_export

Not as sad as Lancaster Avenue. That was a sh!thole 40+ years ago.

Last edited:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    ****No worries, I'm thankful there are LEO's like you on the force. Hopefully, you leave some DNA behind so you can be cloned a few hundred times to make more good police officers/investigators.

I certainly appreciate your kind words, but I can assure you that there are thankfully much better cops out there than me. My attitude is admittedly poor. My level of caring has plummeted in the past 10 years or so. I can see it in the quality of my work. I still try to work hard and ensure that I can hold my head high and sleep comfortably at night... but I certainly don't give the level of effort that I did back then. I used to take my work a lot more personal, I tried to save everyone, I tried to fix all the problems. I lost a lot of sleep and sacrificed my personal and family time to answer the phone calls from my victims on my days off.

Now I do my job, make sure that completed everything that I need to complete and move on.
    If the States Attorney craps out on a case... I shake my head and get annoyed, but move on.
    If a judge makes a wrong decision and denies a search warrant because they are applying the wrong ruling to my circumstances, I complain to my boss, but move on.
    If my victim doesn't cooperate, I don't try to assuage their concerns or convince them to reconsider, I close the case out and move on.

Back when I worked rape cases, I was trying to change the world. Now I'm trying to make it to retirement. That's the wrong attitude. I know it is. I wish I had a better attitude, but after 22 years I just can't make myself care anymore. I have my work ethic, I still want to help people... but I'm worn out and tired of feeling like Sisyphus. I do everything that is required, then I move on.

I hope that something drastic changes in MCPD and they somehow fix all that ails this county. I won't be around to see it though. 839 days left (recently found out that I have to work through June 2026, as opposed to retire June 1... that's another reason for my grumpy attitude, but that's a rant for another day!).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There may or may not be a couple folks from Ridgely looking for jobs in law enforcement...:innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I certainly appreciate your kind words, but I can assure you that there are thankfully much better cops out there than me. My attitude is admittedly poor. My level of caring has plummeted in the past 10 years or so. I can see it in the quality of my work. I still try to work hard and ensure that I can hold my head high and sleep comfortably at night... but I certainly don't give the level of effort that I did back then. I used to take my work a lot more personal, I tried to save everyone, I tried to fix all the problems. I lost a lot of sleep and sacrificed my personal and family time to answer the phone calls from my victims on my days off.

Now I do my job, make sure that completed everything that I need to complete and move on.
    If the States Attorney craps out on a case... I shake my head and get annoyed, but move on.
    If a judge makes a wrong decision and denies a search warrant because they are applying the wrong ruling to my circumstances, I complain to my boss, but move on.
    If my victim doesn't cooperate, I don't try to assuage their concerns or convince them to reconsider, I close the case out and move on.

Back when I worked rape cases, I was trying to change the world. Now I'm trying to make it to retirement. That's the wrong attitude. I know it is. I wish I had a better attitude, but after 22 years I just can't make myself care anymore. I have my work ethic, I still want to help people... but I'm worn out and tired of feeling like Sisyphus. I do everything that is required, then I move on.

I hope that something drastic changes in MCPD and they somehow fix all that ails this county. I won't be around to see it though. 839 days left (recently found out that I have to work through June 2026, as opposed to retire June 1... that's another reason for my grumpy attitude, but that's a rant for another day!).

Short-timer's disease is a real thing. Every morning, pray you make it through the day. Every evening, pray to give thanks for surviving(literally for some, figuratively for others).

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Short-timer's disease is a real thing. Every morning, pray you make it through the day. Every evening, pray to give thanks for surviving(literally for some, figuratively for others).
    Thankfully I'm not out on the street anymore, so I'm able to stay pretty safe. I certainly pray every morning and give thanks every night though!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    X number of officers per 1000?

IACP says it's a myth! It's not their standard! Perish the thought!
    And that was back in 2014, when You Know Who was busily race-baiting . . .

Below is an extract from this link:

Data reported by law enforcement agencies to the FBI depict a wide variation in the size of departments. Washington, D.C., for instance, maintains by far the largest police presence of any city, with about 57 officers for every 10,000 residents. Not too far behind is the Wilmington, Del., Police Department, employing approximately 43 officers for every 10,000 residents. Those numbers seem big when compared with a place like San Jose, Calif., which has only 9 officers per 10,000 people.

In general, the largest cities have a greater presence of police officers than smaller and mid-sized jurisdictions. On average, all localities with populations of at least 50,000 employed 16.6 officers and 21.4 total personnel for every 10,000 residents in 2015, according to the FBI data.

Jurisdiction PopulationAverage Total Personnel Per 10k PopulationAverage Officers Per 10k PopulationNumber of Agencies
    50,000-100,00020.415.9419
    100,000-200,00021.016.1165
    200,000-500,00024.418.673
    500,000+29.823.733
    All Departments21.416.6690
    SOURCE: Governing calculations of 2015 FBI UCR data for cities of populations exceeding 50,000.
    While the FBI data is useful for comparing cities, it doesn't tell us how many police officers a department needs. In fact, there's no national standard for how many police officers cities should have per capita.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom