• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Beautiful Nambu rig!!! I agree holster looks good - may even be the original one issued with your gun...I can see what looks to be a "六" stamped on the inside lid (kanji for "6") and if I had to guess I bet that's part of a faded "十六 昭" stamp for Showa 16, same as your Nambu.

Here's a better look at the markings that are visible inside the holster flap. What do you think?

Attachments

• holster_flap.jpg
      holster_flap.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 402

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Beautiful Nambu rig!!! I agree holster looks good - may even be the original one issued with your gun...I can see what looks to be a "六" stamped on the inside lid (kanji for "6") and if I had to guess I bet that's part of a faded "十六 昭" stamp for Showa 16, same as your Nambu.

I have circled what appears, to me at least, to be the 昭

Attachments

• holster_flap.jpg
      holster_flap.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 399

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Great info from both 6pack and Abulg1972, stacked cannonballs either means Tokyo or Kokura arsenal depending on date, and I agree with Abulg1972 on the Showa mark. Not seeing the "10" kanji but could still be there and just faded, but appears to be either Showa 6 (1931) or Showa 16 (1941) if the other kanji has faded. There are a ton of T14 holster variations and I'm FAR from an expert but some of the features on it could help narrow down the date. Check out http://members.shaw.ca/tju/t14accessories.htm to see what variation it falls under based on the features and some quick googling should be able to determine if it's 6 or 16 based on which variation it is and the associated production timeframes.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Just picked this one up this morning, won it on GB last night and conveniently the seller lives about 5 min from me in Alexandria, VA. All matching, very nice condition and hard to find Arisaka Type 99 'Long' rifle, Nagoya Arsenal. All screws are still staked and it has AA sights in tact as well as an original and correct Nagoya marked long cleaning rod which are pretty hard to find. Only downside is a scrubbed Mum. Wasn't really looking for one of these as I picked one up at a great price last year, but after a few glasses of bourbon last night bidding sounded like a great idea. Glad I did though as it's even better than described an I was able to get it below market value for a nice matching and unmolested Nagoya T99 long.

According to Nagoya Arsenal records it was made around September, 1940 and since it's a fairly early number (1462) it has a mix of Chigusa plant and Toriimatsu plant parts (stock has a Chigusa inspection mark, while my later Nagoya T99 long (2833) does not). Suppose I will have to keep both now since they represent different stages of Nagoya long rifle production :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 345

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Second arrival of the day, also a Gunbroker find. Interesting FN 1922 variation, seems this one doesn't turn up all that often. Wartime Nazi occupation gun, but what makes this one interesting is that is has eagle/swastika test proofs (frame, slide, and barrel) but no waffenamts. Also has a delta/triangle stamp on the rear of the gun, which all examples of this variation seem to have, so the lack of waffenamts is not simply a case of inspector error but instead these clearly had some special destination or purpose. From threads on Gunboards about these though it seems that whatever significance these particular markings had has been lost to time.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
      IMG_1455.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 331
    • IMG_1456.jpg
      IMG_1456.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 335
    • IMG_1457.jpg
      IMG_1457.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 341
    • IMG_1458.jpg
      IMG_1458.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 333
    Jul 1, 2012
    Its a commercial-issue FN 1922 and as such pretty rare.
    Yours appears to be in very good condition too!
    All the commercial guns have a variation of the triangle on the rear.
    There's a couple of cool variations, mixed WaA140 with E/N, E/S etc.
    I still need a Geco or Akah-marked one to fill out the set :)
    I posted some pics of mine way back... I think.

Another interesting note is there are at least two different "triangles" - the one you have and then this one which is "upside down". Not sure if there's any correlation to these and the S/N blocks, or if it's for a specific distributor, or what.

Attachments

• DSCN0955.jpg
      DSCN0955.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 335

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Its a commercial-issue FN 1922 and as such pretty rare.
    Yours appears to be in very good condition too!
    All the commercial guns have a variation of the triangle on the rear.
    There's a couple of cool variations, mixed WaA140 with E/N, E/S etc.
    I still need a Geco or Akah-marked one to fill out the set :)
    I posted some pics of mine way back... I think.

Thanks for the info! I've read about the commercial Eagle/N variety with the delta but didn't know that the test proof only was also a commercial gun. Thanks!

Jul 1, 2012
    Yeah, if you get a chance to pickup Vanderlinden's Browning book he has a couple of pages on these. That book is a good investment at $65 or so.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Second arrival of the day, also a Gunbroker find. Interesting FN 1922 variation, seems this one doesn't turn up all that often. Wartime Nazi occupation gun, but what makes this one interesting is that is has eagle/swastika test proofs (frame, slide, and barrel) but no waffenamts. Also has a delta/triangle stamp on the rear of the gun, which all examples of this variation seem to have, so the lack of waffenamts is not simply a case of inspector error but instead these clearly had some special destination or purpose. From threads on Gunboards about these though it seems that whatever significance these particular markings had has been lost to time.

Sweet! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom