• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Probably an attempt to lighten the stock, if for military use, or to make it heavier (insert lead, or something) for marksmanship use.

Yeah, I saw I think a P under your serial number OldCarJunkie. I think this means this rifle was Privatized (retired from military service and move to Private hands) I have a K 31 which was part of a private series which is a little different in that it was sold straight to Private hands and never saw military service. I believe K11s and such had them too. What I'm getting at is that if it was in private hands for some time, it would certainly help explain some of this stuff. Who knows what Swiss bubba did. Forgive me if this was already noted somewhere.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Is anyone elses like that?

Yeah, all of the Swiss rifle stocks are like that. Here are my two K11s

dc770d159e037cbe7031fb1ae1e80d4c.jpg

51fc9ef5b6e454cdcb631ed221fd5d38.jpg

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, I saw I think a P under your serial number OldCarJunkie. I think this means this rifle was Privatized (retired from military service and move to Private hands) I have a K 31 which was part of a private series which is a little different in that it was sold straight to Private hands and never saw military service. I believe K11s and such had them too. What I'm getting at is that if it was in private hands for some time, it would certainly help explain some of this stuff. Forgive me if this was already noted somewhere.

I'd say that most of these were privatized. That wouldn't explain the stock on OCJ's rifle. A private citizen wouldn't have stamped matching numbers in the barrel channels. Plus, that font is Swiss arsenal font. These are from my two G1896/11s

adb8a440e71390da21507cd7cf239b09.jpg

dfa82258ceafea090e64d1c9f8060ca0.jpg

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Is it unusual to not have a import for these? Since it was into private hands and since the gentleman who had it I assume had passed(since they sold everything including car), Maybe even possible it came with him??
    If anyone know hows to look up the owners name the address was 700 Fernhill Rd

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Is it unusual to not have a import for these? Since it was into private hands and since the gentleman who had it I assume had passed(since they sold everything including car), Maybe even possible it came with him??
    If anyone know hows to look up the owners name the address was 700 Fernhill Rd

Most I've seen have been import marked. My G1889, G1896/11 and two G1911s do not, but my two K11s and K31 do. I sold a G1896/11 that had an import mark.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    "I will not get started collecting Japanese firearms!"

Well ... I was Master of My Domain for years, but I just had to have this one. I've read too much about the history during the time and place where this one was taken, presumably from a fellow who no longer had need of it.

The best that I can tell, the bring-back documentation is legit. There was no mention by the seller about this, but my research reveals that the guy who brought it back was awarded the Silver Star. I think the holster is also correct and original, but I'll have to dig into that further. It was brought back by a U.S. officer, and I suspect it was taken from a Japanese non-commissioned officer.

In any case, I liked it enough to pay the price for it. It wasn't cheap, but it seems reasonable to me. Can't wait to fondle it in person.

P.S. - The guy in the last photo followed into Leyte the unit containing the fellow who brought this one back ... after things calmed down just a little (not much)! This gun was obtained during the re-taking of the Philippines.

Attachments

• pix077751848.jpg
      pix077751848.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 150
    • pix483423100.jpg
      pix483423100.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 166
    • pix038199487.jpg
      pix038199487.jpg
      35.9 KB · Views: 156
    • pix216280246.jpg
      pix216280246.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 163
    • Douglas_MacArthur_lands_Leyte1.jpg
      Douglas_MacArthur_lands_Leyte1.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 157
    Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    If it's a war-era bring-back paper, and not post-war that's pretty daggone rare.
    Typically typed up on the ship, and not a form letter type deal.
    Just at a glance the holster looks right, when you get it check for the cleaning rod and spare firing pin.
    It's be really awesome if it had 2 matching mags also but that's just greedy :)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    If it's a war-era bring-back paper, and not post-war that's pretty daggone rare.
    Typically typed up on the ship, and not a form letter type deal.
    Just at a glance the holster looks right, when you get it check for the cleaning rod and spare firing pin.
    It's be really awesome if it had 2 matching mags also but that's just greedy :)

Only one magazine, but it's matching.

The bring-back paper is end-of-war. It isn't dated, but it references War Dept. Circular 155 of 1945 (May 28th). It looks like someone copied/typed up the basic format of a form (that they may have been out of), then mimeographed it. The embossed seal on it appears to be in the correct format, and is for headquarters of the unit to which this officer was assigned. I'm doing more research, including looking for info on the authorizing officer and verifying that the ASN on the paper is correct for the former owner, but it looks really good so far.

The gun doesn't look too bad, either. Just enough wear to look like it has "been there and done that".

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    "I will not get started collecting Japanese firearms!"

Well ... I was Master of My Domain for years, but I just had to have this one. I've read too much about the history during the time and place where this one was taken, presumably from a fellow who no longer had need of it.

The best that I can tell, the bring-back documentation is legit. There was no mention by the seller about this, but my research reveals that the guy who brought it back was awarded the Silver Star. [/B] I think the holster is also correct and original, but I'll have to dig into that further. [/B] It was brought back by a U.S. officer, and I suspect it was taken from a Japanese non-commissioned officer.

In any case, I liked it enough to pay the price for it. It wasn't cheap, but it seems reasonable to me. Can't wait to fondle it in person.

P.S. - The guy in the last photo followed into Leyte the unit containing the fellow who brought this one back ... after things calmed down just a little (not much)! This gun was obtained during the re-taking of the Philippines.

Beautiful Nambu rig!!! I agree holster looks good - may even be the original one issued with your gun...I can see what looks to be a "六" stamped on the inside lid (kanji for "6") and if I had to guess I bet that's part of a faded "十六 昭" stamp for Showa 16, same as your Nambu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom