• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    While I have other holsters, I mainly use this one as my primary carry holster. It's a Galco, with great retention.

It rides high and is very comfortable. It's nice for open carry, because it's not hanging off my hip. It rides close to the body and remains stationary.

Attachments

• DSCN0377.JPG
      DSCN0377.JPG
      105.7 KB · Views: 256

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    While I have other holsters, I mainly use this one as my primary carry holster. It's a Galco, with great retention.

It rides high and is very comfortable. It's nice for open carry, because it's not hanging off my hip. It rides close to the body and remains stationary.

I see 2 problem with that holster IMO. Especially if carried C&L.

#1 The Trigger is slightly exposed. Something can get in there.

#2 The Safety is not shielded from your body/clothing from what I can see. This can allow the Thumb Safety to be disengaged by movement, clothing, or some external force.

If the gun is carried C&L and the safety is bumped off something could contact the trigger and cause the weapon to discharge.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The Woman in the picture is carrying a 1911 which tells me she is not a novice, which also means she may be aware of the safety possibility issues with the Serpa.

i'd be willing to bet there have been more AD/ND's by folks dropping the hammer on their 1911s to be more 'safe,' than with folks having AD/ND using the Serpa holsters.

one also needs to take into consideration how many serpa's are out there (millions?) vs the # of AD/ND. without knowing that, it's pure speculation how inherently safe/unsafe the serpa is vs everything else.

while there may be or probably are "better" retention holsters out there, i haven't felt the need to look for them. when i open carry (seldomly) or do idpa or 3 gun events, the serpa has worked just fine for me.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i'd be willing to bet there have been more AD/ND's by folks dropping the hammer on their 1911s to be more 'safe,' than with folks having AD/ND using the Serpa holsters.

one also needs to take into consideration how many serpa's are out there (millions?) vs the # of AD/ND. without knowing that, it's pure speculation how inherently safe/unsafe the serpa is vs everything else.

while there may be or probably are "better" retention holsters out there, i haven't felt the need to look for them. when i open carry (seldomly) or do idpa or 3 gun events, the serpa has worked just fine for me.

You have chosen your holster and I doubt anything that anyone will say or show you will sway you, so it is what it is. I dont believe my comments will make ANY Serpa owner discard usage of their Serpa but hopefully it will better educate people looking to make a future holster purchase.

One can make a serpa fail easily. Those issues are tied to the safety issues and without serious effort you can make it fail with dirt, gravel, or snow.

In the end I hope the woman in the photo has proven her gun on the range, and knows her options.

I personally depise Open Carry because I prefer the element of surprise. I still think a woman carrying is a good thing as long as she is safe about it.

For example, a woman stuffing a Chambered Keltec in main compartment of a Purse is a recipe for disaster as any object can cause it to discharge unintentionally. A purse with a built in holster is better but its separate from the body and can be taken.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    If that Holster is issued to you, then you have to make due with what they give out. Same as for a Service Weapon.

My point is there are known safety issues with serpas. We can battle about the cause and say its a bad design, or a training issue. Truth is that there is a lot of training schools that don't allow them for these reasons. IMO they are chosen because they are more affordable compared other options.

The Woman in the picture is carrying a 1911 which tells me she is not a novice, which also means she may be aware of the safety possibility issues with the Serpa.

IMO the Serpa is LESS prone to cause an accident on a C&L weapon because after the draw is when the safety is removed. On guns like SIGS, and Glocks where there is no manual safety the possibility of an accident is amplified.

I use good holsters because I have a choice and the means to acquire the best gear. Serpas are not one of them nor is any Blackhawk gear.

That is an assumption at best that she's not a novice. As a matter of fact the Serpa was not issued, it was by choice because of the durability and safety from wearing it on a thigh perspective. The affordability aspect made it no cheaper than that of your average Safariland thigh holster. Although with respect to your comment they are now a little cheaper, but had no bearing on my choice to purchase. My Sig fits like a glove in there and have carrying it for a few years now and couldn't be happier. I have heard of all the 'horror' stories and I have to say that it didn't sway me just like the military banning Magpul Mags, we still issue them. So does AACo, HoCo, PG...etc. To each his own. :thumbsup:

I do not like how your trigger is exposed, and exactly like mentioned before your safety is vulnerable to being released thus causing an accidental discharge.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Just playing Devil's Advocate and not trying to be argumentative...wouldn't there have to be a "perfect storm" of thumb safety disengaged, grip safety depressed and something in the trigger for it to be imminently dangerous?

Again, I have other holsters, so switching is not a big deal. Just thought I would bring up the factors for a discharge.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Just playing Devil's Advocate and not trying to be argumentative...wouldn't there have to be a "perfect storm" of thumb safety disengaged, grip safety depressed and something in the trigger for it to be imminently dangerous?

Again, I have other holsters, so switching is not a big deal. Just thought I would bring up the factors for a discharge.

Malfunctions on 1911's do happen involving the grip safety quite frequently allow few resistance to disengage the safety.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Malfunctions on 1911's do happen involving the grip safety quite frequently allow few resistance to disengage the safety.

You appear to claim that the grip safety frequently malfunctions on the 1911, which is absurd.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    It certainly could be Alaska. I see it every time I venture into town (Fairbanks). Hell, I'm sitting in barnes and nobel as I type this with a Kimber Grand Raptor II in a Galco holster on my right hip with 2 spare 8 round magazines in a Galco DMC on the left front all carried on a Galco belt. All concealed of course. My Utah permit is meaningless here. But open carry is certainly VERY popular here and it's great that it's so accepted that no one seems to even notice.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    sorry to go off topic

but the "plastic" holsters seem to leave rub marks on the gun

granted, it doesn't hurt function but I use the fiber holsters since they don't mark up the gun

am I missing something with the plastic holsters

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    sorry to go off topic

but the "plastic" holsters seem to leave rub marks on the gun

granted, it doesn't hurt function but I use the fiber holsters since they don't mark up the gun

am I missing something with the plastic holsters

If you draw enough, any holster will wear the finish. I am proud of the finish wear on my g19. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom