• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    There is no requirement to notify LE that you A) have a permit and B) have a firearm on your person during a traffic stop.

What if the cop asks you? Both my wife and I have been asked on separate occasions. How would you answer if carrying?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What if the cop asks you? Both my wife and I have been asked on separate occasions. How would you answer if carrying?

Depends on which state you are in. In MD there is no notice to inform. In Ohio you must tell the LEO immediately.

The direct answer to your question is like a good adult diaper, depends.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Depends on which state you are in. In MD there is no notice to inform. In Ohio you must tell the LEO immediately.

The direct answer to your question is like a good adult diaper, depends.

He didn't ask about voluntarily telling a cop you have a weapon. That would be informing. "By the way Officer, before you get started, I am armed".

It's a simple yes or no question if a cop asks if you have any weapons in the car. So then what? Play the semantics game? "Am I being detained?" nonsense?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    He didn't ask about voluntarily telling a cop you have a weapon. That would be informing. "By the way Officer, before you get started, I am armed".

It's a simple yes or no question if a cop asks if you have any weapons in the car. So then what? Play the semantics game? "Am I being detained?" nonsense?

I'm aware of the context of the query. My answer remains the same.

If I get pulled over for doing 41 in a 30 zone and the first words I hear are "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?" instead of "License and registration please." I will probably figure he's on a fishing expedition and my answer would vary depending on the amount of time I had before I needed to be at my destination.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm aware of the context of the query. My answer remains the same.

If I get pulled over for doing 41 in a 30 zone and the first words I hear are "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?" instead of "License and registration please." I will probably figure he's on a fishing expedition and my answer would vary depending on the amount of time I had before I needed to be at my destination.

For?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Ever been asked that? As, a concealed carry permit holder if armed I hand permit with license and registration and tell leo I am armed. First option of courss is to observe all traffic laws especially when armed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    bottom line, don't lie to cops.

you may beat the rap, but not the ride

It's why the no duty to inform is :rolleyes:

I rolled through a stop sign and was pulled over in Maryland. Cop asked me if I had any weapons. I could honestly answer no, so did. If I had been carrying, I'd rather not get in to that can of worms in Maryland.

My wife was pulled over in Virginia, and cop specifically asked if she was carrying a gun. She answered no, then asked why he asked. He said because of the Glock decal on window. (It was a small one at that) It was immediately removed when she told me that story.

I know Live PD is a TV show.. However, very very often on traffic stops you hear officers asking the question. You are not kidding, don't lie. Seen the consequences on that show..

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You have had cop ask you if you were carrying a gun?

"There is nothing illegal in the car officer", repeated in perpetuity. Ask me again I'll tell you the same. Unless in a state where notification is required. Obviously it does not apply in Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only problem with that is a cop can tell a judge what you said and it might be considered evasiveness and PC for a warrant or even more scrutiny.

just musings however

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The only problem with that is a cop can tell a judge what you said and it might be considered evasiveness and PC for a warrant or even more scrutiny.

just musings however

Beginning to understand why "no duty to inform" is moot if asked? All a cop needs to do to search you/your car is say "The dog showed an alert". Who is gonna try to sue the dog for getting it wrong? The excuse then is, "Well maybe your car was parked next to pot smokers"

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I am not trying to be difficult, but rather I would like to learn. If you are a legal CCW holder, why would you not want to inform the LEO, if you are stopped, that you are carrying?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

just musings however
    I will gladly wait for the warrant just to prove that, once again there is nothing illegal in the car officer.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I am not trying to be difficult, but rather I would like to learn. If you are a legal CCW holder, why would you not want to inform the LEO, if you are stopped, that you are carrying?

In Maryland? Because most of us that have MD permits contain ambiguous restrictions. Being cuffed, locked up before being exonerated is not a myth here.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Why unnecessarily escalate an otherwise routine encounter? When you get drawn on once after notifying an officer you will rethink it. Been there, done that 20 years ago. No notification from me unless required by law.
    Nah, ego comes into play when you ask the officer for directions and you say, "by the way I am carrying with my shiny new handgun permit".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom