• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Nice CZ you have there, very nice!

I love CZ's, my only gripe about them is the triggers. I can rework them but they are some of the most Pain in the butt triggers to work on.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    How did you break three takedown pins? I need to start getting some spare parts, I know slide stops can wear quickly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Notice anything in the lnk below? Who can come up with it?

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=50698

WHOLESALEHUNTER.com said:
    Cannot Ship to Maryland

Alot of distributors are like that. They are weary about the MD internal lock, and MD fired shell cassing requirement. Some places wont trust a FFL/Manufacturer to fire the shell casing and they arent aware fot the external Omega and Visual Locks that meet MSP regs.

Some places wont ship an AK or AR if it has a 30 round mag originally with the gun, even if we ask they remove it before shipment. :rolleyes:

This makes getting guns a pain, but I think thats exactly why they make these Laws.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...I love CZ's, my only gripe about them is the triggers...
    While they're definitely rough out of the box, and they ARE a huge PIA to work on, the triggers on both of mine have become much smoother after a few hundred rounds. I also took 20 minutes with each gun and R&R'ed the 20# hammer spring to an aftermarket 13# spring and that made a big difference, even after the break-in. I've had zero ignition problems, even using NATO ammo.
    How did you break three takedown pins? I need to start getting some spare parts, I know slide stops can wear quickly.
    The OEM recoil spring should be about 2# heavier on most models, which would prevent the slide stop breakage. The slide stop not only locks back the slide, but also stops rearward overtravel. With too weak a recoil spring, it is battered to the point of eventual breakage. A slightly heavier recoil spring from Wolff and a spare slide stop from CZ-USA are both good ideas.

Note ALSO that when Bill says "thousands", he really means "THOUSANDS", and should probably say "tens of thousands". Bill shoots & trains a lot and has had his CZs for a very long time.
    ....This makes getting guns a pain, but I think thats exactly why they make these Laws.
    You're spot on with the idea behind the law, and it does have nothing to do with crime prevention.

That said, I don't know of any modern CZ handguns that are not available as "Maryland Compliant".

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Alot of distributors are like that. They are weary about the MD internal lock, and MD fired shell cassing requirement. Some places wont trust a FFL/Manufacturer to fire the shell casing and they arent aware fot the external Omega and Visual Locks that meet MSP regs.

Some places wont ship an AK or AR if it has a 30 round mag originally with the gun, even if we ask they remove it before shipment. :rolleyes:

This makes getting guns a pain, but I think thats exactly why they make these Laws.
    You got it!

Your last sentence seems to be on the mark as well.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You got it!

Your last sentence seems to be on the mark as well.
    Not to stir the pot, but since you've made it a point to repeat this, I'd have to respectfully disagree.

They have about every handgun model CZ makes **in stock** at The Gun Rack in Burtonsville, so it IS quite possible to get CZs that ARE Maryland Compliant.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Take apart a Sig210 and CZ-75 side by side and two things jump out at you:

1) Both have full-length rails for the slide to travel on
    2) Both have very low slide mass compared to the weight of the frame

oh yeah, and 3) Both shoot better than we do.

I have many thousands of rounds through my 75 and aside from breaking three take-down pins have no complaints. And that, it seems, can be fixed with a stronger recoil spring.

Bill

+1

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Hmmmm. Maybe I can get some help for my 9mm problem here!

I'm shopping for a new pistol, which ain't easy in southern Maryland, because we don't have many gun shops with what I would call deep inventory.

I've owned a Glock 34, which I traded for a Sig X-5, which I sold. I liked the Sig, but I wasn't using it in competition, and though it was a sweet shooter, I was always afraid of dinging it. Arrgh.

Anyway, I've been toying around with getting an XD, or maybe a plainjane Sig P226, and a buddy suggested I take a look at some of the CZ's in 9mm.

So, I wandered over to the CZ site and "found" the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, which looks like a really nice pistol to me, and it does have ambi safeties, which I prefer.

I'm wondering how good a shoot the Shadow is, and whether it is in the same category, accuracy wise, as a P226 (non X-5) Sig. I assume it is at least as good as the the XD, and also whether there are any issues that should concern me.

Suggestions? Advice?

I have a personal preference for steel handguns. With that said there is nothing wrong with the Shadow! It is one sweet gun and I would not hesitate to say it will shoot better than the XD purely from it's design.

Phil

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya Gunrack has about everything, always thought they were a little pricey but they are ok to deal with. Not my favorite dealer but you usually can count on them to have every CZ product, I think they get some pretty hefty incentives from CZ for pushing them. I got my P01 from them.

If I ever get another 9mm I want the shadow with an adjustable sight, though might settle for a 85 combat.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    After both my daughter and I running the P-01 for three-gun and just fooling around, I went to an SP-01 Tactical as a heavier version of the same thing (decocker model) so it would have less muzzle flip. It feels almost the same through the grip & trigger, operations are identical and it is a very smooth shooting pistol.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    After both my daughter and I running the P-01 for three-gun and just fooling around, I went to an SP-01 Tactical as a heavier version of the same thing (decocker model) so it would have less muzzle flip. It feels almost the same through the grip & trigger, operations are identical and it is a very smooth shooting pistol.

I love the P01 it is just killing me not to go put that P06 on layaway!!!!!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I should clarify that the muzzle flip issue was very minor and was more a concern for shot recovery time for my daughter vs discomfort. Now, I still shoot the P-01 and the daughter shoots the "tamer" SP-01 faster.
    I love the P01 it is just killing me not to go put that P06 on layaway!!!!!
    I was looking at the P-06 for a carry gun too, but with more power than the P-01. I'd reconsider after just spending 2 days with the P-01 in a Crossbreed IWB at 4 o'clock and another day in a Blade Tech OWB and it really needs to be a PCR for the IWB. If less time was spent behind the wheel, it wouldn't be as noticeable. With a light on the rail, IMO the P-06 would be a good house gun.

I just missed a used .40 top end for the P-01/P-06 over at CZ forums a month or so back. There's always something cool for sale there and a Cadet kit (.22LR) now over there that will fit the 75B series guns.

I have a spare 9mm barrel for the SP-01 and will likely rechamber it for .357 SIG. When I set my shop back up, I'll have to get a reamer & 'Go' gauge from Dave at PTG.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That is what I am sort of thinking, I keeep getting HD guns to replace the glock but have never quite reached a comfort level in instinctive handly. So far my P01 seems very instinctive but I would like a little more punch.

Was going to go XD but changed my mind and decided I should stick with tried and true.

billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    Hello JimBob -

Takedown pins, slide stops, slide releases, you know, those pin things that you have to push out to take the gun apart... Hey, at least I didn't call nothin' a "clip"!

How did I break them, yes, simply shooting a lot. Ed overstates with "tens of thousands", if I had to guess I think I probably have 5-7k through my #1 CZ-75B.

Since so many of y'all seem intrigued by their compact models, may I also suggest you consider Baby Eagles and Tangfolios used? For perhaps 50 cents on the dollar compared to a new CZ you can have virtually the same gun, and with a bit of "character" too. And then buy a couple of springs and slide stops, plus spare mags, for the same money...

Bill

PS - Regarding triggers: Mine was made very smooth and the single action crispened by Les of the Gun Rack back in 2000 or so. I have not visited in a while, and don't know if Les is still hanging around behind the counter, and while I am sure he doesn't want to take on any projects, he might at least recite what he does to CZs and their triggers and somebody might post it for the rest of us. My CZ trigger is, in my opinion, every bit as smooth through the double-action travel as are my custom Smiths and crisp in single action as are my custom 1911s. Whatever Les did made a huge difference.

Last edited:

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    A while back I purchased a CZ-75b Matte Stainless pistol in 9mm. It was my first pistol I had purchased for a long time. I have probably put 2500 rounds through it. Since then I have purchased others... XD, Beretta, Browning HP, 1911, M&P, etc...

No matter what I do I simply cannot shoot anything as well as I can shoot the CZ's. I am infatuated with them. I have since bought a CZ-75b SA and a Kadet kit (.22lr adapter). The Kadet kit has been fun but is not a tack driver. BUT... the CZ's have all been awesome! They feel so good and are accurate for me. I also think they are nice looking to boot! Yes, I know... I have a sickness. I cannot help myself.

It has gotten worse though... I stumbled upon the below CZ PCR and now I simply must have it! Is there a place to get help?

Phil

Wow, that is nice :drool: You don't need help, just more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom