Help out the new guy - Ruger or Smith & Wesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Wow, I forgot that I started this thread. Lots of good advice here, thank you to everyone that responded. I wound up buying an SR9. I'm now experiencing the joy of waiting for the MSP to allow me to claim what is mine. I'm guessing I have at least 6 more weeks to go.

In the meantime, I've got no ammo and it's time to fix that problem. My question to all the SR9 owners out there: Is there any particular brand or type that your gun prefers? Anything that is likely to cause FTE, or will it shoot anything you put in it?

I could ask who has anything in stock, but there's plenty of threads devoted to that problem already. :rolleyes: I'll just figure out what I'm looking for first.

I had an SR9 back in the day and I ran everything through it without a problem. I even ran 1k rounds of Herters steel cased ammo without issue. Makes me regret selling it :sad20:

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    The SR9 wasn't in your original choices, but you found one to fit you hand and they are really nice guns. I rented one and really enjoyed it. You'll be happy!

That I am. :D I finally had a chance to try out my SR9C this week. I put about 100 rounds through it so far, it felt good and everything worked as advertised. I need to work on technique (and possibly adjust the sights) as I put most shots high on the target, but it was consistent and I feel like I'll get better with more practice.

And the thing really couldn't be much easier to disassemble and clean afterwards.

Thanks to all you guys for the advice and encouragement.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The Ruger seems to fit pretty well. Considering your limited handgun experience you did very well.

Work on your trigger control at home and practice with the correct grip. Using a cheap laser attached to the gun while dry firing will allow you to see how you are pulling the shots to the high left. Remember to be absolutely sure the gun is unloaded and that you have no ammo near you while doing this. You wouldn't want to shoot yourself in the big toe. :D

Let me know when you want to come back up to the range.

Attachments

• 20130717_204108-1.jpg
      20130717_204108-1.jpg
      156.9 KB · Views: 125

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Congrats!

Before you start tamping with the sights when it might not be them, but you :D Have a friend try it out and see if they hit the target in the same place you do, or even someone at the range you get in a conversation with.

Have you seen this before?

ETA: Notice it's mostly for a righthand shooter ;)

Attachments

• TargetGuide.gif
      TargetGuide.gif
      32.5 KB · Views: 115

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Congrats!

Before you start tamping with the sights when it might not be them, but you :D Have a friend try it out and see if they hit the target in the same place you do, or even someone at the range you get in a conversation with.

This chart is very helpful.I have been "jerking/slapping the trigger" What is a good adjustment for this? Finger positioning on the trigger? Or is it in the trigger pull itself?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    This chart is very helpful.I have been "jerking/slapping the trigger" What is a good adjustment for this? Finger positioning on the trigger? Or is it in the trigger pull itself?

Dry fire practice with a laser mounted on the gun will help you SEE what you are doing.

Concentrate on a smooth and steady trigger squeeze.

While the chart can be helpful you may find that the lines should be blurred a little. Check out your grip as well, you may be squeezing the grip with your right hand as you pull the trigger.

With a good stance and a proper grip on the gun you shouldn't squeeze the gun but hold it firmly. With your strong hand push the gun gently towards your target while using your weak hand to gently pull the gun back towards your chest. This simple push/pull will close your grip for you without the need to squeeze.

You may also need to relax your thumbs. I see many people pushing their thumbs down to avoid the slide. Unless your thumbs are behind the slide the slide will not hit them.

Here's a picture of the grip I use.

Attachments

• twohandedpistolgrip.jpg
      twohandedpistolgrip.jpg
      7.6 KB · Views: 101
    Last edited:

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Wow, I forgot that I started this thread. Lots of good advice here, thank you to everyone that responded. I wound up buying an SR9. I'm now experiencing the joy of waiting for the MSP to allow me to claim what is mine. I'm guessing I have at least 6 more weeks to go.

In the meantime, I've got no ammo and it's time to fix that problem. My question to all the SR9 owners out there: Is there any particular brand or type that your gun prefers? Anything that is likely to cause FTE, or will it shoot anything you put in it?

I know I'm a little late to this party, but GOOD MOVE!

My wife and I have (and carry) an SR9 and an SR9c, respectively.

Her's has NEVER had a single issue. Mine had one FTF during break in. (1st 50 rds)

We've both been extremely happy with them.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Dry fire practice with a laser mounted on the gun will help you SEE what you are doing.

Concentrate on a smooth and steady trigger squeeze.

While the chart can be helpful you may find that the lines should be blurred a little. Check out your grip as well, you may be squeezing the grip with your right hand as you pull the trigger.

With a good stance and a proper grip on the gun you shouldn't squeeze the gun but hold it firmly. With your strong hand push the gun gently towards your target while using your weak hand to gently pull the gun back towards your chest. This simple push/pull will close your grip for you without the need to squeeze.

You may also need to relax your thumbs. I see many people pushing their thumbs down to avoid the slide. Unless your thumbs are behind the slide the slide will not hit them.

Here's a picture of the grip I use.

Ty very very much :bowdown:
    Sorry to stray on the topic here...btw my vote would be M&P 9mm because I own one and love it. I cant comment on the ruger never shot, or held it.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    That I am. :D I finally had a chance to try out my SR9C this week. I put about 100 rounds through it so far, it felt good and everything worked as advertised. I need to work on technique (and possibly adjust the sights) as I put most shots high on the target, but it was consistent and I feel like I'll get better with more practice.

And the thing really couldn't be much easier to disassemble and clean afterwards.

Thanks to all you guys for the advice and encouragement.

I love mine. Do yourself a favor and tear it down far enough to clean out the striker channel. Many have a fair amount of what looks like brass shavings in there. Cleaning it out has to help striker function.

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    The Ruger seems to fit pretty well. Considering your limited handgun experience you did very well.

Work on your trigger control at home and practice with the correct grip. Using a cheap laser attached to the gun while dry firing will allow you to see how you are pulling the shots to the high left. Remember to be absolutely sure the gun is unloaded and that you have no ammo near you while doing this. You wouldn't want to shoot yourself in the big toe. :D

Let me know when you want to come back up to the range.

Hey, I thought you were going to edit out the mess on the high left of the picture! I only wanted to see the hole in the bullseye. :D

Congrats!

Good idea. Should have had Mdeng try it out. Next time.

I love mine. Do yourself a favor and tear it down far enough to clean out the striker channel. Many have a fair amount of what looks like brass shavings in there. Cleaning it out has to help striker function.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that next time.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Dry fire practice with a laser mounted on the gun will help you SEE what you are doing. "

Watching the front sight is more beneficial and will reinforce the habit of looking at the front sight which is where the focus should be. Laser mounted practice will do just the opposite and cause shooter focus to shift to the target. Call what the sight picture was with each pull dry fire and live fire. Using the chart will help identify where the technique is needs improvement.

Also, 30 good pulls with focused feedback is more beneficial than 100 casual or unfocused pulls - again dry or live fire. You won't know how fatiguing good practice can be until you are immersed in it. So shorter, more frequent practice sessions will be beneficial as well.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    "Dry fire practice with a laser mounted on the gun will help you SEE what you are doing. "

Watching the front sight is more beneficial and will reinforce the habit of looking at the front sight which is where the focus should be. Laser mounted practice will do just the opposite and cause shooter focus to shift to the target. Call what the sight picture was with each pull dry fire and live fire. Using the chart will help identify where the technique is needs improvement.

Also, 30 good pulls with focused feedback is more beneficial than 100 casual or unfocused pulls - again dry or live fire. You won't know how fatiguing good practice can be until you are immersed in it. So shorter, more frequent practice sessions will be beneficial as well.

Point taken on the laser. I really hadn't looked at it from that perspective. You are absolutely correct that front sight focus is essential to accurate shooting.

As an instructor the laser allows me to see what the student is doing and that helps me direct changes for more accurate shooting.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    To everyone, never use that grip with a revolver. All or part of your thumb can be cut/blown off by high-speed venting of hot gases and possibly shrapnel.

You will only have injuries if your thumb is long enough to go forward of the cylinder. I shoot revolvers with a slightly modified grip that keeps my thumb away from the front of the cylinder.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You will only have injuries if your thumb is long enough to go forward of the cylinder. I shoot revolvers with a slightly modified grip that keeps my thumb away from the front of the cylinder.

Still a terrible idea with a revolver. Last injury I saw from a hold like that, a woman blew her thumb completely off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom