Meeting the Retire U.S. Military LEOSA "Weapons Qualification Training" Requirement

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    This is posted for those individuals which have retired from the U.S. Military and desire to obtain their LEOSA Credentials/ID, if they have the required time in the required Military Occupational Specialties (MOS). I was able to obtain the credential/ID, however I needed to complete the “Weapons Qualification Training” portion. The Maryland State Police website is not very helpful when looking to obtain/fulfill the “Weapon Qualification Training”.

The Maryland “Wear and Carry Permit” webpage in the State Police Licensing Division, states you are exempt from the Maryland State Police approved firearms training course and Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets their criteria. This does not apply to the LEOSA Credential/ID. If you are a Maryland resident you could obtain the “Weapons Qualification Training”, from the local sheriff department if they permit it. Maryland State Police will not provide such training. That responsibility rests with Maryland’s Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services. Additional information and class application may be found at https://mdle.net/firearms_A.htm. I hope you find this information useful.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You forgot the most important part, is where those qualified can get that military qualified id card.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Sir, I was focusing on the "Weapon Qualification Training portion. However, to obtain the credentials itself, that all depends on the individual's Branch of Service. For mine it was https://leosaairforce.com/, I did some research and the navy's appears to be https://leosanavy.com/. The following is for the Army, https://leosaarmy.com/. And finally for the Coast Guard, it is https://leosacoastguard.com/. I can only assume the U.S. Space Force and U.S. Marines would be found under their parent branch. All are handled by Defense Consulting Services, LLC. Refer to the branch respective webpage for cost. When I did mine they provided me with a Promo Code to use and that dropped the price

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Many options to meet the annual training requirement-

Example (CA) - Any nationally recognized instructor-

If you are not able to qualify with the agency you retired from, then you can qualify under the protocol established by the state in which you live. If your state has not set up a protocol and your agency does not qualify its retired officers or you live in a different state now, the law says, "...or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met—"

In simple terms, any certified firearms instructor who can administer an active law enforcement qualification by state standards can qualify you in your state if a protocol has not been established.

Attachments

• Live Fire Courses.doc.pdf
      77.1 KB · Views: 14

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Many options to meet the annual training requirement-

Example (CA) - Any nationally recognized instructor-

If you are not able to qualify with the agency you retired from, then you can qualify under the protocol established by the state in which you live. If your state has not set up a protocol and your agency does not qualify its retired officers or you live in a different state now, the law says, "...or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met—"

In simple terms, any certified firearms instructor who can administer an active law enforcement qualification by state standards can qualify you in your state if a protocol has not been established.
    You have to qualify in the state you reside.
    If you qualify on Monday in Maryland as a resident and move to Pa on Tuesday, you then have to qualify there. Your year cert doesn't follow you.

Maryland has no "certified" private trainers. Meaning, no one can take you to some indoor range and qualify you privately.

All Maryland agencies have, of course, state certified law enforcement officer qualification courses.

You have to call around and ask.
    The main ones who qualify outside agencies are few and far between.
    Charles county SO and St. Mary's county used to. But since the onslaught of LEOSA now, they can barely keep up with their own retired.

PG county community college and MPCTC in Sykesville does. I don't recall them shooting any military tho.
    I can ask on the 14th.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    You have to qualify in the state you reside.
    If you qualify on Monday in Maryland as a resident and move to Pa on Tuesday, you then have to qualify there. Your year cert doesn't follow you.
    Citation, please? Where is that in HR 218?
    Maryland has no "certified" private trainers. Meaning, no one can take you to some indoor range and qualify you privately.
    False. Any QHIC or QHIL instructor can run a LEOSA eligible retiree through the MPTC course. By federal law.
    All Maryland agencies have, of course, state certified law enforcement officer qualification courses.
    True, as far as I know. The challenge exists for federal retired and out-of-state retirees.
    PG county community college and MPCTC in Sykesville does. I don't recall them shooting any military tho.
    I can ask on the 14th.

LEOSA in a nutshell

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA); also known as HR 218, begins as follows:

“Amends the Federal criminal code to authorize a qualified law enforcement officer carrying photographic governmental agency identification to carry a concealed firearm, notwithstanding any State or local law…” – Summary: H.R.218 – 108th Congress

The act allows LEOs to carry concealed firearms almost anywhere in the US and US territories. Qualified officers may do this regardless of state or local law (with some exceptions).

It applies to qualified law enforcement officers of two classes: active, and “retired or separated.”

As it should, the law is continuing to evolve. Since passing in 2004, Congress has amended the act twice. In both 2010 and 2013, reforms expanded and clarified LEOSA. And as of February 2021, a new LEOSA Reform Act is being considered in Congress.

Qualification requirements

To qualify, the active law enforcement officer must meet a list of criteria. They need full authorization from their agency to carry and use a firearm. They must have a total of 10 or more years of law enforcement service. And they may be under no disciplinary action, among certain other requirements.

The qualified officer must apply for and carry a LEOSA photographic identification card.

The benefits

LEOSA helps create consistency and security for law enforcement officers. In turn, it does the same for the civilians around them. According to Police1.com, “[LEOSA] was intended to improve response to threats in public..." Further, it allows "LEOs to protect themselves against criminals they may have had past dealings with.”

An officer with a valid LEOSA permit is not required to have a state-issued conceal carry permit. (Though some recommend carrying both, just in case.)

Law enforcement groups supported and celebrated the passing of LEOSA. Associations like Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA), believe it validates critical rights.

"LEOSA was enacted in 2004 as a clear federal right…to allow retired and former law enforcement officers to act as a force multiplier in our nation, especially when crimes, such as active shooters, seem to occur without notice and in benign situations." - Larry Cosme, President, Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA)

-----------

(B) paragraph (2)--
    (i) in subparagraph (A), by striking
    ``retired'' and inserting ``separated''; and
    (ii) in subparagraph (B), by striking ``that
    indicates'' and all that follows through the
    period and inserting ``or by a certified firearms
    instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms
    qualification test for active duty officers within
    that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year
    before the date the individual is carrying the
    concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found
    by the State or a certified firearms instructor
    that is qualified to conduct a firearms
    that State to have met--
    ``(I) the active duty standards for
    qualification in firearms training, as
    established by the State, to carry a
    firearm of the same type as the
    concealed firearm; or
    ``(II) if the State has not
    established such standards, standards
    set by any law enforcement agency within
    that State to carry a firearm of the
    same type as the concealed firearm.'

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Retired Police Officer Firearms LEOSA HR-218​

HR-218, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), is a program specifically geared for eligible retired law enforcement officers. This program provides attendees with the required classroom instruction and firearms qualification.

Training for county residents costs $105 for one weapon and $110 for two weapons. Additional fees for out-of-county residents will apply. Cost includes ammunition for .38 cal, 9mm, or .40 cal firearms. Classes are held monthly.

To qualify, candidates must meet the following requirements:

• Retired from a local, state, or federal law enforcement agency.
    • Had statutory powers of arrest.
    • Authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution, and incarceration of any person in violation of the law.
    • Separated in good standing with a government agency as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more; or
    • Separated from the said agency due to service-connected disabilities after completing any applicable probationary period of service.
    • Met the standards established by the agency, which require the employees to regularly qualify for firearm use.
    • Not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm.

Additional requirements:

• Must be a Maryland resident.
    • Must be able to demonstrate firearm proficiency and accuracy.

Contact Information

Municipal Police Academy
    Phone: 301-546-0175
    Email: policeacademy@pgcc.edu

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Citation, please? Where is that in HR 218?

False. Any QHIC or QHIL instructor can run a LEOSA eligible retiree through the MPTC course. By federal law.

True, as far as I know. The challenge exists for federal retired and out-of-state retirees.

LEOSA in a nutshell

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA); also known as HR 218, begins as follows:

“Amends the Federal criminal code to authorize a qualified law enforcement officer carrying photographic governmental agency identification to carry a concealed firearm, notwithstanding any State or local law…” – Summary: H.R.218 – 108th Congress

The act allows LEOs to carry concealed firearms almost anywhere in the US and US territories. Qualified officers may do this regardless of state or local law (with some exceptions).

It applies to qualified law enforcement officers of two classes: active, and “retired or separated.”

As it should, the law is continuing to evolve. Since passing in 2004, Congress has amended the act twice. In both 2010 and 2013, reforms expanded and clarified LEOSA. And as of February 2021, a new LEOSA Reform Act is being considered in Congress.

Qualification requirements

To qualify, the active law enforcement officer must meet a list of criteria. They need full authorization from their agency to carry and use a firearm. They must have a total of 10 or more years of law enforcement service. And they may be under no disciplinary action, among certain other requirements.

The qualified officer must apply for and carry a LEOSA photographic identification card.

The benefits

LEOSA helps create consistency and security for law enforcement officers. In turn, it does the same for the civilians around them. According to Police1.com, “[LEOSA] was intended to improve response to threats in public..." Further, it allows "LEOs to protect themselves against criminals they may have had past dealings with.”

An officer with a valid LEOSA permit is not required to have a state-issued conceal carry permit. (Though some recommend carrying both, just in case.)

Law enforcement groups supported and celebrated the passing of LEOSA. Associations like Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA), believe it validates critical rights.

"LEOSA was enacted in 2004 as a clear federal right…to allow retired and former law enforcement officers to act as a force multiplier in our nation, especially when crimes, such as active shooters, seem to occur without notice and in benign situations." - Larry Cosme, President, Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA)

-----------

(B) paragraph (2)--
    (i) in subparagraph (A), by striking
    ``retired'' and inserting ``separated''; and
    (ii) in subparagraph (B), by striking ``that
    indicates'' and all that follows through the
    period and inserting ``or by a certified firearms
    instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms
    that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year
    before the date the individual is carrying the
    concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found
    by the State or a certified firearms instructor
    that is qualified to conduct a firearms
    that State to have met--
    ``(I) the active duty standards for
    qualification in firearms training, as
    established by the State, to carry a
    firearm of the same type as the
    concealed firearm; or
    ``(II) if the State has not
    established such standards, standards
    set by any law enforcement agency within
    that State to carry a firearm of the
    same type as the concealed firearm.'
    Is all this what you go by when you seek out your LEOSA qual?

Cite what? I said Maryland has no private LEOSA instructors. Find me one who does it.
    I did have one qual me in PA, because that is such a thing the state allows.

Why don't all the firearms training IP's here advertise they can qual LEOSA? They are all QHIC.

Let me tell you how this all works. States didn't give a shit. They do what they want.
    LEOSA also doesn't say you either qualify with a semi auto or a revolver. It said firearm. Most states you either qualify with 1 or the other or both. And it's stated on your card which one you shot with.

You should be able to shoot it with what you want and carry either, or.

I'm going on my 6th LEOSA year shooting quals.

How long have you been doing it?

Oh. And take all that gobble de gook you " cited ", and tell New Jersey that's how LEOSA works.

There is no "challenge" for federal or out of state retirees.

There are no out of state retirees, because you have to be a resident of the state in which you qualify.

I'm federal and I've had no problem shooting 2 times with Charles county SO, or my 3rd time coming up with MPTC "The State", in Sykesville or 2 times with private instructors as a resident of Pennsylvania.

Tell me, what's the challenge?

You should probably stop citing shit of which you have zero experience with and telling people what they can or how they can do something.

Last edited:

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I believe the Maryland Police Training Commission in Skysville holds open LEOSA firearms qualifications. Most if not all of the State law enforcement agencies only certify their retirees.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I believe the Maryland Police Training Commission in Skysville holds open LEOSA firearms qualifications. Most if not all of the State law enforcement agencies only certify their retirees.
    This is awesome to know! Still got a few years lol (9 minimum) but this isn’t far! Thanks dude!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Once you get in you need to stay in the queue. The yearly schedule comes out in February and it's a rush to lock in your qual date.
    10 morning slots and 10 afternoon slots. Tuesday and Thursday iirc.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is awesome to know! Still got a few years lol (9 minimum) but this isn’t far! Thanks dude!
    Bro, I'm pretty sure you can't. You'll need to do yours in DC. The state specifies State of Maryland agencies and Federal. Like I don't think they do military either.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    You're a lawyer? Then sue the state if you think you have a case.
    ??? What "case?" You aren't making any sense at all. States do not regulate Federal law.
    (Perhaps you spent too much time with the ATSACS)
    You obviously never had to research when and where you can get a LEOSA qual.
    To the contrary- I've POSTED the various resources available to LEOSA eligible folks in MD.

Meanwhile, you've posted bogus information and have failed to provide legal citations to support your thoughts.

----------
    Sometimes, your advice on tactics and marksmanship are spot on, and reflect well on your past instructors. Othertimes, you launch sideways on incomprehensible tangents- like LEOSA.

Enjoy your day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom