• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    I wrote this to the senate judiciary committee and called my delegates, senator, and Delegate Dwyer's office...

I attended last night's (1/31) Town Hall meeting on the Governor's Public Safety initiatives sponsored by Lieutenant Governor Brown and wanted to take this opportunity to share with you some of my observations.

I am veteran, serving for over 20 years as a combat arms officer in the U.S. Army. I am the former Unit Chief of the FBI's Critical Mission Assurance Unit, the entity that manages the continuity and emergency management functions for the entire Bureau. I am now detailed to the DoD working the same programs for the U.S. Intelligence Community. My job is to understand the threats, hazards, and impacts of complex catastrophic emergencies and the corresponding capabilities of our local, state, and federal government to respond to and recover from these type events.

Although highly encouraged hearing about the State's efforts in strengthening school security and mental health services, I was shocked and appalled at the lack of understanding that our Lt. Governor and Superintendent of the Maryland State Police had in regards to the Governor's Public Safety initiatives regarding firearms. None of the panelists, to include the Lt. Governor could articulate why these legislative proposals were focused on so called "assault weapons" rather that the illegal use of handguns, which according to 2011 FBI statistics, account for over 96% of shootings and are (mis)used in less that 1% of shooting incidents. None of the panelist could explain the logic behind the legislation. They could only parrot that this legislation will not affect handgun and long rifle (hunting) firearms our of "respect" for Maryland's hunting and sporting communities.

More appalling was MSP Superintendent Marcus Brown's attempts to define what is an "assault weapon" under this legislative proposal Twice, even after being challenged the first time, he described attributes and feature of FULLY AUTOMATIC firearms, speaking about "select fire" and "burst fire" capabilities, even going as far as describing how fully automatic firearms operate. None of the panelist could articulate why certain features were being attributed to assault weapons. When asked why a telescoping stock, which serves the same analogous function as the ability to adjust a car seat to accommodate a driver's physical ability to more safely operate the vehicle, was going to be a ban feature, they could not reply.

When asked about the transportation provisions, and how it would prohibit a law abiding citizen from transporting his lawfully owned firearm over state lines to a friend/family/range/competition/hunting event across state lines and be able to legally return to the State, the Lt. Governor had no answer and stated that he would "look into it." A question that was not able to be asked due to time limitations was how a resident military member who PCS's out of state on military orders with his personally owned firearms could legally return with his/her personal property after completion of the assignment.

I personally and professionally oppose this legislation (SB 281) as overly broad, technically flawed, disenfranchising, and not legislatively focused to address the root causes of violence in our communities (poverty, lack of educational and economic opportunities, and the violent economics of the illegal drug trade). I also feel that it directly infringes on my 2A rights and ability to fully defend myself in a catastrophic incident where the government and police are not available to protect me, my family, or my community. (See Hurricanes Katrina/Sandy and the LA riots). That said, the complete inability of our political leadership and senior law enforcement professionals to comprehensively understand and fully articulate and justify the legislation that they authored and support, specifically legislation that has Constitutional rights implications, was absolutely appalling.

Based on last nights results, it is my firm opinion that the majority of this legislation is nothing more than political theater and an opportunity for some politicians to posture themselves on issues for the 2016 election cycle. The panel could not and did not justify its position and proposals. It is my fear that we will be stuck with some feel good legislation that does little to solve the violence. When this comes true, this legislation will only serve as the starting point to further restrict our rights and abilities to defend ourselves and our families, now and in the future.

With the exception of strengthening mental health services and reporting, I ask you to oppose this legislation. I also ask that you also call Colonel Brown to task. As the State's senior law enforcement professional his total lack of understanding of the legislative details of a bill that the MSP is suppose to implement and the difference between NFA automatic and semi-automatic firearms is shameful.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Well, since she's with the Times, maybe someone should send her an email to make an appearance at the Rockville meeting!

I have been in contact w/ her via twitter and she said she will be writing on the topic. My guess is she will attend the hearing next week (especially of Obozo shows up).

I sent her a link to when the next one is in PG county.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I wrote this to the senate judiciary committee and called my delegates, senator, and Delegate Dwyer's office...

She should now know when the next one in (since it is even closer to her) from her twitter.

You should post your letter on Emily's Facebook page. She will take notice and it should get some good attention from those who follow her.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    On straw purchasing, it seems to be common myth that straw purchases are relatively common, and this is the argument that was presented to require fingerprinting at the town hall. I found this on smartgunlaws.org:

New York City officials recently conducted their own investigation at gun shows across the U.S. to test whether, among other things, FFLs would sell to someone who appeared to be a straw purchaser.11 New York’s investigation found that 16 out of 17 (or 94% of) FFLs approached by investigators willingly sold to an apparent straw purchaser.

Is this true? I think that if we have reliable facts to refute this, we can reject the push for fingerprinting proposed in SB281.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Even if it was true how is it going to stop straw purchasing? What does it matter if the straw purchaser shows the dealer his fingerprints, Photo ID, or 10 proofs of purchase from a wheaties box?

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Great job on the write ups to occbrian and Cogcon.

There is something I would like to see addressed. The deaths/murders by long guns in Maryland has been 2 to 3 per year. I believe at least one of these was a self defense shooting in 2011, where a homeowner shot someone who was breaking into his house. I believe there was another one in PG county where a homeowner shot an intruder. These were long guns, but there was no reference to the type of long gun. I would not be surprised if more of the others were also home defense shootings.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    The panel presented it as a fact that fingerprinting reduces straw purchases. I'd like to refute this. Maybe I'm being a worry wart, but I am afraid that if this is not refuted, we will end up with dirty fingers in the future.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Just found out my wife's family friend was ther and will be in Annapolis on the 6th. Col. From army. His dad was ww2 vet with my wife gf. :)

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    My read from this is that this panel went like the first prez debate. What we learned from that debate is not to set back and hope momentum carries us through the finish line. Everyone still needs to contact everyone in their rolodex (you know what I mean) and tell them about the bill and the town halls. Don't think they will go to a 12+ hour event unless very passionate about 2A, but might go to a 2 hour evening meeting.

If your sphere of influence isn't talking to you about 2A bill then they don't know or don't care. Bring them aboard.

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    ...it seems like their real priority is licensing. Which, from what Brochin said, seems to be the portion with the least support.

I was there last night and I too went up to Dr. Demarco to get the source of his stats on "states that have licensing and fingerprinting have less gun crime". They kept using the 30K gun deaths each year which according to CDC includes almost 20K suicides. I wasn't able to ask a question on that.

Anyway, as I approached Dr. Demarco, he was surrounded by his gun control activists and I heard him confirm your suspicion. To paraphrase him responding to one of his collaborators "...yeah as long as we get licensing and fingerprinting, I'm happy....".

My impressions of the MSP Col. was that he was in a bad place. I thanked him for his service, told him I respectfully disagreed, and he thanked me for understanding that law enforcement was in a tough place in the debate. I think having his boss' right hand man there meant he really couldn't speak his mind. Just guessing though. Upshot is I think a lot of law enforcement support us.

I too was pleasantly surprised by those who were in support of our position. If it were me and I was the Lt. Gov and his panel, I'd be using what I learned in Baltimore to prep for the next two meetings. That's where I'd have friendly media to prove we didn't know what we were talking about and have more coherent messages. The 6th is where we're likely to be the weakest since we'll have some of our leadership in Annapolis during the hearing. If AW ban is a red herring than they'll slam home their point while we're distracted. Just my $0.02....

I'm guessing The Sun was there. Did anyone see anything in the paper today about the meeting?

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    Also, I wouldn't hand out any information. It will only give them time to formulate a response before the hearing.

I just did a non-scientific poll of my office. Not a single employee could tell me what an assault weapon is. I told them and they were shocked.

Our primary weapon is education.

Had the same thing happen to me last week. Old friend who owns guns his father gave to him asked why we needed guns that can mow down little kids like in the movies. Once I set him straight, I could see the wheels turning. We need to get this info out to the rest of the general public.

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    Why is there no news coverage on this? Everything about these town halls screamed liberal cheerleading, why would there be no news coverage at all to show how charged up people are about gun-control?

I am more skeptical than ever now, we need to dig deep into other the bills that are out and get busy contacting our legislators about them individually. I feel like we're being set up for "After overwhelming opposition on SB281 we have decided against it but since not many seem to oppose our other bills we have voted them into law"

I'm with you. I'm thinking there's something else that we're missing here. Fingerprinting? Licensing? Dr. Demarco admitted as much to one of his gun control cohorts after the meeting.

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    Even if it was true how is it going to stop straw purchasing? What does it matter if the straw purchaser shows the dealer his fingerprints, Photo ID, or 10 proofs of purchase from a wheaties box?

According to Dr. Demarco, those states that have licensing and fingerprinting have dramatically less gun crime and deaths.

Your arguing against a Dr. from Hopkins. We need to look at his sources or call them suspect. Maybe someone that goes to the meeting on the 5th can ask him publicly what his sources are for this statement.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I'd invite anyone that thinks we shouldn't have guns to live in my old hood at east fayette and conkling. Or take a walk around my old school on liberty heights.

All I gotta say is remember Zach Sowers. He should've been a DGU. An honest citizen murdered by thugs, and not one of these ahole politicians care about us. Must be nice to live in gated communities in Roland Park and Bethesda. But most of us can't afford that. So we're stuck being at risk of being killed by the same people they let out of jail multiple times.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    I asked Vincent DeMarco what his source was, and he gave me the graphic that has been posted. I am afraid that his source is not substantial, but as Nikon said, you can't argue against an "accepted expert" without facts. I suppose the only factual evidence on this would be compiled by police departments in major cities.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You can always argue against unproven "Facts" with other unproven "Facts" of your own because to expose the weakness of your argument calls their own into question.

To prove "Straw" purchasers are not a problem look to the number of people convicted of being a straw purchaser. I'll bet after lack of prosecution and plea bargains the number of convictions is miniscule so by saying in Maryland in the last ten years there have only been (?) people convicted of straw purchasing yet during the same period there were (???,???) guns sold. Need to find some numbers and be as limited and selective in cherry picking them as they are.

Other good numbers:
    How many times a gun stops a crime.

The number of homicides contrasted with accidental shootings, and justifiable shootings. Don't fall into the "Total Gun Deaths" trap, if a police officer shoots a criminal that is a "Gun Death" but is Justified. Ask for a breakdown of the total and have the numbers yourself so you can say "Of those gun deaths XX were police officers defending them selves should we limit the police? And XX were citizens protecting them selves and their families while waiting for the police to arrive should we take their guns away?".

Be armed with number of suicides from other causes to show people will kill themselves even if they can't access a gun.

Blacksmith101

Last edited:

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    I was there last night and I too went up to Dr. Demarco to get the source of his stats on "states that have licensing and fingerprinting have less gun crime". They kept using the 30K gun deaths each year which according to CDC includes almost 20K suicides. I wasn't able to ask a question on that.

I know I've read the 30,000 number somewhere before. it may have been in a CDC report or just a random article somewhere, but you're correct — that's not gun murders, it's total gun deaths (murder, suicide, accidents, justifiable homicide).

For clarity, the FBI's 2011 crime report shows the total gun murders. Here's the section of the report (Expanded Homicide Data Table 8) that shows the breakdown of murders by type of weapon, from years 2007-20011.

TOTAL FIREARM MURDERS
    2007: 10,129
    2008: 9,528
    2009: 9,199
    2010: 8,874
    2011: 8,583

That guy's whole argument seemed to be that fingerprinting and registration would intimidate people, which would lead to fewer people buying guns. Even if he actually has stats that could back that up, it screams second amendment violation to me. It's not okay to intimidate citizens into not voting and it's not okay to intimidate people into not keeping and bearing arms.

According to Dr. Demarco, those states that have licensing and fingerprinting have dramatically less gun crime and deaths.

Your arguing against a Dr. from Hopkins. We need to look at his sources or call them suspect. Maybe someone that goes to the meeting on the 5th can ask him publicly what his sources are for this statement.

I asked Vincent DeMarco what his source was, and he gave me the graphic that has been posted. I am afraid that his source is not substantial, but as Nikon said, you can't argue against an "accepted expert" without facts. I suppose the only factual evidence on this would be compiled by police departments in major cities.

If you feel like doing lots of math, you can check his claim by calculating firearm murder rates for each state and comparing them:

(Gun Murders ÷ Population) x 100,000 = rate of gun murder per 100,000 people

^I think I did that right. :P

Wikipedia - Population of each state

FBI Crime Report - Number of firearm murders in each state

Here's two I did to get you started if you're interested:

Maryland: 4.6 gun murders per 100,000 people
    New York: 2.3 gun murders per 100,000 people

The population numbers are from 2010 and the gun murder numbers are from 2011, so it's not perfect, but it's close enough for analysis. The guy didn't seem like an idiot, so his claims are probably true. It's still just a statistic, though. Numbers don't lie, but they aren't sworn to tell the whole truth either. Regardless, I don't think the registration/fingerprinting argument hinges on numbers anyway. It hinges on the question of Constitutionality and on law-abiding citizens refusal to be treated like criminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom