• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    how do you prevent the TSA from stealing your gun, when they open the checked bag. You won't know it is missing until you arrive at your destination.
    Lots of things stolen from checked bags during TSA inspections

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Simple. I bought a cable at the hardware store that has loops in each end. You can pass the cable through the tubes for your pull handle inside your suitcase and padlock the cable to your pistol case.

Google "Mac's guide to flying with firearms" for great pics of how to do this. It's a Glocktakl thread and very helpful

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    how do you prevent the TSA from stealing your gun, when they open the checked bag. You won't know it is missing until you arrive at your destination.
    Lots of things stolen from checked bags during TSA inspections

The bag is locked (sealed) in front of the TSA agent. By law, you must use a secure lock that the TSA cannot open.

No one opens the bag after it is inspected in front of you and sealed. This is one of the reasons I almost always fly with a firearm or prop.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not quite right. Thr pistol case is locked with a lock only you have access to (key or combo). Your luggage may only be locked with a TSA style lock that TSA can open. If you lock your luggage with any other lock, in many cases TSA will cut it off which they can legally do. IMO using your own lock on the outside of your bag arouses TSA suspicion anyway. I stopped locking my bags because TSA even removed my TSA approved locks

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Not quite right. Thr pistol case is locked with a lock only you have access to (key or combo). Your luggage may only be locked with a TSA style lock that TSA can open. If you lock your luggage with any other lock, in many cases TSA will cut it off which they can legally do. IMO using your own lock on the outside of your bag arouses TSA suspicion anyway. I stopped locking my bags because TSA even removed my TSA approved locks

haha locks are silly...

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

I fly with a large pelican case for rifles that gets locked with 4 huge padlocks. No one opens the case after it is inspected in front of me. The case is delivered to me where luggage is claimed upon arrival at the destination.

I also travel with a hard pistol case I place inside a soft sided suitcase.

Both are inspected upon declaring the firearm. The pistol case is placed inside the suitcase.

The suitcase is then locked with a non-TSA approved lock.

The suit case has never been opened for inspection (why would it - it's already been inspected?)

The locks have never been cut off, not have I ever been paged to come unlock the suitcase.

The

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Agreed on the large pelican case. I can't tell you how many times I've opened my luggage to find a TSA card inside telling me they conducted a secondary search. If I had non TSA approved locks on the bag, they'd been cut off. No point in putting outside non TSA locks on a bag IMO.. based on my experience. I used to fly several times a month on business but no longer.

YMMV.

From TSA web site

Baggage Locks

TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I fly with a large pelican case for rifles that gets locked with 4 huge padlocks. No one opens the case after it is inspected in front of me. The case is delivered to me where luggage is claimed upon arrival at the destination.

I also travel with a hard pistol case I place inside a soft sided suitcase.

Both are inspected upon declaring the firearm. The pistol case is placed inside the suitcase.

The suitcase is then locked with a non-TSA approved lock.

The suit case has never been opened for inspection (why would it - it's already been inspected?)

The locks have never been cut off, not have I ever been paged to come unlock the suitcase.

The

Same exact thing I do except I go a step further if I am stashing the pistol case in a suit case. I put a cable lock around the handle of my locked pistol case and secure it to the internal frame of my rolling suitcase, and then I lock the suitcase itself. :D

One of the check in ladies my last time flying with my pelican case actually laughed at the comically huge padlocks I use. :)

Agreed on the large pelican case. I can't tell you how many times I've opened my luggage to find a TSA card inside telling me they conducted a secondary search. If I had non TSA approved locks on the bag, they'd been cut off. No point in putting outside non TSA locks on a bag IMO.. based on my experience. I used to fly several times a month on business but no longer.

YMMV.

From TSA web site

When firearms are involved the TSA lock rules do not apply.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I flew with my first C & R-purchased handgun up from N. Carolina to BWI on Southwest. The counter staff was an older-looking woman who seemed to be experienced but I was careful to use the words, "I need to declare my gun" (not pistol, handgun) before placing it on the counter. She was very nonchalant about it, probably had done it hundreds of times down there.

Friendly, helpful, no problems whatsoever.

In your case, I would let the airlines know about the clerk in question and suggest some additional training. HER panic and reaction had the potential to create a lot of problems.....

31bv5

Apr 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Flown with firearms From several large metro airports with no problems, and no attitude from the airline reps/TSA either. Sorry for your luck OP.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Glocks are easily detected by a metal detector.

You should NEVER use TSA accessible locks on any gun case.

What's wrong with you people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom