• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I have both a semi (1911) and a revolver. I keep both clean, properly lubricated, and fed with quality factory ammunition. Neither has given me a FTF yet. If needed I would use whichever was closer.

I practice with both and am faster and more accurate with the 1911. The revolver is simpler in terms of mechanical procedures to remember. Both will be more reliable than me if I just rolled out of bed.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    My HK USP COMPACT 9mm or my Walther PPQ 9mm definitely. My RIA 1911 .45 however seems to FTE often, wouldn't rely on it for HD.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I owned a revolver, but for now I'll stick with semi.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    For my bedside pistol, I've got a Glock 19 with a 15 round mag (one in the pipe) and if that's not enough I've got a 33 rounder near it. When I get a Benelli M4 it will become the bedside gun. If stuff gets real heavy my suppressed AR-15 SBR and several loaded mags are nearby.

Look at home invasions and armed robberies, you've got usually 2 or more suspects. I think I read a recent Pat Rogers article where he said there's a 62%+ chance of you having to fight off more than one attacker. If you have 2 or more perps in your house, do you really feel comfortable with 5-7 rounds? I wouldn't. No one ever asked for less firepower in a firefight. If your goal is to stay alive and you need to cheat with a high-capacity magazine, so be it.

Why don't our soldiers and police still carry wheelguns? I recently got a chance to run through a VirTra police training simulator where I had to react to a shooter pulling a gun out of his car during a DUI stop. I think I dumped 6-7 rounds into him before he dropped the gun (was no longer a threat). When his wife picked up the gun, I gave her 3 or 4 as well.

33-round magazine.... that's 5 and a half reloads with a 6-shot wheelgun. I don't care if you're Jerry Miculek, it's gonna be real tough to beat that kind of firepower.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    All I own are Semi's so it's a no brainer for me. Primary HD is a Glock 22 in a biometrics gunvault cabled to the bed ( I have 4 small grandchildren) with 2 extra mags (46 rounds total Ranger SXT. Backup is the Glock 27 in the safe with 2 spare mags ( 28 rounds ranger SXT. Neither pistol has ever had a FTF or FTE with over 3000 rounds thru them. I hope I never need either but WILL do whatever I need to do to protect my family and myself. Oh the Biometrics works great I open it every night and every morning to test it as I get in and out of bed.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I trust and prefer to carry a semi auto. That being said, you pick any semi auto you want and take it to the range vs. even a (relatively) low dollar wheel gun like a GP100. Take a dozen different kinds of ammo with you for each. The GP100 will eat them all. I'll bet the farm whatever pistol you choose will have a malfunction long before the GP100.

The GP-100 is not a crap gun. Yes it is not S&W Classic line expensive but it is about the same as a Glock 17 or 19. Actually, on Impact Guns web site, the Ruger is more expensive. (4" stainless GP-100 vs Glock 19)

My S&W M&P Pro, 9mm, has eaten every JHP I have fed it. Winchester PDX, various Hornady bullets, whatever bullet Blackhills uses and several Federal JHPs. The gun runs. Ball or JHP, it doesn't matter.

BTW wheel gun fans, please read Jeff Cooper's writings. He detailed how unburned powder can disable a revolver.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I trust me knowing what to do if my semi becomes untrustworthy at a critical time. The revolver trusts the missus doing the right thing when and if it needs to get in the game :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I trust my semis cuz I don't own any wheel guns. If I thought any of my semis were not 100% after using them for a while, I'd get rid of them.

Fortunately all mine are 100%.

I actually could carry any of them. And I do.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I never stated or implied it. I said relatively low dollar. They are the quality vs cost sweet spot when it comes to modern revolvers, in my opinion.

That is why I have one in my safe and many others here also own the same gun.

I still wish I had gotten a Security Six or Speed Six back when they were out.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I trust my semis cuz I don't own any wheel guns. If I thought any of my semis were not 100% after using them for a while, I'd get rid of them.

Amen. If it's not a minor issue/part that can be replaced/fixed and get it back to 100%, it's gone. Ask me about the Taurus I had. I don't think I got 250 rounds through it before SEVERAL, CRIPPLING failures broke any trust I had in its purpose as a defensive firearm.

If you shoot enough your gun will fail, but the chance of failure is due to Shooter > Ammunition > Magazine > Malfunction, in order of most likely to least likely. If your gun is a hunk of crap dump it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yes, I trust my life to a semi-auto pistol.

Nightstand duties goes to Glock G21, loaded w/ Federal 230 gr HST.

If anyone gets past that, I'm turnin' my wife loose, with her rubberhose filled with sand.
    You do NOT mess with a menopausal woman!!!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Every red blooded American needs at least one revolver. It doesn't matter what caliber, you just need one. The same with .22's.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Yes. My P226 eats and shits flawlessly. AR > Handgun > Knife > Hand To Hand Training

Let me flip the question around:

Do YOU trust you and your families lives to the chance that you will only need 6 shots? I don't.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I trust everything I Have if not I would have never picked it up.

I cant say this because if I see something that looks like alot of fun and/or its just a sweet deal I will pick it up. I have a MKII that I really love and its one of my favorite guns, but the thing jams like crazy, its a rimfire and it needs alot of work. I honestly only have 2 semi auto's that fit the bill for home defense (mainly because they are modern centerfires and completely unmodified) and the rest are pure novelty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom