House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Very interesting testimony from the NAACP.

Notes that many in Baltimore have no idea they're breaking the law. Notes that guns used in baltimore city crime are not acquired or carried legally.
    Would rather have an information campaign versus this bill.

Wow NAACP finally got a clue.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    And Senator Smith is a prior Navy Office? the navy should be ashamed. Just listening to this nut job. Says guns will affect the freedom of speech. Also sites Johns Hopkins research. I guess he wasn't a very good intelligence officer if he see the scam proffered by JHU.

Clear signage will be provided.

Smith is awfully smug.

Go Hough! Can't puts signs everywhere.

Smith has no respect for authority.

About 8:50 into the hearing.

http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/mga/pl...?catalog/03e481c7-8a42-4438-a7da-93ff74bdaa4c

If I am hell bent on killing myself on campus, I might not do it because it's illegal to have a gun on campus and it's a felony.

Smith says now not a felony, just a misdemeanor and $1,000 fine.

NAACP guy states laws passed sometimes weaken the desired affect.

MOM said presence of firearms on campuses that allow firearms resulted in 50% increase in rape?

Last edited:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    And Senator Smith is a prior Navy Office? the navy should be ashamed. Just listening to this nut job. Says guns will affect the freedom of speech. Also sites Johns Hopkins research. I guess he wasn't a very good intelligence officer if he see the scam proffered by JHU.

Clear signage will be provided.

Smith is awfully smug.

Go Hough! Can't puts signs everywhere.

Smith has no respect for authority.

About 7:50 into the hearing.

http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/mga/pl...?catalog/03e481c7-8a42-4438-a7da-93ff74bdaa4c

If I am hell bent on killing myself on campus, I might not do it because it's illegal to have a gun on campus and it's a felony.

Smith says now not a felony, just a misdemeanor and $1,000 fine.

NAACP guy states laws passed sometimes weaken the desired affect.

MOM said presence of firearms on campuses that allow firearms resulted in 50% increase in rape?

They're all such a collection of liars. I can't stand to listen to them. A bunch of scuzzbags who will preach about how they're keeping everyone safe while half of them are charging $450 an hour to get as many predators off in court as they can and turn them back loose on the law abiding.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    After I slept on this, maybe the first amendment pressure from having a gun on campus refers to the violence from the left. Bricks through windows, torched police cars and privately owner limos, and setting fire to the streets. Because, that's what the first amendment is about.

Does anyone know if Will "Smuggie" Smith knows that its not the penalty you get but the penalty you could get that gets you a lifetime ban.

Update: Sent him an email of that question.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    After I slept on this, maybe the first amendment pressure from having a gun on campus refers to the violence from the left. Bricks through windows, torched police cars and privately owner limos, and setting fire to the streets. Because, that's what the first amendment is about.

Does anyone know if Will "Smuggie" Smith knows that its not the penalty you get but the penalty you could get that gets you a lifetime ban.

Update: Sent him an email of that question.

He knows

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Just received the After Action Report: Senate Hearing - SB 946 Campus Weapons Ban

I have some concerns. It is not clearly stated that the comments below that if found guilty, is still a lifetime disqualifying offense. (Amendment has changed it from a felony to misdemeanor - but still a 3 year offense) I wish it would have been left a felony because that would be easier to challenge should an appeal to the law ever be made.

This note makes it look like the bill "is all OK now." I encourage anyone to watch this hearing. The links are in the above posts. Smug little Smith is arrogant and disrespectful. I think we need to keep an eye out for this guy. He is dangerous to the 2A community and others.

Prior to SB 946 being called for testimony, Senator Will Smith, the lead sponsor, was kind enough to provide us with copies of his amendments to his bill. This gesture was much appreciated because quite often we only learn of sponsor amendments when the bill is called and we do not have the benefit of written copies of the proposed amendments.

In its amended form, SB 946 now resembles a House Bill (HB 159) by the same name which has already passed in the House. The felony provisions have been removed and replaced with a misdemeanor offense, signage requirements have been added. The "mens rea" language was revised, but not necessarily for the better. (Note: "Mens rea" is a legal term describing an offense in which the offender knew that the action was illegal and still committed the offense. In short, an intention rather that accidental violation of the law.) Further amendments to this bill are possible, and to be expected.

The proponents of the bill made the usual claims regarding the horrors of privately owned firearms on campus including an unnamed report by the Bloomberg funded John Hopkins Gun Policy Center, and other "studies" by unnamed organizations. They also cited an interesting array of reasons why guns on campus should be banned:
    •Gun stifle free speech and debate on campus (Mt. Washington challenged this by pointing out that we had just experienced over 10 hours of active debate on emotional topics with armed persons in the hearing room)
    •Parents are afraid to send their children to colleges where guns are not banned (this one is curious given that the bill only applies to public institutions)
    •Guns increase the danger to students when drugs and alcohol are involved
    •Guns increase rapes and other crimes on campus
    •Police won't be able to differentiate between students and attackers (the same can be said for plainclothes police officers)

A link to the Johns Hopkins Report is provided below. We have not been able to confirm whether or not the study has been the subject of peer review.

After waiting patiently for well over 10 hours for SB 946 to be called, compelling oral testimony in opposition to SB 946 was presented by representatives of the following organizations:
    •National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA/ILA)
    •Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Association
    •Maryland Shall Issue
    •Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    •Stoney Creek Fishing & Hunting Club provided excellent written testimony

We owe these organizations a debt of gratitude for their perseverance and dedication to preserving our 2nd Amendment rights.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-alcoholic-beverages-20170303-story.html

Another bill by out Esteemed Senator from Montgomery County. De-criminalizes public open container laws. Does that seem ironic to anyone else here.

That's nice. Another totally detached from reality bill. The truth of the matter is most people who get locked up for open container need to go somewhere to dry out overnight, and the cases are almost always stetted or PBJ'd once they get to court unless the assclown has done something else too. But when people get struck by cars because they were out wandering around drunk off the wazoo and the cops had to give them a civil citation and let them go, you know who will get blamed. And it won't be the enablers in Annapolis.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Seems like the fix is in with this bill. It cleared the Senate side with amendments for the first time ever. Ruh roh. Fairly safe to say this will hit Hogan's desk.

He'll let it become law without his signature.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm old enough to remember before open containers were criminalized . Even stopped clock is right twice a day.

$100 fine is still hefty deterent, and actual asshatery is still subject to Disorderly Conduct.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm old enough to remember before open containers were criminalized . Even stopped clock is right twice a day.

$100 fine is still hefty deterent, and actual asshatery is still subject to Disorderly Conduct.

Yeah, I have no issue with people getting drunk and killing themselves if they wish to do so. I wouldn't even blame a LEO for it happening. That is self induced and as we all know, a LEO has no duty to defend us from somebody else, much less ourselves.

Nope, I am all for personal responsibility. I rarely drink. Cannot even remember the last time I had alcohol and I have never in my life had an open container in public. However, the entire open container thing is just one more nanny state item wherein the government is telling us what is good for us.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    DUI is already illegal.
    Acting boisterous is already illegal.
    Having a beer while not driving and behaving yourself is proposed to cost you a $100 fine.

Seems to cover the bases, other than indulging in neo-puritanism .

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Seems like the fix is in with this bill. It cleared the Senate side with amendments for the first time ever. Ruh roh. Fairly safe to say this will hit Hogan's desk.

He'll let it become law without his signature.

If you are referring to HB159 the Weapons Free Higher Ed Zones, according to the MGA website it is still in the Senate first reading. It's only cleared the House. Still needs to get out of committee favorably in the Senate and then get a floor vote. If it were to make it out and pass and IF (and I know it's a big if) it were to be vetoed by Hogan they would need a 60% majority to override. That will be difficult in the Senate. They only have 63% in the House which tends to go more liberal, on this bill.

I am wondering if there is some back channel dealing going on with Hogan's office getting them to not vote it out of committee, because he'll veto it and it will get embarrassing for everybody. Norton can talk a lot better than I about how much of what we see in front of the MGA curtain is just theater and so much is dealt and decided long before even the committee votes are cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom