• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    Hope this is in the right section.

How many trust their's and their families lives on a semi auto pistol?

Personally I prefer a revolver strictly due to it's simplicity. Albeit that they tend to be a little more bulkier and could be heavier when loaded.

Just askin'.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    I don't even own a wheel gun so my answer is Yes, I trust my Auto(s) with mine/our lives...

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    It depends. If you are not willing to commit jam clearance drills to muscle memory in the dark you are better served by a revolver. Both have their advantages but it is definitely a personal decision.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I trust my Glock more than I trust any other handgun I own. My SAA clone is jam proof, but as far as practical self defense and a level playing field with what a potential intruder might be packing, I choose my Glock.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    I use a semi. That's what I train with. I think it is personal preference. No matter what you choose, training with that gun is the important thing.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Keep them clean, lubed, practice with them, ensure the ammo will cycle. 3400 rounds through my HK USP with no jams, no FTE's...works great. Others work fine too.

Yes, I do trust them.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I am outspoken fan of revolvers , but I don't overplay the reliability factor. I have seen as many revolvers choke in training as semis. I will carry either or both.

Revolvers ARE more tolerent of neglect, and have fewer (but not zero) ammo issues.

Semis can be good to go if : Quality gun to start with. Quality ammo that is compatable with said gun , and proven reliable. Kept reasonably clean and lube.

Revolvers OUGHT to be keep clean and lubed on similar schedule , but can still usually sorta function if covered in dust bunnies. But have seen them rusted immobile.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I love revolvers, but I trust my life all day to a Glock 22. It's good enough for on duty, it's good enough for my night stand.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I prefer a revolver for a "nightstand gun". Carry I can go either way. I train quite a bit with semi autos, 1911s being my preference, but even my clueless wife can pick up a revolver and pull the trigger and it goes bang.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Yes, I trust my HK 100%. Although if I have a choice, the LAST thing I'm grabbing is my pistol if someone breaks into my home.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    As anything in life, practice. If you go through hundreds of rounds through a semi auto without any major problems, there is no reason to believe it will fail. Same with a revolver practice. Don't just leave your "Night Stand Gun" in the night stand, take it out shoot it, blow the cob webs off of it every so often just so you are familiar with it. Don't plan to be a victim however be ready to prevent being a victim.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    A well-made revolver is no more reliable than a well-made automatic. Actually, I'd say the mechanism of a revolver is the more fragile of the two. Then there's the weight and capacity.

I enjoy shooting revolvers and they also look pretty, but for almost every practical purpose, and automatic is "better" (my opinion).

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I prefer my SIG over the King Cobra. SIG has been 100% reliable, holds more rounds, and is lighter although the .357 might deliver the message, "You done F'd up" a little bit quicker than a 9mm.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I shoot, carry and practice more with semi's than wheelguns - so I'll stick with what's already built into muscle memory.

For me it's practicality and preference. You MAY only need a few shots to achieve a task, but when the adrenaline dumps and things happen, I like knowing I have more than just a handful of rounds available to me.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    yes, been shooting for 20 years, and can count the jams and misfires on one hand and most of them came from the same gun

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    A well-made revolver is no more reliable than a well-made automatic. Actually, I'd say the mechanism of a revolver is the more fragile of the two. Then there's the weight and capacity.

I enjoy shooting revolvers and they also look pretty, but for almost every practical purpose, and automatic is "better" (my opinion).

I disagree with this statement. I own a few well made examples of each and have put thousands of rounds through both formats over the past 20+ years. I've never even once in that time had a jam or failure to fire when I pulled the trigger on a revolver. Can't say that for pistols.

I did have one revolver that needed to be returned for a factory defect repair, but I wouldn't put that one into the "quality" catagory. Even my most expensive pistols have at least had a failure to feed at one time or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom