How to properly beat a horse. Please allot 16 hours. This is mandatory.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catmj

Nov 6, 2015
    Baltimore County
    I agree with previous posters, if you aren’t comfortable applying for a W&C permit using your DD214 like I did, then don’t. Take the training class and upload your training doc. Period.

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    I am also a veteran who was trained during my service. I have had my ccw for some time now. Shooting is a part of my weekly routine, as well as competing in IDPA and USPSA. Maintain proficiency with a handgun is necessary in my opinion. Still elected to take the training. Not for the live fire, but to ensure I had a good understanding of state laws associated with ccw.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I am also a veteran who was trained during my service. I have had my ccw for some time now. Shooting is a part of my weekly routine, as well as competing in IDPA and USPSA. Maintain proficiency with a handgun is necessary in my opinion. Still elected to take the training. Not for the live fire, but to ensure I had a good understanding of state laws associated with ccw.
    This

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I don't want the senior partner of Dewey, Skruem, and Howe teaching me marksmanship or the practicalities of CCW based on his J.D. I don't want an expert marksman teaching me the legalities on the strength of his marksmanship or his certification from a national firearms organization. Each to his strengths.
    Damn--when did Cheatem leave the firm? Did that SOB finally get disbarred ...or start his own practice?

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    I am a new member here and can’t help but chime in. After reading the responses on here I cannot help but laugh my ass off at some of the responses.

2A is a constitutional right, a drivers license is a privilege. No comparison here.

Wanting mandatory training before you can use use your constitutionally protected rights is pretty ******* stupid to me. This training is nothing more than another way of infringing on your 2A rights. And it’s getting a bunch of jackasses rich.

Now as far as my DD214 exempting me from training. I damn sure submitted my DD214 so I didn’t have to take training that isn’t going to do much anyways. I have enough LEO friends that I hang with, that I bounce questions off them all the time. The MDSP website answers the rest. And my time in that shitbox overseas taught me more about ROE, shoot/dont shoot, situational awareness, and more importantly “know where friendlies are!”.

With all that being typed, if someone wants to pay for that training then knock yourself out, but don’t try to make it mandatory, and damn sure don’t try to tell me that my TIS and deployments shouldn’t cover any 16 hour training.

Sorry, off that soap box.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    There is the mechanics of pistolcraft. Very important. Then there is the legal and moral aspect of the shoot/don't shoot decision-making process in a street encounter. How much of that is covered in the service?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I am a new member here and can’t help but chime in. After reading the responses on here I cannot help but laugh my ass off at some of the responses.

2A is a constitutional right, a drivers license is a privilege. No comparison here.

Wanting mandatory training before you can use use your constitutionally protected rights is pretty ******* stupid to me. This training is nothing more than another way of infringing on your 2A rights. And it’s getting a bunch of jackasses rich.

Now as far as my DD214 exempting me from training. I damn sure submitted my DD214 so I didn’t have to take training that isn’t going to do much anyways. I have enough LEO friends that I hang with, that I bounce questions off them all the time. The MDSP website answers the rest. And my time in that shitbox overseas taught me more about ROE, shoot/dont shoot, situational awareness, and more importantly “know where friendlies are!”.

With all that being typed, if someone wants to pay for that training then knock yourself out, but don’t try to make it mandatory, and damn sure don’t try to tell me that my TIS and deployments shouldn’t cover any 16 hour training.

Sorry, off that soap box.
    Ed Zack Lee :thumbsup:

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    There is the mechanics of pistolcraft. Very important. Then there is the legal and moral aspect of the shoot/don't shoot decision-making process in a street encounter. How much of that is covered in the service?
    Sorry brother,

Any infantry soldier who has deployed in a combat zone has more training than you will ever get from a 16 hour class. And for those who have “been over the hill and seen the elephant”, have that covered more than any training is ever gonna teach.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Sorry brother,

Any infantry soldier who has deployed in a combat zone has more training than you will ever get from a 16 hour class. And for those who have “been over the hill and seen the elephant”, have that covered more than any training is ever gonna teach.
    Thanks for your input. A lot of what I heard regarding the military (as a civilian who could not serve) is that folks in uniform do not receive training in the use of discretion that LEO's do. My understanding is that military training is, and I know this is an over simplification, more binary, meaning shoot the guy in the wrong uniform, and don't shoot guys in friendly uniforms.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry brother,

Umm...

The CCW training should cover the legal aspects to the new AO of wherever you are. The legal rules in one AO don't necessarily apply to another.

IMO it's worth the time to hear that; kind of like a briefing when you were in the military.

I agree unconstitutional but it is what it is for now.

YMMV

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry brother,

Ahhh. The good ol veteran "sandbox chest thump".
    Never gets tiring thanking yourself for your service, does it?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Training should not be the barrier to entry for a carry permit. First off, I think it is unconstitutional. For example, last I checked we didn’t need free speech permits (though we certainly are liable for what we say and write, which is just) or have free speech free zones. Second, it is a barrier to entry for anyone who can’t afford training or the time off to get it. Third, I have seen no demonstrable proof that it is an evidence based practice. Concealed carriers are among the safest, most law abiding categories of people in the US.

I’m thankful to be exempt from mandatory training, but it bothers me to think of all the people denied their constitutional rights because they don’t have the same piece of paper I do, unless they pay for state mandated box check training. Every firearm owner SHOULD seek out tailored training, train on their own, and educate themselves on local laws. But they should not be forced into mandatory training of questionable value just to be able to exercise their rights.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Thanks for your input. A lot of what I heard regarding the military (as a civilian who could not serve) is that folks in uniform do not receive training in the use of discretion that LEO's do. My understanding is that military training is, and I know this is an over simplification, more binary, meaning shoot the guy in the wrong uniform, and don't shoot guys in friendly uniforms.
    Your attempt to generalize is quite frankly well, I'll just stop there. I guess you haven't been paying much attention to the news from the sandbox for the last 25 years. Law of war, Rules of Engagement, extensive briefings and debriefings, every unit has a JAG lawyer on the staff, command and NCIS investigations on ANY use of force incident. Heck even in pre-GWOT days there was lots of training regardless of branch of service.

shekaar

Apr 26, 2018
    My DD214 after 6 years of service included exactly zero time being formally trained on handling a pistol, and a probably a few hours handling a rifle during basic. No need for an airborne linguist to carry a weapon stateside I guess.
    At some point I'll probably get some training specific to carrying in MD, but I also lived in AZ for several years where I carried regularly without any formal training requirement, so I think I'll survive here.

I do think it's silly to generalize veterans as a group who doesn't need training by virtue of being veterans, but I'll save my 16 hours and several hundred dollars for now nonetheless.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My DD214 after 6 years of service included exactly zero time being formally trained on handling a pistol, and a probably a few hours handling a rifle during basic. No need for an airborne linguist to carry a weapon stateside I guess.
    At some point I'll probably get some training specific to carrying in MD, but I also lived in AZ for several years where I carried regularly without any formal training requirement, so I think I'll survive here.

I do think it's silly to generalize veterans as a group who doesn't need training by virtue of being veterans, but I'll save my 16 hours and several hundred dollars for now nonetheless.
    Well stated.
    I said it before about myself.... Society doesn't want the 17 year old TOW gunner from back in 1984 carrying a pistol. Since we never shot one at all. We hade some 1911's that appeared to be left over from the Cuban Missile crisis days we never even plinked with.
    If when I got out and didn't get into the career I retired from, I would still be at 56, that same pimply faced TOW gunner.

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    Ahhh. The good ol veteran "sandbox chest thump".
    Never gets tiring thanking yourself for your service, does it?
    What kind of post is that? Chest bump? Thanking myself?

You think whatever you wanna think, but your ability to make an ignorant comment like that is because of us “veterans”.

Now let’s agree to disagree and you can keep your personal dislike to yourself and I will do the same?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    What kind of post is that? Chest bump? Thanking myself?

You think whatever you wanna think, but your ability to make an ignorant comment like that is because of us “veterans”.

Now let’s agree to disagree and you can keep your personal dislike to yourself and I will do the same?

You both are pissing on each others spit shinned boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom