House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    why is it EVERY year these bastards are just relentless on taking our rights away and trying to make us criminals!!!

^
    My exact thought today.
    After 2013 I figured there wasn't much else they could do to us short of confiscation. Now I'm pretty sure they won't stop until that happens.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I guess none of our elected officials ever noticed that most mass shootings occur in gun free zones.

They've noticed. They also know that in order to eventually eliminate the Second Amendment, they need to have young people be unfamiliar with, and fearful of guns. Prohibition and banning access to them while they are being indoctrinated in school is one of the most effective ways. Just look at all the other indoctrination taking place on campuses in Maryland and elsewhere. Teaching firearm safety would be unacceptable, because that would mean acceptance of guns.

Btw, if guns are to be banned on campuses, are organizations that advocate gun control and prohibition also to be banned? No. First Amendment. But no Second Amendment.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Twice a year I shoot in a 10 week league after work. My job takes me all over the place including university properties that are remote locations from the main campus. Actually unless you are in the know, you'd think you were driving into an industrial complex or a farm. The universities have research facilities all over the state and many are leased out to other organizations who are doing the research with grant money. I've never seen a student or professor at some of these places.

How about the AACC building on the Arundel Mills property. Is the parking lot around the college building covered under this bill? How many people buy a gun at Bass Pro and drive through their lot?

Yep, I posted that exact same scenario on the Arundel Mills issue a couple of days ago. :) ANd don't forget the University of Maryland Hospital System. Those are teaching hospitals with UM med and nursing students in them to learn. And all of those research facilities that they have spread around as well.

These bastards are trying to make this bill sound far more toothless than it is.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    ^
    My exact thought today.
    After 2013 I figured there wasn't much else they could do to us short of confiscation. Now I'm pretty sure they won't stop until that happens.

I think they want to make owning a gun as bad as owning marijuana used to be. If they find a way to lock all of us up, then they don't need to ban firearms because anybody that wants one will already be in prison.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    You might have to wait a little while for it to be entered. If I am not mistaken, the vote tally is usually part of the "documents" portion of the website regarding the bill in question.

WBAL TV (channel 11) just broadcast a clip on the House vote. I was asked for comments before the broadcast. Here is what I gave David Collins of WBAL TV and some of it was actually reproduced on the screen:

HB 159, as passed by the House of Delegates today, needlessly criminalizes existing and fully effective administrative policies of colleges that restricted possession of firearms on campus. It does so by punishing otherwise innocent possession of a firearm on any part of the many thousands of acres of college "property" anywhere in Maryland, including roads, farms, off-campus graduate student apartments and commercial property, with three years in prison, even though the person may not even know that they were on college property at the time. It also renders defenseless persons with Maryland State Police-issued carry permits who have demonstrated a strong need for a permit under Maryland law. The House refused to adopt an amendment that would have required colleges to have armed police on campus to protect students from violent attackers. The House even defeated a proposed amendment that would have exempted from the ban a person with a letter from the State Police attesting that that a carry permit was issued because that person has actually been targeted for attack. This legislation senselessly and severely criminalizes otherwise innocent conduct and wrongly disarms persons who have actually demonstrated a pressing need to carry a firearm. In short, the House is “more concerned about disarming the people than about keeping them safe.” Caetano v. Massachusetts, 136 S.Ct. 1027 (Supreme Court 2016) (Justice Alito., concurring).

Mark W. Pennak

President, Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I think they want to make owning a gun as bad as owning marijuana used to be. If they find a way to lock all of us up, then they don't need to ban firearms because anybody that wants one will already be in prison.

That's pretty nefarious thinking. It might even be more so. They don't even have to put anybody that wants one in prison. Just make everyone a prohibited person. Presto!

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    This is a textbook example of overcriminalization in america. If in the course of your day you unwhittingly violate laws, then your freedom is at the liesure and discretion of society, and so a non existent ruse. Discretionary freedom is no freedom at all.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think also what you are seeing is a "liblash" of leftists acting out any way they can to make themselves feel better with Trump winning. Part of that is lashing back at us locally with more gun control laws. That's why these bills that have died pretty quickly in past sessions have chances of passing in this one.

{ Yes I made a new word, "Liblash". Man I am a brilliant PR guy, why aren't I working in the WH, why!!?? :) ;) }

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    "It 'just extends' to higher education campuses what is already on K-12 campuses."

Ha ha.

1. A total ban everywhere is "just an extension," too.

2. Importantly, on higher education campuses, there are two major differences:

First, the students there are of legal age to own a firearm; and

Second, unlike K-12 school campuses which are almost always 1or 2 discrete buildings on a discrete parcel of land, higher education properties can be diverse, eg one unmarked building in an urban environment, have public roads running through them, be residential properties, or even be rural barns, not known to be campus properties.

Last edited:

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Don't some of the schools permit students to store firearms in a centralized location? I thought I read that somewhere last year.

Obviously, thus bill also straps the right of private institutions to make their own policies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom