• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    How does everyone know theres not one in the pipe?

as an FYI Weapons conditions from the Navy Small Arms Manual for pistols:

Condition 1 Safety on (M9), slide forward, magazine inserted,
    round in chamber, hammer forward
    Condition 2 Does not apply to M9 or M11 pistol
    Condition 3 Safety on (M9), slide forward, magazine inserted,
    chamber empty
    Condition 4 Safety on (M9), slide forward, magazine removed,
    chamber empty

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    No i meant looking at the pic of her carrying how can you tell it is cond 3? Not questioning anynones opinion......just trying to get educated.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If you practice it enough, you can go from cond 3 to cond 1 in very short order...

Unless your getting punched in the face, stabbed, kicked etc.

I would NEVER carry Condition 3. When I carry I always have one in the chamber, a topped off mag and a spare mag.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I just want to personally thank everyone in the thread for no one saying "The real safety is my finger. I know because I saw the guy say it in Blackhawk Down." God how I hate reading that on the Interwebz. That needs to go right up there with Rebecca Black videos on the MDS offensive list.

As for carrying conditions, I think it's what the person chooses. There are ups and downs to all methods. But the bottom line is a gun that's left at home because the owner didn't feel safe with their carrying manner does no one any good.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I just want to personally thank everyone in the thread for no one saying "The real safety is my finger. I know because I saw the guy say it in Blackhawk Down." God how I hate reading that on the Interwebz.

I get the impression that a lot of people who say this, don't wear seat belts in cars, which is basically the same rationale. Failures and accidents DO happen, regardless of how careful you try to be. The goal is to statistically reduce the odds of a harmful incident to infinitesimally small levels, by setting up multiple levels of failure protection. Keeping your finger off the trigger is #1, obviously, but it should never be the only level of protection against a catastrophe. The OP in the "AD?? No way, not me" thread clearly demonstrated this by having his pistol pointed in a safe direction during a high-risk moment, thus preventing what could have been a tragedy.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Topside watch on the boat, or sometimes on watch underway, we were in condition 3 with the 1911. Mostly due to the fact that we were issued crappy Navy Holsters.
    Underway we remained that way because inside a steel tube you don't want to put one in the chamber unless you intend to use it. But we didn't go to condition 4, because if you really needed it someone was probably going to be too close in a hurry to allow you to insert a mag. Hell most of the places on the boat you had to turn sideways, and go chest to chest, for two people to get through the passageways at the same time.

Hmm, reminds me of the line from Red October, "Things in here don't react well to bullets."

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    One can make a serpa fail easily. Those issues are tied to the safety issues and without serious effort you can make it fail with dirt, gravel, or snow.

What are some of the issues with serpa holsters? The only one I've heard of is people being stupid about how they press the button to draw, and end up with their finger inside the trigger guard and running the risk of an AD. I have a serpa holster I use for a replica Sig when I play Airsoft, and I had to try really hard to make myself do that, so I never had that issue and I haven't had any real 'training' whatsoever lol.

Just curious as to what the other issues you're talking about are.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I just want to personally thank everyone in the thread for no one saying "The real safety is my finger. I know because I saw the guy say it in Blackhawk Down." God how I hate reading that on the Interwebz. That needs to go right up there with Rebecca Black videos on the MDS offensive list.

As for carrying conditions, I think it's what the person chooses. There are ups and downs to all methods. But the bottom line is a gun that's left at home because the owner didn't feel safe with their carrying manner does no one any good.

:thumbsup: I carry a Sig P220 cartridge chambered hammer released...its single and double action so I can either pull the hammer back or just pull the trigger.

Still one of the best scenes in a movie...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Attachments

• finger.jpg
      finger.jpg
      9.7 KB · Views: 92

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    No matter what, she isn't in Maryland!! Saw a guy open carrying at a Bass Pro in VA last Sunday and pointed him out to my son. He said that is cool, to which I said sadly that is what you'll probably never see in MD.

Feb 28, 2013
    No matter what, she isn't in Maryland!! Saw a guy open carrying at a Bass Pro in VA last Sunday and pointed him out to my son. He said that is cool, to which I said sadly that is what you'll probably never see in MD.

But it's for the children, ya know. Nothing but "wild west insanity" over there in VA. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom