• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Occbrian, I also wanted to thank you for your efforts yesterday. Your write-up was concise and very much appreciated. It was refreshing to hear the play by play as well as the outcome.

I know a lot of people on here said thanks or mentioned me in particular, so I just wanted to acknowledge that in one post. You're welcome. Thank you. Don't mention it!

I'm glad that I was able to contribute to the cause. There were plenty of other folks who did the same and many members of the forum posted updates and reviews as well. My only regret is that I (any NUMEROUS others) didn't have a chance to speak. But I'll have my day on February 6th.

I'm sorry the writeup wasn't as detailed as it should be and was filled with typo's. next time I'll take notes at the town hall and write it up on my laptop, instead of my phone. ;) Maybe even record audio. ugh... hindsight.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

I will be at the PG meeting as well. Has anyone else noticed that the Montgomery meeting is the same day as the hearings? I think they may be hoping that all the gun owners go to Annapolis so they have the run of their meeting and use it as a way to show they have support for the bill. Maybe my tinfoil is on a little to tight.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I will be at the PG meeting as well. Has anyone else noticed that the Montgomery meeting is the same day as the hearings? I think they may be hoping that all the gun owners go to Annapolis so they have the run of their meeting and use it as a way to show they have support for the bill. Maybe my tinfoil is on a little to tight.

Nope its what I was thinking ... they are going to use that town hall for the media since they know we will all be in Annapolis. We just need to make sure people who cant make Annapolis are going to be in Rockville

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    This thread has been the highlight of my day. Big thanks to those who attended and to those who have shared what transpired.

I was bummed to learn that I will not be able to attend the hearing on Feb 6 due to work, but this thread reminded me that I can make the Town Hall in Rockville that night. I just RSVPd and will do my best to support the cause while everyone is down in Annapolis.

Thanks,

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Just got off the phones with Nancy Jacob's office to tell them about our dear Colonel. She was shocked. Is going to give that information to the senator and the person they have working on press information.

Said this is a blatant lie and couldn't believe that the Lt. Gov or anyone else didn't correct them. She said I will likely get a call back. I may be reaching out to some of you that were in attendance if they want to verify my story.

ALSO... she told me that there is a rumor going around that Obama is coming down to Annapolis next week. Just a rumor she said.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I think that we should present the panel members with a polished handout that dispels all of their statistics, feel good ideas, etc.

Also, I would agree with another post that I read, that licensing is their holy grail. I think they are honestly trying to solve the problem of straw purchases getting guns into the wrong hands. If we could present a way to fight this problem without infringing on our rights, it might help.

Also, we might want to have handouts for the audience members, at a minimum give them a link that shows them the real facts.

Someone find the statistics presented in the U.S. Senate hearing by Senator Cruz I believe.
    "There was 70,000 attempts at straw purchasing last year and you only attempted to prosecute 64 cases? So that is 70,000 cases of, you know the straw purchaser and was arrested. However you only attempted to prosecute 64 cases."

Seems like fingerprinting is not necessary. Seems like prosecution is.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Ahhhhh...the power of twitter.

Does anyone know if the pictures of the survey and the handout, if either of those are available from the Admin online?

Emily Miller received a copy from me this morning (thanks OCC! I also suggested that she contact you since you were there and had an excellent write up).

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The problem with these people is you can show them all the stats you want that shows guns are frequently used for justifiable self defense and they just go to MS Excel and bastardize it using the 'chart' feature.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I may be reaching out to some of you that were in attendance if they wan't to verify my story

You can count on me.

That statement is the Achilles Heel, I don't believe it was a gaffe — he meant it, and collectively reveals the true intent of the legislation.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    ALSO... she told me that there is a rumor going around that Obama is coming down to Annapolis next week. Just a rumor she said.

Uh oh, that wouldn't be good. Enhanced security would negate the rally.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    My letter to the entire legislature:

Good Morning Delegate,

I have previously written you in regards to legislation that will restrict a law abiding citizen's ability to purchase certain firearms. I attended last night's Town Hall in Baltimore where Lt. Governor Anthony Brown and Col. Marcus Brown of the Maryland State Police were in attendance as panel members.

The first question, posed by an African American woman from Baltimore, stated that she used an AR-15 rifle to hunt deer (which is legal in certain counties in Maryland) and she wanted to know if the proposed legislation would have any affect on weapons such as this. According to SB-281, as written, hunting firearms such as the AR-15 are specifically singled out as being prohibited. To my amazement, Col. Brown stated that the proposed Assault Weapon Ban (SB-281) would apply only to "fully automatic and burst weapons that spray bullets" and not guns such as her AR-15.

If not even Col. Brown understands this legislation then it must be flawed and defy common sense, as Col. Brown should be regarded as an expert by his rank of Colonel in the Maryland State Police, yet he fails to understand to which firearms this legilsation applies. I find it difficult to have a meaningful discussion with our leaders if they have absolutely no comprehension of the proposed legislation. Col. Brown used common sense and thought this legislation only applies to true "assault rifles" that are fully automatic.

I ask that you please vote against the proposed assault weapon ban, against the "high capacity" magazine ban, against insurance requirements for those who own firearms, against the concealed carry restrictions, against and for mental health reform, for allowing teachers to carry firearms in schools if approved by the school board and for harsher penalties for criminals who use firearms in crimes.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    Why is there no news coverage on this? Everything about these town halls screamed liberal cheerleading, why would there be no news coverage at all to show how charged up people are about gun-control?

I am more skeptical than ever now, we need to dig deep into other the bills that are out and get busy contacting our legislators about them individually. I feel like we're being set up for "After overwhelming opposition on SB281 we have decided against it but since not many seem to oppose our other bills we have voted them into law"

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    As I said before, AWB Federally is dead (not even Reid supports it), even SB281 is just too crazy to pass. But I am afraid that everyone is focusing on that one and that they literally push new bills everyday, back stacking SB281. Basically achieving SB281 with twenty other bills. How long is the list of new anti gun bills just for this session alone so far?

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    even SB281 is just too crazy to pass. But I am afraid that everyone is focusing on that one and that they literally push new bills everyday, back stacking SB281. Basically achieving SB281 with twenty other bills. How long is the list of new anti gun bills just for this session alone so far?

Obama is showing up on Feb 6th......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom