• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Already received mine. No joy. Was watching the 16 mile backup on the bridge the other night, thinking wistfully how great a place this is to live watching all these people getting ready to pay $6 to cross the bridge 1 July, using $.04c extra a gallon gas. Yes, what a great place to live.

AGCLVP

Jan 27, 2009
    Unfortunately too many MSI members acted prematurely in response to the original ruling on Woollard. That is why AGC did not encourage its members to file applications.

There is no harm in the informal review provided you let them do the talking. You have made your case via the original application. Unless something has changed to strengthen your case say little.

Remember, everything you say or write is on the record. Learn what you can during the informal review. You will lose the informal but at least you will learn what position the MSP is taking on these applications. Use it as a recon operation. Please let me know what they say.

If you opt for a formal hearing before the HPRB, you will at least know what to expect from them at the hearing.

Support Take Back Maryland

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Sorry John, but I completely disagree with your opening paragraph. The right was declared by Judge Legg so it was the correct time to apply. Otherwise, had no one applied, Gansler would have been able to stand at the podium during the appeals hearings and profess that obviously the sheeple aren't being affected negatively by the existing rules since there hasn't been an influx of apps since Legg's ruling. I would like to know how many of the post stay apps were received. I'm just glad that our forefathers didn't sit back and say "let's see what the King does first, maybe things will work themselves out".

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    In addition, the MSP and the GA can't continue using their skewed statistic that 90-something percent of the persons that apply receive a permit.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    I received my disapproval letter on Saturday, June 15th. I Express Mailed my appeal to the Handgun Permit Review Board this morning, June 17th.

I am going to keep my application alive as long as possible. I am even willing to chip in several hundred dollars to get a lawsuit going if that will help.

At this point, it is about harrassing the O'Malley administration to make things as difficult as possible for his attempt at a Presidential run. I want him to learn the same thing that Glendening learned in 2000 after passing his Gun Safety Law. By the way, how is good ole' Parris's political career going these days?

Just as an FYI, I grew up in P.G. County, MD and have a lot of family still living in Maryland. That is why I am so interested in this.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I expect my denial letter on Monday.

From what others have reported, I suspect that MSP is trying to trick people by offering an informal review. I plan to respond to MSP AND directly to the HPRB asking for review.

Me, too, since I was Disapproved. I'm going directly to the Handgun Permit Review Board. Unless one has a business with deposits or the like, what can the Informal Review Superintendent say, "Oh, I see your point about the Constitution/2nd Amendment. We'll approve your application despite what the CA4 said. We'll send you a permit immediately. Our mistake."

The only reason for HPRB appeal is to be on record. That's it.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Anyone have the HPRB's phone number?

I'd like to verify that we have 10 days after the informal meet/greet with the Superintendent to make an official appeal with it.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Mine landed today. I was re-taping my hockey stick and cleaning my helmet when my wife comes up the driveway, "dum da dum dum" she says. She felt the envelope for something plastic-y as did I. No luck on my 2 page G&S explanation. I don't see the point of an informal review as I interpret it as a moot point. "Gee thanks for your money Mr. Bxxxxxn, but you're G&S was weak and you know Legg got tossed. Even though you're a registered Democrat, we still feel we provide a better service to the MD people." That's cool, I respect police. I think this game the MSP is playing will have serious repercussions. I feel the best thing is to go right to the HGRB. One irony is that I used the lack of police presence in my area as part of my G&S. There have been increased local AND state cars around my 'hood. I normally never see a MoCo local on my way to work. Over the past week, serious patrols. And I never, ever, ever, ever, ever see a MSP, but saw one this morning performing a traffic stop. I should play the lottery.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    I just brought the mail in. I found in it a letter from the MSP. It was dated June 13. According to Title 5-306 of the Annotated Code of Maryland, I have been Disapprovedin my request for a handgun permit. I am one of the "365" that applied post decision, pre stay. My letter requesting G&S was dated May 10. My G&S letter to them was sent June 5. I now have ten days to request an informal review of my application. If I do not want an informal review, I may appeal the Superintendent's decision directly to the Handgun Permit Review Board within the same ten days. I have not decided which of these two routes I will take. I was hoping that this process would take longer, but here we are.

Got mine too. I gave them 2 choices. 1) Honor my former police experience as stated on the application 2) hold my app till Gura files cert .

Obviously they did not . And a few years ago, the same Cpl. stated my police experience was worthless in his eyes. Even though its on the application.

NOTE TO ALL appealing .*********

The date of the document stated June 7th, I did not receive the document until Saturday, June 15th. The postmark stated June 11th, so they waited days before sending out.

Unfortunately, i have my formal interview with the same trooper that handled my case before. The same guy that told me police training was worthless, never answered emails or phone calls, informed me initially that my denial was due to 5 years separation of service ( i was in afghanistan) and told me its because i didnt have 5 years experience. All in the same sentence.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    The MSP "Disapproval" letter is a little fuzzy on the reviews, so I asked my wife to look at it, she being a english and mass communication major.
    She believes the letter is an "either-or" option to be made in the 10 day window. If one goes through the Informal Review, then they cannot apply to the Handgun Permit Review Board for relief. In short, you are given 10 days to do one or the other.
    That's our take.

Big Dog

Dec 16, 2012
    North East
    The letter seems to give an either or and they are pushing you to do the informal. It looks like it is confusing on purpose....

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I talked with Jean Goodman (410-339-5009) of the HPRB this morning.

Jean says we can pursue both the informal and formal routes, and have a separate 10 day window for each.

Based on that information, I will cite the date of my informal review in the subsequent letter to the Board so that it knows when their 10 day window begins.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Are thes reviews (informal/formal), by chance, open to the public? I wasn't able to attend the Annapolis hearings due to work travel and my mother's cancer surgery, but I'm up for providing moral support.

---
    Shamr0ck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom