How to properly beat a horse. Please allot 16 hours. This is mandatory.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whateverbro

BANNED!!!
    Jul 8, 2022
    Savage, MD
    They gave us a test. THT. Does mandatory training and licensing pass that test? Don’t tell me you need SCOTUS to tell you whether it passes the test. You don’t have to be a biologist to define what a woman is, do you?

Yes, we DO need the SCOTUS. Again, the SCOTUS did not rule training or licensing as unconstitutional. I understand you have your opinion.. but the only opinion that really matters or has any affect on gun rights is the opinion of the Supreme Court.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, we DO need the SCOTUS. Again, the SCOTUS did not rule training or licensing as unconstitutional. I understand you have your opinion.. but the only opinion that really matters or has any affect on gun rights is the opinion of the Supreme Court.
    Statist.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This in not a question where we have to wonder or speculate , we already KNOW !

Half of the country is Con Carry . Plus many of the states have extremely broad definition of " show competence " or similar phrase , that rounds off to essentially same thing .

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Half of the country is Con Carry . Plus many of the states have extremely broad definition of " show competence " or similar phrase , that rounds off to essentially same thing .
    There’s that particular issue. Mr. Dicken did well.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I agree, 10 years regular army, only M16. I would look foreward to the 16 hours/$300 training but with past training for Virginia non-resident, DC initial and DC re-issue, as well as years of range time and carry, I would expect that the only benefit would be Maryland Specific laws/rules/regulations/procedures. I hope to get that online and here. I am pleased that Maryland made some allowances (DD214).
    You would be better served to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course + Basic Instructor Training and become qualified to Teach the HGP/CCW class to others.

The majority of the MD statutes you should know are posted on the MSP website.

Where are Firearms Prohibited?​

Restriction on the wear, carry and transport of handguns and firearms in certain places appear throughout Maryland law and regulations. Below are statutes and regulations detailing the handgun and firearm restrictions. This list should not be considered all-inclusive.
    1. On school property (CR 4-102)

2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (CR 4-208)

3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)

4. Aboard aircraft (TR 5-1008)

5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably believes individuals possess property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or explosives (BR 15-203)

6. On dredge boats, other than two 10 gauge shotguns (NR 4-1013)

7. In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)

8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (COMAR 08.01.07.14)

9. In State Forests (COMAR 08.07.01.04)

10. In State Parks (COMAR 08.07.06.04)

11. In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)

13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

According to Frosh in the HQL lawsuit pending in the 4th CCT, "firing one round demonstrates proficiency with a handgun."

See this: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/documents?task=download.send&id=219&catid=4&m=0

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    10 year veteran.. only qualified with an M16 many many moons ago. I appreciate the exemption from the training.. but it's not a good idea. Maybe they should waive the application fee for vets but make the training mandatory?
    You can't be ******* serious.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Added incentive to acquire a very large pair of assless chaps...
    Every time I see or hear someone refer to “assless chaps,” the Nebraskan in me groans. Chaps, by design, have always been open on the backside. It’s not like you could go out and get a set of “assed chaps” - they don’t exist.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    In no way, shape or form would I ever endorse any additional firearm restrictions on anyone.

FWIW, I am one of those you are referring to. 25+ years in the US Navy. Submarine Sonarman. Last time I touched a firearm in the Navy was 1993 when I shot a 1911A1, M14 and shotgun as part of qualifications as topside & pier sentry watch. I retired in 2014. Between 2014 and 1993 I never touched a firearm again while in the Navy. That doesn't mean that I haven't shot and trained on my own since then. The DD-214 just exempts me from another layer of bureaucracy and I am okay with that.

Last edited:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Every time I see or hear someone refer to “assless chaps,” the Nebraskan in me groans. Chaps, by design, have always been open on the backside. It’s not like you could go out and get a set of “assed chaps” - they don’t exist.
    They’re called pants.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    The same argument goes for non DD214 applicants. They’ll have taken the training and then may never again discharge or operate their pistol.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I served 21 years and that was 25 years ago when I retired. Your DD214 at least shows you should know where the round comes out. I was at a range with some new Bs who supposedly took the MD course. It was obviously apparent thet did not know where the round comes out. I left the area reported them for being unsafe they were asked to leave and I shot for free.

If a person feels they need additional training due to age or not handling a fire arm for many years they should get it.

Last edited:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    In no way, shape or form would I ever endorse any additional firearm restrictions on anyone.

FWIW, I am one of those you are referring to. 25+ years in the US Navy. Submarines Sonarman. Last time I touched a firearm in the Navy was 1993 when I shot a 1911A1, M14 and shotgun as part of qualifications as topside & pier sentry watch. I retired in 2014. Between 2014 and 1993 I never touched a firearm again while in the Navy. That doesn't mean that I haven't shot and trained on my own since then. The DD-214 just exempts me from another layer of bureaucracy and I am okay with that.
    :beer:

Usmc1968

Pronouns: Bro / Brah/ Bruh
    Jan 22, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I am also a vet and used my DD214 to bypass the training requirements. I grew up around guns and know how to safely handle them. I also qualified expert (3x) in both M16 and Handgun while in the Marines. That being said, I decided to take some, "shoot, don't shoot" classes for my wear and carry I got a year ago. Just to be prepared mentally and stay sharp; it is a lot different than standing there punching holes in paper. I also use the Mantis laser training system at home to practice and hit the range regularly. I served with some folks who were clueless wonder's around firearms, so just because you served does not make you an expert. I do recommend training but NOT mandated by the Gov't.
    Semper Fi

Last edited:

Jake4now

Not Disapproved
    Jul 20, 2022
    Baltimore County MD
    I am also a vet and used my DD214 to bypass the training requirements. I grew up around guns and know how to safely handle them. I also qualified expert (3x) in both M16 and Handgun while in the Marines. That being said, I decided to take some, "shoot, don't shoot" classes for my wear and carry I got a year ago. Just to be prepared mentally and stay sharp; it is a lot different than standing there punching holes in paper. I also use the Mantis laser training system at home to practice and hit the range regularly. I served with some folks who were clueless wonder's around firearms, so just because you served does not make you an expert. I do recommend training but NOT mandated by the Gov't.
    Semper Fi
    Tell me more about the "Shoot don't shoot" training. As in range training, where you have to make the determination if the target is armed, or classroom training?

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    It sounds like most vets here are in violent agreement that training is a good idea, but each individual should decide on their own whether they need to take it or not. Govt mandated training is retarded.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    It sounds like most vets here are in violent agreement that training is a good idea, but each individual should decide on their own whether they need to take it or not. Govt mandated training is retarded.
    Government required training is retarded yes and no. No, it is no differant from drivers education before you get your license. Yes, as much as it costs to get the training to make you jump through more hoops. Also, is the training actually adequate just by shooting paper and discussing laws?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Government required training is retarded yes and no. No, it is no differant from drivers education before you get your license. Yes, as much as it costs to get the training to make you jump through more hoops. Also, is the training actually adequate just by shooting paper and discussing laws?
    I’d bet the legal aspect is where most people need the training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom