Montgomery County data shows ongoing major challenges with police staffing, recruitment

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

County data shows ongoing major challenges with police staffing, recruitment

Check out this Report (.PDF): https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/council/Resources/Files/agenda/cm/2023/20230213/20230213_PS4.pdf

Staffing Summary
    • Resignations and retirements increased 64% in 2022.
    • The sworn vacancy rate is 10%, with 129 vacancies out of 1,281 authorized positions.
    • The civilian professional staff vacancy rate is 18%, with 136 vacancies out of 763 authorized positions.
    • More than 30% of sworn officers are eligible for some type of retirement.
    • The 911 Emergency Communication Center (ECC) has a 36% vacancy rate.
    • Recruitment applications have fallen 38% since 2017 and continues to lag behind staffing needs.
    • There are operational impacts in several areas due to understaffing.

There’s so much bad news for MoCo PD (and residents) in this Report that it’s astounding.

For FY23, MCPD has an authorized sworn complement of 1,281 officers. This number reflects 1.2 officers per 1,000 residents. It is significantly lower than the average 2.8 officers per capita reported for counties, and the 2.5 officers per capita reported for suburban areas.

However, as you can see, the MoCo Police Department isn’t even close to its authorized staffing level on which this is based, so this ratio disparity vs other areas is even greater.

If the Department cannot improve hiring and retention rates, it faces a staffing shortage of up to 229 positions by the end of calendar 2025.

Look at the Average Call Response Time now… 9.2 Minutes, up 44 seconds from last year. JFC…

Last edited:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    And upper management and the county council have zero urgency about it.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Who in their right mind would choose to start a career in law enforcement in today's environment nor do I blame those that are retiring as soon as possible.

My neighbor's kid had 5 years on the job and just quit a local county sheriff's office. Said he was tired of dealing with people who have no respect for themselves or others.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    And upper management and the county council have zero urgency about it.
    Is it because they hate the police?

I’m sure they all have “choose civility” stickers on their hybrids, not understanding that people are NOT civil. People are hyenas.

rrrenyer071

MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2020
    University Park, MD
    In today’s climate I can totally understand current LE are retiring and why the hell would anyone want to be a cop in today’s environment? It’s a lose lose situation.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    In calendar 2021, the Department lost 90 officers - from 33 resignations, 55 retirements, one termination, and one death. In calendar 2022, that increased to 144, with 89 resignations and 55 retirements. MCPD’s sworn turnover rate increased from about 7% in 2021 to about 12% in 2022.

For those that prefer hard numbers instead of statistics.

I remember about 15 years ago that my brother did a ride along and the officer told him that the night duty was two officers for the entire White Oak area. Not sure how big the patrol area extended, but I was shocked at how low the number was. That being said it seemed to work well for the time. Crime wasn't crazy, but there has definitely been a cultural shift that people now have no respect for officers or their fellow man.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Based on the numbers it doesn't seem to be a retirement issue but rather an issue of people resigning. Based on the sample of cops around me, that seems to be mostly related to a better job opening up. Around DC that is often fed. Why deal with drunks and abusers if you can get a paycheck at the 'Bureau of Printing and Engraving SWAT' or the 'Bureau of Misc Federal Services Inspector General'.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I believe MOCO
    hates the police as much as they do legal ccw’ers so why would any new officers want to fill spots there?

Heck, soon the liberal utopia of MOCO will be crime free anyway, correct?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    You reap what you sow! Screw the libtards in Montgomery county! You created this, now live with it!
    I'm sure the rich in Chevy Chase, Bethesda, and Potomac won't experience any reduction in police services.

It'll be all the up-county folks that will never see another responding officer again.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I expect that it's much more lucrative and socially acceptable to be a private armed bodyguard for a politician or high tech executive, than it is to be a sworn police officer to protect the public from the other criminals.

There goes the nation.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Yeah well there are quite a few that did not create it. :wave:

Edit: Somewhat unfortunately, the only way out is to get out.
    Sorry for you, my family moved out of Montgomery co. in 1980 and are so glad they did. Only way out is to move or start taking back control of the county thru elections..LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom