• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    They were giving away cable locks. Of course they were not MD-required OMEGA locks. I pointed that out and the officer said "I'm sorry they don't meet your requirements." I reminded him that the cable lock was fine with me, but the law he has to enforce says that it is not good enough for a MD regulated gun.

I would have loved to seen the look on his face when you told him that! :lol2:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    There's something wrong about giving away a free gun lock that doesn't meet the state mandated requirements for a new gun being sold. I think it's good that they are giving them away although someone who is too poor or lazy or stupid to secure their firearm probably will not have the ambition to take advantage of the give away.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Observer report:

I saw several people park their cars and try to walk bags (in at least one case, literally a plastic shopping bag) of handguns in to the "amnesty" area. These were not locked, in the trunk, with the magazines removed. Anyone who owns firearms RESPONSIBLY knows that is against the law, right? I guess the police were not enforcing all the laws today.

Also, I was told that I would be arrested for trying to "conduct business" in the street. I was challenged for a "county peddler's license. I was told this while standing literally just yards from 2 Pizza Hut employees who were selling single slices to people waiting in their cars.

I know that there will probably be pictures with rocket launchers and AKs and shiny, menacing-looking Saturday Night Specials, but most of the folks I offered $125 to were dumping broken .22s and rusty single shotguns.

So HoCo is safe from old rusty guns waiting to jump out of peoples' closets or out of basements, but you take your chances when it comes to health codes.

Although it was supposed to be for HoCo residents only, there were people from all over the place in that line.

I am very, very saddened by this thing. I went there feeling like I was showing the flag for +2A but left feeling like some kind of sleazeball criminal in the eyes of the Sheeple who were all drunk on the "this is about safety" Kool-Aid.

Although it is just simple economics, I respectfully take issue with those who took the opportunity to make a few bucks off your old POS guns; while it helped in the short term, in the long term it is going to end up costing all of us. Every junker adds to their numbers, and those numbers are political spin. It does not help us right now. I know times are tough, and $100 is $100, and no I don't have a bunch of cash either. But remember that $100 when you get a 3% increase on your property tax, or 12% on your gas tax, or 2% on your sales tax...etc.

If there is another one of these buybacks, I would love to see more of us out there to ask questions like:
    Where is the money coming from?
    Are they investigating possible crimes or thefts?
    Do any of the people turning in a gun want a free safety lesson on the proper use and storage of a handgun?

We MUST hold these clowns accountable for what they are doing. We cannot afford to be a silent majority.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Sig63- if you didn't take the time to learn where the money came from then shame on you, bro. It came from seized drug assets. I agree with you that they spin this as a raging success, but that's politics. I'm just trying to enjoy the decline.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Sig63- if you didn't take the time to learn where the money came

I did, and I know they said it came from "seized drug assets." I doubt there was that much money raked in from meth-lab millionaires, cocaine distribution kingpins, or pot peddlers with Lamborginis in "Civil" HoCo. But even if all of the money passed out today was from that source, would't it be better off going towards, oh, I dunno...citizen education programs? Pothole repairs?

that's politics. I'm just trying to enjoy the decline.

I don't begrudge people for making an honest buck. The problem with "free money from the government" is that the little bit of "feel good" money we get costs a LOT more in terms of taxes and rights.

fd0816

Oct 26, 2012
    Howard County
    HOWARD COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
    NEWS RELEASE
    March 16, 2013

Residents turn in more than 600 weapons in gun buyback event

Howard County’s first Gun Buyback Safety Day in 18 years resulted in 631 weapons being collected from county residents today.

“The tremendous turnout today shows that many people have firearms in their homes that they don't want or need,” said Howard County Executive Ken Ulman. “There are now hundreds of fewer rifles and handguns in Howard County that could fall into the hands of children or thieves and cause real damage. There are now hundreds more cable locks in the hands of responsible gun owners to prevent accidental firings. Howard County came together today to make our community safer."

“Clearly there was an interest and a need in our community for an event like this,” said Police Chief William J. McMahon. “We appreciate everyone’s patience as they waited on line to dispose of their unwanted guns. Our citizens rely on us to keep them safe and today they played a huge part in aiding us in that mission.”

Residents were offered the opportunity to anonymously remove unwanted guns from their homes and make $100 cash at the same time. In all, police collected 314 handguns, 168 rifles, 149 shot guns, in addition to miscellaneous BB guns and ammunition. Approximately $63,000 was distributed. The county also distributed more than 200 free guns locks, courtesy of the Howard County Police Foundation. Information on gun safety was also distributed.

Vehicles began lining up at the Dorsey Building two hours before the event’s scheduled start time of 11 a.m. The event continued with a steady stream of participants through 4 p.m.

Each gun will be run through a database to determine if it was ever stolen. For any stolen weapon, police
    will conduct an investigation, including a test-fire, to determine if it was ever used in a known crime. Once the investigation is complete, police will attempt to return each gun to its rightful, legal owner.

The $100 payments were made from asset forfeiture funds seized in drug investigations.

The county last hosted a gun buyback in 1995, when three guns were turn in. Another event in 1994 resulted in 15 guns.

Police remind residents they can turn in unwanted weapons at any time by calling 410-313-2200. While they will not receive payment, the measure will help ensure public safety.

###

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    HOWARD COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
    NEWS RELEASE
    March 16, 2013

Residents turn in more than 600 weapons in gun buyback event

Howard County’s first Gun Buyback Safety Day in 18 years resulted in 631 weapons being collected from county residents today.

“The tremendous turnout today shows that many people have firearms in their homes that they don't want or need,” said Howard County Executive Ken Ulman. “There are now hundreds of fewer rifles and handguns in Howard County that could fall into the hands of children or thieves and cause real damage. There are now hundreds more cable locks in the hands of responsible gun owners to prevent accidental firings. Howard County came together today to make our community safer."

“Clearly there was an interest and a need in our community for an event like this,” said Police Chief William J. McMahon. “We appreciate everyone’s patience as they waited on line to dispose of their unwanted guns. Our citizens rely on us to keep them safe and today they played a huge part in aiding us in that mission.”

Residents were offered the opportunity to anonymously remove unwanted guns from their homes and make $100 cash at the same time. In all, police collected 314 handguns, 168 rifles, 149 shot guns, in addition to miscellaneous BB guns and ammunition. Approximately $63,000 was distributed. The county also distributed more than 200 free guns locks, courtesy of the Howard County Police Foundation. Information on gun safety was also distributed.

Vehicles began lining up at the Dorsey Building two hours before the event’s scheduled start time of 11 a.m. The event continued with a steady stream of participants through 4 p.m.

Each gun will be run through a database to determine if it was ever stolen. For any stolen weapon, police
    will conduct an investigation, including a test-fire, to determine if it was ever used in a known crime. Once the investigation is complete, police will attempt to return each gun to its rightful, legal owner.

The $100 payments were made from asset forfeiture funds seized in drug investigations.

The county last hosted a gun buyback in 1995, when three guns were turn in. Another event in 1994 resulted in 15 guns.

Police remind residents they can turn in unwanted weapons at any time by calling 410-313-2200. While they will not receive payment, the measure will help ensure public safety.

###

Ugh, now I feel dirty. This is straight propaganda.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Ugh, now I feel dirty. This is straight propaganda.

Right. Obviously us good folks in Howard County have no use for firearms. After all, we practice civility.

At least your loot is getting recycled for more guns. :thumbsup:

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    I went to pick up a couple of free locks. As I approached Bendix Rd. I saw that there.was a double line of cars backed up all the way to Rt108. I figured the wait would have to be at least 2 hours. I kept driving to the next left and checked my gps to see if there was another road that went near the building. There was at the rear of another office park. So I just drove there and the back of one parking lot met the back of the parking lot where the event was being held. Parked my car walked over and picked up 2 locks. Took all of 3 minutes. And that included talking to a guy in his car waiting in line laughing his ass off because he was turning in 2 old black powder rifles and getting $200. I would have been pissed if I waited for 2 hours to get a lock that was not "approved"

ImplantedComa

Mar 30, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD
    I hate to be a "safety snob"/"Tattle-Tail" but the picture of the handguns that they collected on their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/HowardCountyPoliceDepartment) have most of their slides locked back and their chambers open (good), but the magazines for the semi-autos are still in their mag wells, one of the pocket semi-autos is still in battery and they are pointing in all different directions (bad).:sad20:

Anything for a super sweet PR shot of all of those scary guns.:sad20:

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Uhlman has the potential to be worse than O'Malley if he runs for governor. If that is possible. Money is no object for Ulman. He buys the best of everything green with our money as if he has a blank check.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Observer report:

I saw several people park their cars and try to walk bags (in at least one case, literally a plastic shopping bag) of handguns in to the "amnesty" area. These were not locked, in the trunk, with the magazines removed. Anyone who owns firearms RESPONSIBLY knows that is against the law, right? I guess the police were not enforcing all the laws today.

Also, I was told that I would be arrested for trying to "conduct business" in the street. I was challenged for a "county peddler's license. I was told this while standing literally just yards from 2 Pizza Hut employees who were selling single slices to people waiting in their cars.

I know that there will probably be pictures with rocket launchers and AKs and shiny, menacing-looking Saturday Night Specials, but most of the folks I offered $125 to were dumping broken .22s and rusty single shotguns.

So HoCo is safe from old rusty guns waiting to jump out of peoples' closets or out of basements, but you take your chances when it comes to health codes.

Although it was supposed to be for HoCo residents only, there were people from all over the place in that line.

I am very, very saddened by this thing. I went there feeling like I was showing the flag for +2A but left feeling like some kind of sleazeball criminal in the eyes of the Sheeple who were all drunk on the "this is about safety" Kool-Aid.

Although it is just simple economics, I respectfully take issue with those who took the opportunity to make a few bucks off your old POS guns; while it helped in the short term, in the long term it is going to end up costing all of us. Every junker adds to their numbers, and those numbers are political spin. It does not help us right now. I know times are tough, and $100 is $100, and no I don't have a bunch of cash either. But remember that $100 when you get a 3% increase on your property tax, or 12% on your gas tax, or 2% on your sales tax...etc.

If there is another one of these buybacks, I would love to see more of us out there to ask questions like:
    Where is the money coming from?
    Are they investigating possible crimes or thefts?
    Do any of the people turning in a gun want a free safety lesson on the proper use and storage of a handgun?

We MUST hold these clowns accountable for what they are doing. We cannot afford to be a silent majority.

Jeff???

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Such a shame.

Attachments

• MAXIMUMFEELS.jpg
      MAXIMUMFEELS.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 174

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics