House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So by my math, they have 8 Legislative days to get through on Monday the 10th before Sine Die. Still enough time for shenanigans and for this bill to pass. Stay on them folks.

Mark, Mike, Shannon, John - Great job all, keep up the great work.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    10th (Sine Die) is Monday. They have 1 official working"Legislative day" left, I think. Maybe they are working this weekend too, so I suppose 3 days is the count

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It would be more fun to go shooting and not have to worry about what the Maryland General Assembly is doing in session. Oh well.....

Thanks to everybody for everything that you have done to stop this mess. I did what I could. More than some, less than others, but something.

Amen to that. And thanks for your help. The MSI motto: *Do Something*

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    10th (Sine Die) is Monday. They have 1 official working"Legislative day" left, I think. Maybe they are working this weekend too, so I suppose 3 days is the count

A legislative day is different than a calendar day. A legislative date is defined as: Length of time from convening a session in the chamber until adjournment; may be longer or shorter than a calendar day i.e., a session that continues into a second calendar day without adjourning is one legislative day. If a chamber adjourns and reconvenes on the same day, that constitutes two legislative days.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    There is none that I know of. Sometimes common sense prevails. Not always, and not even often, but sometimes.

I think we are getting back to common sense. Once upon a time, only the fringes of both sides of the political spectrum paid any attention to politics. Nowadays, I think people in the middle, the ones with some common sense, are starting to pay attention and demanding common sense, and not merely the "common sense" talking point BS peddled by the diehard politicians. Whenever I hear "common sense" come out of the mouth of a politician, I know it is anything but. Obama used that term a lot. I hope Trump stays away from it.

Laws should only be passed if they actually do something and can be enforced.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Counting today (Saturday), there are indeed 3 calendar days, but legislative days are different. If you look at the history of HB159, you will see that the House "refused to concur with Senate Amendments" on Calendar Day 4/7/17, but on Legislative Date 3/31/17. The Legislative days are what we need to pay attention to, and a Legislative day is time a floor session is convened until it is adjourned. So all of those Saturdays and Sundays at the beginning of the session that they didn't have a floor session were calendar days, but not Legislative days.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I think we are getting back to common sense. Once upon a time, only the fringes of both sides of the political spectrum paid any attention to politics. Nowadays, I think people in the middle, the ones with some common sense, are starting to pay attention and demanding common sense, and not merely the "common sense" talking point BS peddled by the diehard politicians. Whenever I hear "common sense" come out of the mouth of a politician, I know it is anything but. Obama used that term a lot. I hope Trump stays away from it.

Laws should only be passed if they actually do something and can be enforced.

That would be me. A moderate independent who couldn't believe WTF MD lawmakers were trying to do in the name of "doing something" to prevent violence. 5 years ago, I thought, gulp, that AR stood for assault rifle. Then they passed the Firearms Suppression Act of 2013 after I said to myself, that is so stupid, it will never pass. Of course it did, and I started paying attention.

Since MD put restrictions on guns in 2013, I bought my first handgun, got my collector permit, got myself 2 carry permits (for other states, naturally), got myself an assortment of Armalite Rifle 15s, most made from 80% lowers thank you (I mean FU government), bought assorted other rifles, and am no longer appalled by folks, as reported by the news having "thousands of rounds of ammunition in their home" , because I now do, in multiple calibers......

Long gun transfer bill? Testified against it because it's a stupid idea to focus any tax dollars on 2% of a problem for one, plus, without a registry of every gun in the state right now, how would they enforce it? Man up mondays? I try to hit every one. Getting new folks to embrace the 2A? I try all the time. Contacting my lawmaker? Done for the first time ever after 2013, and all pro 2A.

OK, short story is, I think fabsroman is on to something. Now if lawmakers in this state want to reduce gun deaths, how about making sure that the criminals aren't the only ones with guns?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Madaleno is trying to shoehorn part of his handgun review board bill into the alternative expiration date bill.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Madaleno is trying to shoehorn part of his handgun review board bill into the alternative expiration date bill.
    Yes, he tried the other day and got shot down by the Chairman of JPR, who feels that should be a separate bill (along with members of his committee who are investigating if what Madaleno is trying to do violates Senate Rule 46). In order to delay that fight, Bobby Zirkin (Chair of JPR) motioned to "Special Order" the bill to "the appropriate time" on Monday. This is a procedural move which could mean a couple of things: 1) shenanigans, as the delay allows time to "whip" the body into accepting or defeating the amendment, or 2) the bill may or may not come back up in front of the body at all.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    A legislative day is different than a calendar day. A legislative date is defined as: Length of time from convening a session in the chamber until adjournment; may be longer or shorter than a calendar day i.e., a session that continues into a second calendar day without adjourning is one legislative day. If a chamber adjourns and reconvenes on the same day, that constitutes two legislative days.

Counting today (Saturday), there are indeed 3 calendar days, but legislative days are different. If you look at the history of HB159, you will see that the House "refused to concur with Senate Amendments" on Calendar Day 4/7/17, but on Legislative Date 3/31/17. The Legislative days are what we need to pay attention to, and a Legislative day is time a floor session is convened until it is adjourned. So all of those Saturdays and Sundays at the beginning of the session that they didn't have a floor session were calendar days, but not Legislative days.

Okay, thanks guys for the additional information on the process. Hopefully this will end without any BS making it to Hogan's desk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom