House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    I really think this bill is pointless, in a may issue state like Maryland I have a better chance of becoming the Pope then getting a W&C permit. But, we all know that this bill is nonsense.

My question is when does this college student and many others start lighting up Hogan's phone demanding a veto?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    If you are referring to HB159 the Weapons Free Higher Ed Zones, according to the MGA website it is still in the Senate first reading. It's only cleared the House. Still needs to get out of committee favorably in the Senate and then get a floor vote. If it were to make it out and pass and IF (and I know it's a big if) it were to be vetoed by Hogan they would need a 60% majority to override. That will be difficult in the Senate. They only have 63% in the House which tends to go more liberal, on this bill.

I am wondering if there is some back channel dealing going on with Hogan's office getting them to not vote it out of committee, because he'll veto it and it will get embarrassing for everybody. Norton can talk a lot better than I about how much of what we see in front of the MGA curtain is just theater and so much is dealt and decided long before even the committee votes are cast.

The Senate version cleared and it was gutted. Now a civil fine vs misdemeanor.

They weakened it even further by including the adverb "knowingly" in an effort to protect those who forget it is in car etc.

A huge victory that it was weakened that much but still needs to die. Telling that Delores Kelly voted against it but Brochin and Zirkin voted for it.

No one wants to say it but there's a racial fault line with this bill.

The fact they trimmed it back this much means the Mike clowns are desperate to pass something.

Liberals are getting shitty and using special orders to stall pro gun bills in House.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

They weakened it even further by including the adverb "knowingly" in an effort to protect those who forget it is in car etc.

A huge victory that it was weakened that much but still needs to die. Telling that Delores Kelly voted against it but Brochin and Zirkin voted for it.

The fact they trimmed it back this much means the Mike clowns are desperate to pass something.

Liberals are getting shitty and using special orders to stall pro gun bills in House.

Gotta watch if they put something back in when it goes to MD's version of reconciliation.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Gotta watch if they put something back in when it goes to MD's version of reconciliation.

Yeah I wonder if they really have the votes to do that. They can pass it but can they overcome a veto if it comes to It? I doubt it because of how watered down they had to make it to get a 6-5 committee vote.

The NAACP probably spooked a lot of the black lawmakers.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

Is it still a disqualifying misdemeanor?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Attachments

• mlis search.JPG
      mlis search.JPG
      30.4 KB · Views: 193

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Maybe it is just me but I have had this issue on two different computers running Windows 10. Has anyone noticed that it is impossible to search for firearms specific legislation on the MLIS website. Firearms says "-see guns" and when you search on the "Guns" tab it redirects you back to "Firearms See Guns".

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmLegislation.aspx?pid=legisnpage&tab=subject3

Use this:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...bjpage&tab=subject3&id=guns&stab=01&ys=2017RS

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

There is no reconciliation....In order for there to be reconciliation the Senate has to give the House version a hearing (which they haven't yet).

The House passed their version and the Senate has yet to hear the House bill in Committee. The Senate passed their version, but the bill has been special ordered until 3/20 which pretty much guarantees that the bill won't make crossover day.

I find all of this very interesting, and would not put it past them to leave both bills until sine die to do something with at the last minute to try and sneak it through.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    There is no reconciliation....In order for there to be reconciliation the Senate has to give the House version a hearing (which they haven't yet).

The House passed their version and the Senate has yet to hear the House bill in Committee. The Senate passed their version, but the bill has been special ordered until 3/20 which pretty much guarantees that the bill won't make crossover day.

I find all of this very interesting, and would not put it past them to leave both bills until sine die to do something with at the last minute to try and sneak it through.

Try to squeeze it in to one of the training bills?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Maybe the MGA leadership realizes the House version will never pass the Senate committes, let alone a floor vote and they're just going to let it die? Better to not bring something up for a vote if you know you're going to lose.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Maybe the MGA leadership realizes the House version will never pass the Senate committes, let alone a floor vote and they're just going to let it die? Better to not bring something up for a vote if you know you're going to lose.

The crappy beer twins are desperate to pass something. The left really wants to pick a fight over guns and "guns in classrooms" along with the little discussed 2nd degree assault/domestic violence bill are their hammers.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Try to squeeze it in to one of the training bills?

They can try, but that would require floor amendments in the House (Can't the bill is already out of the house), or amendments to the training bills in the Senate either in committee or floor amendments. That would then still require joint House/Senate committee to reconcile, and I don't see that happening. But then again, they tried to screw us on the weapons free higher educations zones last year by trying to add it to the domestic violence notification bill on sine die.

Like I said, we need to pay close attention to both of those bills, as anything can happen between now and sine die.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The crappy beer twins are desperate to pass something. The left really wants to pick a fight over guns and "guns in classrooms" along with the little discussed 2nd degree assault/domestic violence bill are their hammers.

Miller more than Bush with regards to weapons free higher education zones, given that he tried to add it to the Domestic violence notification bill on sine die last year. We beat that back at the last minute last year.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Miller more than Bush with regards to weapons free higher education zones, given that he tried to add it to the Domestic violence notification bill on sine die last year. We beat that back at the last minute last year.

When did Miller get such a bug up his ass about guns and colleges? They've had decades to do this. Did something set him off?

Normally he goes where the wind is blowing and as far as I can tell there wasn't a strong breeze for this bill.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When did Miller get such a bug up his ass about guns and colleges? They've had decades to do this. Did something set him off?

Normally he goes where the wind is blowing and as far as I can tell there wasn't a strong breeze for this bill.

His grand daughter is attending UMD. He's told us that many times, both this year and last.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

I do not think it's a Miller thing. Campus carry is an issue all over the country. I think that the demanding MoMs and Bloomberg crowd are looking for a victory to say that they beat back the tide.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I do not think it's a Miller thing. Campus carry is an issue all over the country. I think that the demanding MoMs and Bloomberg crowd are looking for a victory to say that they beat back the tide.

Thats funny if the best they can do is get A victory in one of the bluest states in the country they really are in trouble.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom