• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I thought this experience could be useful to someone. Back around Thanksgiving, I was flying home to western Colorado and decided to bring my new Taurus 4" .22LR revolver and try it out. Also I wanted for the first time to learn how to properly transport firearms on an airline. After reading hours of advice online, TSA regulations, and calling the airline (United) ahead of time, I decided to purchase a minimal plastic gun case and combination lock, and carry this lockable case INSIDE my suitcase. Afterall, a small gun case would not only stick out like a sore thumb (in fact the airlines are forbidden from marking the outside of your luggage as containing a firearm), but very likely would not make it through the luggage conveyor.

When I notified the lady at the ticket counter at check-in that I had a firearm to check, the words were barely out of my mouth, when she went into panic/stress mode. I asked her if there was a form I needed to fill out, and she got it for me and started barking orders. The first thing I needed to do was open the case and verify that the handgun was not loaded. From years of training in gun safety, my first response would have been to open it and show her that it was indeed unloaded, but as soon as my hands started to get close to touching the gun, she yelled at me not to touch it! From there I backed off a good 5' from the counter, just to put her at ease.

The next hurdle was that she thought I could not put my gun inside my suitcase. I had already printed out the instructions from United which I showed her, and told her that as long as my gun is inside the locked case, there is nothing saying you cannot put that case inside your checked luggage. And afterall, where else was I supposed to put it, being a triangular case that obviously held a handgun? Fortunately another employee stepped in and told her it was alright. From there we had no more issues.

Lessons learned: First I would say that how you word "I have a handgun" [that I would like to check] is extremely important. Perhaps it would be better to start off with something like, "I have a regulated item that I need to declare," to prepare her ahead of time, before you say what it is. In fact I think it would be a good idea if the airline allowed you to declare it when you check in online, just like you declare other checked bags. This could help avoid panic and also the bad situation of you forgetting to declare it (possibly missing your flight while you explain to security that you really did forget). Another thing that I thought I will do in the future is to use something like a cable lock to visibly verify to someone unfamiliar with firearms that it is not operable.

The return flight, leaving a small western redneck town where hunters fly in and out all the time, was uneventful and routine. Those ladies were used to guns, and no more alarmed by a firearm than if it were a fishing rod. What a relief that was, and made me homesick!

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    Maybe this was her first time. I've never had anyone react so strongly, but have definitely noticed the difference between BWI and (in my case) Bismarck, ND. The folks at BWI have always been knowledgeable and by the numbers. The folks in Bismarck are more like - you know the drill so make it easy for me.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I travel with my guns a lot and have never had 1 issue. Most of the time when I declare it is in my suitcase they just ask is it in a locked case, and thats as far as it goes.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    similar story here. BWI was like i was her daughters rapist. caught in the act. returning from tucson i had a 10 minute conversation about my glock 27 and how its a coincidence that she had a glock 26.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I haven't had any issues flying either. I have mine in a large pelican case with non tsa locks. I also keep everything I don't want to walk out of my bags like cash knives camera.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The last time I flew with a HG it was December of 2001. I was going from Baltimore to New Orleans. My G27 was securely in the holster on my belt with the extra mag in my jacket pocket. The Senior Flight Attendant and the Captian were the only other people who knew. The only thing that I was told by the Captain was "Thanks for flying with us and I'll call if I need you."

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Best reaction I've ever got was at a small midwest airport. "Mind if I ask what kind of guns you have in the case?". I told him what was in the case, his reply was "can I see it?" in a good way. :)

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I was flying through DFW morning and the United Check In greeter tool one look at my pelican case, gave me a warm smile and said, "right this way darlin".

No charge for oversize either.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've been traveling with firearms for nearly 20 years, never had much trouble. But my phrasing is, "I need a firearm card for this piece of luggage."

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    good responses

Thanks for the responses. Looks like the consensus is that flying with a sidearm should be no big deal as it was for me. No doubt if I was better looking as the rest of you are, she would have whisked me right through. ;)

Also thanks for the advice, I got some new ideas for next time to make it a little easier.

:thumbsup:

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    I fly back to Vt every fall for deer season and have never had a problem checking in my rifle. The attitude of the counter person does vary a lot.

However, I do have one question. I am required to complete a form stating the firearm is unloaded. After signing the form, it must go inside the gun case that only I can open. When I get to deer camp, I unlock the case and throw out the aforementioned form that nobody has seen. What is the purpose of the form ?

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I've had this discussion with counter personnel many times. Putting the card inside your locked case defeats it's purpose. The card states that you have declared the firearm to the airline and that it is unloaded. If the TSA opens your bag and can't see the card, they have no way of knowing the status of the firearm since you are the only one who can unlock it according to TSA regs.

This lack of knowledge by counter personnel amazes me eery time I have this discussion. If they object I ask to see a supervisor.

Glocktalk has a good thread on travel.

Google Macs guide to flying with firearms.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I had no problems. When I mentioned that I had an unloaded firearm to declare to the person telling people which luggage clerk to go to he said cool! He directed me to a person who has experience handling firearms. The whole process was easy, I had no problems at all.

I think next time, just in case, I will keep a second lock in my carry on as a back up. You have to be available if you are paged in case they decide to inspect it later on. If they cut the lock, you will not be allowed to have it on the plane at all. i didn't have any problems, but it might not be a bad idea to have a back up lock just in case, someone decides to inspect it and you aren't there to open the lock for them. It could be very inconvenient to say the least if they cut the lock off to inspect it.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Since the form you fill out is called a "firearm declaration", I always just say that I have a firearm to declare.

That's actually how I worded it, but I don't think she heard anything past the word "firearm." In fact she asked me to repeat it, as though she wasn't sure she heard what she thought she did. Maybe it was her first time. It didn't seem to me like she was prepared for this or had every done it before. When the 2nd agent got involved (who obviously had some knowledge) everything went more smoothly.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I've had this discussion with counter personnel many times. Putting the card inside your locked case defeats it's purpose. The card states that you have declared the firearm to the airline and that it is unloaded. If the TSA opens your bag and can't see the card, they have no way of knowing the status of the firearm since you are the only one who can unlock it according to TSA regs.

This lack of knowledge by counter personnel amazes me eery time I have this discussion. If they object I ask to see a supervisor.

Glocktalk has a good thread on travel.

Google Macs guide to flying with firearms.

I've had both experiences. BWI made me put it inside the locked pelican case (which makes sense to me, because you can use that case as checked baggage by itself... it would be impossible to place the card on the outside).

Another airport (ICT) had me put the small pelican case (locked) inside of my larger suitcase and just sit the declaration form on top of the pelican case.

As far as TSA not being able to see the card.... pretty sure they can see it on the xray machine. if they wanted you to open the case so they could check everything out, they'd page you.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Never had any issues. Good morning, I'm flying to Texas and checking 3 bags. (pointing to the pelican case) I have a firearm to declare in this case.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    TSA can see ghe card if it's outside the locked container. They may see it if it's locked inside the case. I asked a TSA X ray operator this very thing. The issue is if another search is visually conducted and the card can't be seen. The bag won't go on the plane unless they can reach you to unlock the case.

Your point about using your hard case as checked luggage is correct and the card goes go inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom