Help out the new guy - Ruger or Smith & Wesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    So I'm looking to buy my first gun. I've done a little shopping at local shops, as well as checking out what I can on the net, and narrowed it down to handful of choices - S&W SD9 or M&P9, or the Ruger P95. Which one of these choices would you go for?

I'm drooling over the M&P, that's what I'd prefer to get, but I'm on a budget (Who isn't?) and the extra $200 difference from the SD9 to the M&P9 is hard to ignore. I'm hoping to stay under $400. The Ruger is priced right around $400, and felt pretty good in my hands. Not as comfortable a grip as the M&P, but still pretty good. Plus I liked the sights on the Ruger.

The other option is to get the .22 M&P. I'd rather have the 9mm but the .22 is closer to the right price, plus it would make it easier to get my wife try going to the range when I tell her there's no recoil whatsoever. That will be my biggest challenge - getting her to try it at least once.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Wait a little longer and save up the extra cash for the M&P. You will be much happier, as the M&P is far above the quality of the other two. Buy once, cry once.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    This is always a hard question to answer. You on the one hand have a preference, yet you don't want to leap at the wrong one. First gun is the one that tells you more about what you like and in time leads you to the one, or several, that you really like.

The Ruger grip is too fat for my little hands, so I'd go with S&W. Of those 2 I think you'd be happier with the M&P9.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have a P95 and love it. But I also haven't shot anything else. So I can't really compare. What I have learned is that as my bank account grows, I will feed my addiction by buying new guns. So I like the mantra of buy once, cry once, but I also realize almost no one buys only once.

My advice is to go to a range and try each one. After 50 rounds, you should know which one fits you best.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    The P series guns are built like tanks but are somewhat dated compared to other current offerings. Have you checked out the Ruger SR series? There are actually several really good choices in the price range of those you've asked about. Or...perhaps consider a nice LE trade-in form an Industry Partner. Regardless, +1 on the advice about shooting a few before you buy!

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    FYI, the new S&W SD9 VE (not the old Sigma -- the new one) is a nice gun for the money. It feels really nice in your hand. The trigger lends itself to people with small hands or short fingers, though. That's my main gripe. I have big hands.

And I also agree -- buy a LEO trade-in of a gun you want, if the money is right, and the gun is what you want.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If the S&W M&P 9 is your preferred gun don't get anything else. You will always wish you had purchased the M&P instead of the SD9.

It's already been said but maybe you should hear it again.

Have you considered purchasing the gun used? You can save a considerable amount of money on a gently used gun and even more on a LE trade in. Check with Lou45 at Shooters Discount, he may have one in stock. I purchased my M&P 9 from Lou about 6 months ago and it has become one of my preferred guns to take to the range.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The P series guns are built like tanks but are somewhat dated compared to other current offerings. Have you checked out the Ruger SR series? There are actually several really good choices in the price range of those you've asked about. Or...perhaps consider a nice LE trade-in form an Industry Partner. Regardless, +1 on the advice about shooting a few before you buy!

Good suggestion.

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    I was in the same boat you were. I started out getting the M&P 22, good gun. But now I want the M&P 9.

I went with the 22 first though, as it was my first hand gun, and I wanted to learn some basics.

If money is a factor now or in the future. I would save a little more to get the M&P 9, so you get what you seem to really want. :party29:

walstib

Jul 4, 2010
    havre de grace
    1st gun

of the choices i'd go with the m&p. but i'd recomend stopping by one of the local indoor ranges they rent guns and you can get a good deal on a used gun.but you get to shoot it before you buy one reduces stress.good luck:thumbsup:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I would go M&P. However, try out a Ruger SR9. Most people don't even mention them but they are great guns for around $400 new.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    You mentioned the M&P .22 as an option, I have one and its's a great gun for the money. It would also be an excellent gun for your wife to start out with!

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    So I'm looking to buy my first gun. I've done a little shopping at local shops, as well as checking out what I can on the net, and narrowed it down to handful of choices - S&W SD9 or M&P9, or the Ruger P95. Which one of these choices would you go for?

I'm drooling over the M&P, that's what I'd prefer to get, but I'm on a budget (Who isn't?) and the extra $200 difference from the SD9 to the M&P9 is hard to ignore. I'm hoping to stay under $400. The Ruger is priced right around $400, and felt pretty good in my hands. Not as comfortable a grip as the M&P, but still pretty good. Plus I liked the sights on the Ruger.

The other option is to get the .22 M&P. I'd rather have the 9mm but the .22 is closer to the right price, plus it would make it easier to get my wife try going to the range when I tell her there's no recoil whatsoever. That will be my biggest challenge - getting her to try it at least once.
    If you want the M&P9, save and get it. I have two. Regular an compact. I love them both. My wife has shot it too. They'll get used to it. Don't worry about the recoil. You don't to say, I should have got the M&( later.

Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    I'm a Ruger guy and will stick with my SR.

With that said, if you're looking for a little flexibility, then perhaps the M&P may be best for you. You can get the 9mm option, and then by the .22lr wep to do most of your training with.

p.s. Still can't figure out why Ruger chose to build the Walther clone instead of a .22lr version of the SR line.

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. As some folks mentioned, it would really do me good to actually shoot a few of these to get a better feel for it. As it stands, I've held these three choices in the store and got a feel for the balance and whether I liked the grip, but that's a poor substitute for shooting them.

I'm really leaning towards the M&P, it's just budget that's holding me back. I'll definitely check out the SR9 before doing anything. I didn't give it a second look because I was wanted standard size vs. compact; the compacts all felt too small in my hand. But if it's getting recommendations here it's worth looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom