• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    While I was in Dallas, TX I bought 5 boxes of 7.62x39 ammo at Cabela's. I figured I would just send it via UPS to my house back here. It turns out that it would cost $17 for ground shipping, so I decided to put it in my checked luggage.

I confirmed that my airline allows ammo in the checked luggage and it conformed to the TSA regulations. I got to the airport (DFW) and the woman behind the counter didn't know what to do. She wanders off for a couple of minutes and tells we need to take my luggage to the TSA agent. Walked down to the TSA agent who took the bag, opened it, confirmed the ammo was ok and sent it on it's way.

I assume this is pretty much the same way they handle firearms in luggage.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    What aboput flying with Ammo?

What experiences have folks had with flying out of BWI with ammo in checked luggage. I am visiting family in Texas next month and am taking a couple of boxes of .22 magnum that I dug out of a closet to a cousin -- I don't have a .22 mag and he does. In return he has a couple of spare boxes of 9mm that I will be bringing home. Any advice on packing it and dealing with the airline (United)?

John

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    What experiences have folks had with flying out of BWI with ammo in checked luggage. I am visiting family in Texas next month and am taking a couple of boxes of .22 magnum that I dug out of a closet to a cousin -- I don't have a .22 mag and he does. In return he has a couple of spare boxes of 9mm that I will be bringing home. Any advice on packing it and dealing with the airline (United)?

John

Honestly it might be easier just to mail it. I don't know how many boxes we are talking here though.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Honestly it might be easier just to mail it. I don't know how many boxes we are talking here though.

The cost, at least for me, was prohibitive. Five boxes of 7.62x39 would have cost over $17 to ship. No problem putting it in your checked bag. Just inform the person at the check-in counter that you have ammo. TSA may need to inspect the bag, but it wasn't a big deal.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    United alows 11 lbs. of ammo in original boxes or boxes designed for ammunition. I am not sure if you must declare it or not. To be safe, i would declare it to the counter rep.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

John

United alows 11 lbs. of ammo in original boxes or boxes designed for ammunition. I am not sure if you must declare it or not. To be safe, i would declare it to the counter rep.

As said before, just make sure it is in the original carton or carton design to carry ammo (including magazines). Nothing can be loose. No need to declare ammo in checked bags. I would however make sure you put it on the top of whatever else you pack and not pack any other valuables in that bag. They will most likely subject your bag to a secondary screening. Almost every time I travel with ammo the bag gets a second look. Otherwise no big deal.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you leave mags loaded, the ends must be taped closed per TSA. United has prohibited me on a couple of flights I've taken. I wouldn't recommend it as you don't know who you're going to get at the counter. Some reps are ignorant and are difficult about it, some not. Not worth the hassle IMO.

TaiChih

May 9, 2012
    per TSA regulations:

To avoid issues that could impact your travel and/or result in law enforcement action, here are some guidelines to assist you in packing your firearms and ammunition:

All firearms must be declared to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    The term firearm includes:
    Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.
    The frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer.
    Any destructive device.
    *Please see, for instance, United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44 for information about firearm definitions.

The firearm must be unloaded.
    The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
     If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the checked bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
    TSA must resolve all alarms in checked baggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
    If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
    Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
    Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
    TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
    Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.

TaiChih

May 9, 2012
    On a side note, even if I don't travel with a firearm, I usually always put my clothes in a hard side pelican rifle case when I fly. It always puts the airport personnel on edge when I try to tell them, "it's just clothes". It does however always gets special treatment, because wherever I arrive to my destination, it never goes on the carousel and is always hand delivered back to me.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    If you leave mags loaded, the ends must be taped closed per TSA. United has prohibited me on a couple of flights I've taken. I wouldn't recommend it as you don't know who you're going to get at the counter. Some reps are ignorant and are difficult about it, some not. Not worth the hassle IMO.

I have never been told to tape the mags and I fly at least 6 times a year with loaded mags and they check my bag every time . Where in the regs is that written?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Realize that when you fly, the liabilty by the airline is limited to $1250 per checked bag. If the value is above that, you must purchase excess insurance to cover loss or damage.

The good news is, the airline takes MUCH better care of baggage with excess insurance, as they self insure.

We used to travel a lot with our over/under shotguns. No problems. No over reaction. On thing was strange was the every agent knew how to do excess insurance, EXCEPT in Atlanta (flying mainly Delta then). We got to know the supervisor quite well. :)

I did have one person who wanted to look into the chambers to ensure it was unloaded, no matter that it was disassembled. :)

But one trip out of BWI, everyone in the premier access line had a firearm. :)

BTW, in the early 90s, the Firearms Declaration tag was required to be visible on the outside of the case (gun case or suitcase if the gun was in a case inside a suitcase). Nothing like targeting your luggage.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    On a side note, even if I don't travel with a firearm, I usually always put my clothes in a hard side pelican rifle case when I fly. It always puts the airport personnel on edge when I try to tell them, "it's just clothes". It does however always gets special treatment, because wherever I arrive to my destination, it never goes on the carousel and is always hand delivered back to me.

And you do this because........?

Sent from somewhere in the world.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have never been told to tape the mags and I fly at least 6 times a year with loaded mags and they check my bag every time . Where in the regs is that written?

TSA has changed the wording, but it used to specifically say the ends of loaded magazines must be taped closed to secure the ammunition.

Some counter folks still don't like loaded mags. A live round can pop out of an open magazine, hence the rule which seems to have been eiminated,but an open ended loaded magazine is not SECURE.

While it doen't specifically say it any longer, some older wiser counter agents may remember the rule and require it anyway. Why chance it? Tape the ends closed and no issues.
    • Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.

Last edited:

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    Just to make sure, it is legal for an average Maryland citizen, no CCA, not law enforcement, etc., to transport my handgun from Frederick to BWI, in a TSA approved and locked container and check it on an airplane by declaring it as noted in this thread?

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    A funny story: During the 80s, I was detailed to the State Dept on a protection detail. I walked up on a flight to NY with my protectee. I was wearing a Chief Special 2" on my ankle and had a Colt OP 4" in my shoulder holster. In addition, I had a loaded, with one in throat, fully auto Uzi in my brief case. The following week, flying for pleasure, with the SAME credentials in my pocket, they made me open every one of my 22 boxes of film even though I could legally carry a SMG on board. It didn't make sense.

Retired, I fly South West out of BWI a lot. They never give me a hassle with my firearm in my checked luggage. I have to remember that the ammo needs to be in a separate container.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom