House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Hb159 has passed 2nd reader with Amendments from the Senate Judiciary.
    There's now a civil penalty instead of a criminal one.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=HB0159&stab=01&ys=2017RS
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/amds/bil_0009/hb0159_22837301.pdf

Second link page 3.
    A POLICE OFFICER SHALL ISSUE A CITATION TO A PERSON

Is this the same shall issue that, issued me my permit in Maryland...Oh wait I did not get a permit, twice.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee amended HB159 to look exactly the same as the version of SB946 that the Senate passed a short time ago.

The House Appropriations Committee has amended SB946 to match the original HB159, and it will go to 3rd Reader in the House tomorrow.

Due to differences in opinion between the Senate and the House of Delegates, House Bill 159 and Senate Bill 946 (the bills that will make our public colleges statutory gun-free zones) were amended in drastically different ways. This means that these bills will likely go to a “Conference Committee” (three Delegates and three Senators) to “iron out” the differences. The MSRPA recommends that ALL of our members contact their Delegates and Senator to politely, but firmly, advocate for a NO vote on these bills in any form. Send emails, make phone calls, or drop by their offices for a visit on Friday or Monday. This is the final stretch – WE NEED YOUR HELP TO DEFEAT THESE BILLS BEFORE SESSION ENDS AT MIDNIGHT ON MONDAY NIGHT, APRIL 10, 2017.

If you need assistance in finding the contact information for your representatives in the Maryland General Assembly, please enter your home address at http://mdelect.net.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I'm glad the House made the important amendment of changing it to Weapon Free vs Gun Free.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Call your representatives today on HB 159 and SB 946

Giving this a bump. Contact your representatives in the morning!

Use this tool to find out who they are and how to get ahold of them if you don't already know.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home&poptype=find&popid=

Sine Die is almost here! The General Assembly session ends at midnight on April 10. Between now and then, there is much opportunity for mischief. The big news thus far is that the House (HB 159) and Senate (SB 946) have passed have vastly different versions of the Campus Carry Ban. We are opposed to both bills (although the Senate version is better). The Senate has thus far insisted on its version and it looks like the House will insist on its version as well. That may mean that a conference committee is called in which representatives from both the Senate and the House sit down and hammer out a bill. That resulting bill could look like anything. That conference bill would then be submitted to both chambers for a vote without amendments. Time to call your representatives (click on DC-W link above for their contact info) and politely ask them to oppose both HB 159 and SB 946 in any form!

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    SB946 was amended by the House Appropriations Committee to be put in the same form as HB159 originally passed - meaning onerous criminal penalties for having a firearm on campus, or on property owned or operated by a public institution of higher learning. The bill passed "3rd Reader" in the House of Delegates without any debate.

This means that there will be two conference committees (one for HB159, the other for SB946). We need all concerned citizens to call their Delegates and Senators to express their polite, but firm, opposition to these bills in any form. We need to make this difficult for them. They will be in Session tomorrow as well. Call today, call tomorrow, and call on Monday. To find their contact information, enter your home address at http://mdelect.net.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    SB946 was amended by the House Appropriations Committee to be put in the same form as HB159 originally passed - meaning onerous criminal penalties for having a firearm on campus, or on property owned or operated by a public institution of higher learning. The bill passed "3rd Reader" in the House of Delegates without any debate.

This means that there will be two conference committees (one for HB159, the other for SB946). We need all concerned citizens to call their Delegates and Senators to express their polite, but firm, opposition to these bills in any form. We need to make this difficult for them. They will be in Session tomorrow as well. Call today, call tomorrow, and call on Monday. To find their contact information, enter your home address at http://mdelect.net.

Let's take some of the HIGH ENERGY we're feeling today from Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch's confirmation and put it to work here in MD!

Call your legislators!

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I have 5 legislators in my district... not one of them gives a fat rats ass what I think... Liberal f**king scum... all of them...:mad54:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have 5 legislators in my district... not one of them gives a fat rats ass what I think... Liberal f**king scum... all of them...:mad54:

Keep speaking up. It probably won't change their mind, but it could. If you don't speak up, you don't have any chance of changing their mind.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Phone calls when they tried these shenanigans last year were what got the similar bills dead in the Senate on Sine Die. The lobbyists, myself included, will do our best in the hallways and trying to get the legislators to listen, but we can only do so much. Noise from the people can be the thing that pushes the teeter-totter enough to fall over.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thank you Mike!

Can you provide details about where the legislators will be meeting tomorrow and when?

House Conference Committee Appointed on HB159 (Delegates B. Barnes, Valentino-Smith and Ciliberti)

Senate Session Status
    Adjourned
    until Monday, April 10, 2017
    at 9:30 AM

House Session Status
    Adjourned
    until Saturday, April 8, 2017
    at 11:00 AM

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Same here, I'm feeling you...

Thank you Mike!

Can you provide details about where the legislators will be meeting tomorrow and when?

Yes, this.

House Conference Committee Appointed on HB159 (Delegates B. Barnes, Valentino-Smith and Ciliberti)

Senate Session Status
    Adjourned
    until Monday, April 10, 2017
    at 9:30 AM

House Session Status
    Adjourned
    until Saturday, April 8, 2017
    at 11:00 AM

I've done what I could, at this point.

esqappellate, ... Thank you. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread