• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Question...

In MD, the ownership of a handgun or a regulated long gun is assigned to a specific person.

So, at some future date, for whatever reason, the owner of that firearm is challenged by police on the location of that firearm and since this was anonymous and no paperwork was done on the "transfer" how would that person prove that they were no longer in possession of the firearm?

I can't see how this was legal. HoCo PD is not an FFL. I would never "hand over" a regulated firearm without a very good paper trail, police department or not.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I can't see how this was legal. HoCo PD is not an FFL. I would never "hand over" a regulated firearm without a very good paper trail, police department or not.

Someone posted that the police werent "buying" them, just providing a place where they can be securely dropped off or something like that.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Someone posted that the police weren't "buying" them, just providing a place where they can be securely dropped off or something like that.

Which is bull**** legalese and word games that the left loves to play. If I let you "drop off" a regulated firearm "safely" at my house for a "cash reward," we'd go to jail.

More 'do as I say, not as I do' nonsense.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." ~Thomas Jefferson

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Someone posted that the police werent "buying" them, just providing a place where they can be securely dropped off or something like that.

Lol, I'll make that same argument to the police. "I wasn't buying a regulated firearm for $100, I was going to dispose of it". These morons think firearms are virtually unregulated when in fact they are probably the most regulated goods in the country. Honestly, that in itself sends a false signal to the uninformed public.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Honestly, I was trying to separate the barrel and receiver from a very, very old Marlin 81 clone and was asking myself, "Why the hell didn't I go to Howard Co yesterday?" I got the rifle for nothing and it fires, but doesn't load properly. It's worth $40 in the shape it's in.

Dammit! lol

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Honestly, I was trying to separate the barrel and receiver from a very, very old Marlin 81 clone and was asking myself, "Why the hell didn't I go to Howard Co yesterday?" I got the rifle for nothing and it fires, but doesn't load properly. It's worth $40 in the shape it's in.

Dammit! lol

I think there's a thread about a buy-back going on in PG on the 23rd.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Which is bull**** legalese and word games that the left loves to play. If I let you "drop off" a regulated firearm "safely" at my house for a "cash reward," we'd go to jail.

More 'do as I say, not as I do' nonsense.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." ~Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, I can't wait until BO and Holder announce one at the federal level, and call it "Cash for Clunkers..."

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Thanks for mentioning it.
    Only $50 for rifles?
    Not as good as HC's haha.

I'm sure other counties will do the same crap.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I can't wait post a pic of what I'm using my buy back money for. Hint: semi auto 7.62x54r. Hell yeah!! HoC Gov will be so happy for me, I'm sure!

sgtjunk

Aug 5, 2012
    Crofton, MD
    Aren't they still winning if people participate in this? I mean, I understand trying to use the government for some free dough but I think by participating we're just helping further their agenda, yes?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    If registration ever becomes an issue, I traded in everything I own to the Howard County PD this weekend :innocent0

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Aren't they still winning if people participate in this? I mean, I understand trying to use the government for some free dough but I think by participating we're just helping further their agenda, yes?

I think the same thing. Even just taking the free money the government is stupidly handing out is shortsighted...they will get it all back and more in sales tax, ammo tax, registration fees, FOID fees, evil gunowner license fees...etc.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If registration ever becomes an issue, I traded in everything I own to the Howard County PD this weekend :innocent0

This is where I'm going with my previous post.

Let's say that someone "legitimately" disposed of a regulated firearm at this thing this weekend. At some future date, you become a disqualified individual for whatever the reason of the week is and MSP shows up on your doorstep with an order to produce that firearm because it was registered to you and they want it.

You say that you turned it in at a gun buyback (which sounds an awful lot like lost it in a boating accident) and all you have as evidence is that paper receipt that anyone can buy at Staples.

Only thing you could do then is to pray that the HoCo people keep good records of which firearms were turned in.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is where I'm going with my previous post.

Let's say that someone "legitimately" disposed of a regulated firearm at this thing this weekend. At some future date, you become a disqualified individual for whatever the reason of the week is and MSP shows up on your doorstep with an order to produce that firearm because it was registered to you and they want it.

You say that you turned it in at a gun buyback (which sounds an awful lot like lost it in a boating accident) and all you have as evidence is that paper receipt that anyone can buy at Staples.

Only thing you could do then is to pray that the HoCo people keep good records of which firearms were turned in.

Doesn't work that way. You do not have to prove how you disposed of your guns to prove that you did not have to register them. If caught with a gun that should be registered, you would have to show proof that it has been registered. I am too tired right now to elaborate further though.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Doesn't work that way. You do not have to prove how you disposed of your guns to prove that you did not have to register them. If caught with a gun that should be registered, you would have to show proof that it has been registered. I am too tired right now to elaborate further though.

I'm speaking of a firearm that was already in the system. Any regulated firearm that was purchased in Maryland is already registered.

Your name is attached to it. "They" come looking for it for whatever reason that you are now a disqualified individual.

The onus is on you to prove that you are no longer in possession of the firearm. How do you prove it?

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    I spent 2 hours and turned in 2 old single shot shotguns and got 200 bucks to buy more ammo and a new fishing pole. I spoke to a couple of police officers and they were sick to see some of the guns coming in. The one cop said "this is some ********"

He saw a colt single action army that he thinks could have been a Museum piece. They also said there were several other really nice guns turned in and that they would be chopped and melted down.

I saw several nice bolt action rifles with scopes being turned in and was just like WOW ! They looked at my shotguns and told me I was getting my monies worth :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm speaking of a firearm that was already in the system. Any regulated firearm that was purchased in Maryland is already registered.

Your name is attached to it. "They" come looking for it for whatever reason that you are now a disqualified individual.

The onus is on you to prove that you are no longer in possession of the firearm. How do you prove it?

What makes you think the onus is on you to prove that you no longer own the firearm? Where does it say that in the law. They can come to your house and ask you about the firearm. They might even be able to get a search warrant to search the house for the firearm(s) if you are not able to legally possess them anymore. However, what makes you think that just because you purchased a firearm and registered it with the State of Maryland that the onus is on you to prove that you no longer own it versus on the state to prove that you are still in possession of it. There is no law in the State of Maryland that requires you to notify MSP and provide supporting documentation that the firearm was transferred. I would argue that the burden of proof is on the state to show that you still possess the firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom