• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I flew with my first C & R-purchased handgun up from N. Carolina to BWI on Southwest. The counter staff was an older-looking woman who seemed to be experienced but I was careful to use the words, "I need to declare my gun" (not pistol, handgun) before placing it on the counter. She was very nonchalant about it, probably had done it hundreds of times down there.

Friendly, helpful, no problems whatsoever.

In your case, I would let the airlines know about the clerk in question and suggest some additional training. HER panic and reaction had the potential to create a lot of problems.....

I flew SW from my home airport in Ft. Lauderdale to BWI. I had checked with SW a few times before my flight to make sure I did everything EXACTLY as required. I was told that once declaring at the check in counter that I was transporting handguns I would be taken off to the side to inspect that the weapons were unloaded. While there was no panic on the part of SW staff they insisted that I open my gun case for inspection at the check in counter.

This did cause quite a stir with the other passengers waiting to check their bags.

Everything arrived at BWI safe and sound.

Crisium

I have a title?
    I have mixed feeling about being asked to show that a firearm is empty. On one hand, it would be fun to "snap some steel" at an airport. On the other hand, I rather not handle (an unloaded) firearm when it's not really necessary. So far, I've never been asked to take it out of the case.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Just to make sure, it is legal for an average Maryland citizen, no CCA, not law enforcement, etc., to transport my handgun from Frederick to BWI, in a TSA approved and locked container and check it on an airplane by declaring it as noted in this thread?

Yes. Attached is a letter from DOJ saying FOPA applies when in transit without stops.

IANAL.

Attachments

• DOJltrTSA.pdf
      235.5 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads