• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Revolver's have issues, its just no one uses them anymore so its lost to history.

I trust and prefer to carry a semi auto. That being said, you pick any semi auto you want and take it to the range vs. even a (relatively) low dollar wheel gun like a GP100. Take a dozen different kinds of ammo with you for each. The GP100 will eat them all. I'll bet the farm whatever pistol you choose will have a malfunction long before the GP100.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Do you think we'll get the same results after several 4ft drop tests (onto concrete)? Maybe so with the Ruger.

I wasn't saying that revolvers are any less reliable, but I do think that their reliability is overstated...they are not as simple as most perceive.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    yes i do - I don't buy finicky firearms and i train with them at the range enough to know they they will fire reliably.

the only FTF I've ever experienced was due to miltec non-lube combined with months of use with no cleaning and cold weather.

my ruger p95 will eat any ammo that i've ever fed it from underpowered rounds to +p+ , brass, steal, it shoots it all.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Hope this is in the right section.

How many trust their's and their families lives on a semi auto pistol?

Personally I prefer a revolver strictly due to it's simplicity. Albeit that they tend to be a little more bulkier and could be heavier when loaded.

Just askin'.

For me the revolver is the simplest most fool proof. I have a revolver with Crimson Trace grips. Helps me aim in the dark.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    I prefer a semi-automatic rifle myself. :D

I used to keep a revolver and two speed loaders in my headboard, a gp100 4". I did not like the idea of keeping autopistol magazines loaded for prolonged periods of time. Additionally I did not like the idea of leaving an expensive autopistol out of the safe. Revolvers were a lot cheaper back then.

Most revolver trigger pulls are longer and heavier than most auto pistols.

All other things being equal this will make them more difficult to shoot accurately.

Now prices of revolvers have shot up and auto pistols have stayed about the same.

I switched to autopistol and a bunch of magazines I can rotate.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    The only FTF/FTE I've had in my G17 was with a round one of the guys sweeping the range gave me.

"You're shooting 9-mil, right?"
    "Yeah."
    "Here, do you want this?"
    "Sure, why not?"

Loaded it up a few times and it just wouldn't fire, so I just took it up to the counter man and he tossed it in his dud bucket. There was probably a reason it was laying on the floor. :rolleyes:

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    My Glocks, yes. My 1911, maybe. My M&P, no. I have a Rossi .357 and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. It works but its too small and the recoil is ugly.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    People have a separate night stand guns? My 'night stand' gun is also my 'carry' gun, my 'competition' gun, my ‘fighting’ gun, my 'plinking' gun, my 'training' gun, my 'practice gun' and my 'teach new people' gun (with a 22LR kit on it). My gun is a G19. I plan on picking up a 2nd and then a 3rd G19 (GSSF so 1 a year for me) and equip them identically to my current gun, so I have extras :D The only thing I need a different gun for is ankle carry (and I am still trying to decide) so I can carry more easily when I need to wear trim dress cloths.

And yes, I trust my auto loader.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    People have a separate night stand guns? My 'night stand' gun is also my 'carry' gun, my 'competition' gun, my ‘fighting’ gun, my 'plinking' gun, my 'training' gun, my 'practice gun' and my 'teach new people' gun (with a 22LR kit on it). My gun is a G19. I plan on picking up a 2nd and then a 3rd G19 (GSSF so 1 a year for me) and equip them identically to my current gun, so I have extras :D The only thing I need a different gun for is ankle carry (and I am still trying to decide) so I can carry more easily when I need to wear trim dress cloths.

I'm up to 40 firearms now, so yes, there are different firearms for different purposes. My "nightstand gun" is an AR-15 with an Aimpoint and a light. My "get home" pistol is a G23 I just picked up, and my "get home" rifle is a Mini-14. They're stored away until I need them. I picked them out as they're reliable with minimal maintenance.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I LIKE revolvers, and have no qualms about using them. But I have seen and experienced planty of malfunctions.

Crud , ie powder residue gets under extractor star , can tie up the gun. Ejector unscrews itself , can prevent gun from opening and or closing. While *usually* it is a matter of people messing with them , but mainspring tension screws can back themselves out to point of FTFs.

While there are no feeding issues, there can be ammo issues. Usuaally the root causes are in the chmber dimentions and/or headspace. There is one brand brand in particular that will often function with std press .38s , but will lockup with +Ps or Magnums.

Somthing else usually seen in poorly done "action jobs" , but I have also seen it in very high round count revolvers involves cumlative tolerance stacking. The shooter let's the trigger ALMOST all the way return , then starts new trigger stroke. Jam up ! Sometime can be jiggled loose , sometimes needs an armourer.

And of course the proverbial cylnder rusted in place.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hope this is in the right section.

How many trust their's and their families lives on a semi auto pistol?

Personally I prefer a revolver strictly due to it's simplicity. Albeit that they tend to be a little more bulkier and could be heavier when loaded.

Just askin'.

Not trying to muddy the waters but I do not trust any handgun to defend me and mine.

12 guage baby:D

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I do not trust mine or my families lives to any one gun. I have six guns that never see the inside of the safe. Four of these guns are semi automatic pistols. One is a pump shotgun and the other is a coach gun. The majority of my handguns are semi automatics, although I have a handful of revolvers. I only have a gun or two that I do not trust 100%.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My revolvers have never had a single issue and the snubby has had over 10k rounds through it but due to its sentimental value it now stays in the safe.

My cz was my nightstand gun(had to part with it) but now I'm back to the glock, and I sleep just fine :)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Either for me.

I dont buy junk.

I have faith that any of my Semi's will keep up with a wheel gun. I also train, although not enough, to clear the jams that might occur in a semi.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm up to 40 firearms now, so yes, there are different firearms for different purposes. My "nightstand gun" is an AR-15 with an Aimpoint and a light. My "get home" pistol is a G23 I just picked up, and my "get home" rifle is a Mini-14. They're stored away until I need them. I picked them out as they're reliable with minimal maintenance.

From the OP I was limiting my conversation to just handguns. I have a decent size and ever growing collection myself but my G19 encompases 99% (1% being when I am dressed up and need an ankle rig) of all my defensive needs as far as handguns go.

And of course there are different firearms for different purposes . . . I wouldnt take my savage 22 bolt action out to hunt deer. . .or would I :innocent0

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I trust my life with my XDm, which allows me to get to my Mossberg 500.

My XDm has over 1500 rounds through it without a single failure using many different manufacturers ammo. My Mossy works each and every time. Has so since the mid 80's when my Dad first bought it.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Kind of a strange OP. If I wouldn't trust the mechanism of a semi, why would I trust the mechanism of a revolver? Why not a single shot pistol? Just doesn't make sense to me. I like trust and use both semis and revolvers. I've seen both fail but rarely a reliable model.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Revolvers may be obsolescent, but not for reasons of reliability. If you don't mind the lack of rounds of gun, then the revolver doesn't have another negative feature that would prevent trust in the platform.

However I don't think a revolver would be my first choice unless we are talking about animal defense (revolvers still rule over pistols here). A modern, broken in auto-pistol, with good magazines, good ammo, and a trained shooter, has an advantage over the revolver. More rounds is important in shoot until he stops situations, as well as for multiple attackers. Handgun ammo just doesn't stop drugged up or even desperate attackers well enough to count on 1 or 2 hits from doing the job.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GP100 and would definitely trust it to work. But if I were going knowingly into a bad situation and was restricted to only a handgun, it would NOT be my first choice, even among the relatively small number of firearms that I own.

If in a relatively safe environment, then sure, no problem. In those situations the important thing is to have a firearm for the off chance, and highly unlikely situation that may come to you. Yeah, it can happen anywhere, but that doesn't mean that you take an AR-15 to mall, either. A j-frame is ample for that kind of environment. Heck, I carried less when I was in a state that allowed me to do so, at least caliber wise.

Gundahar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom